Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Numa X Piano

On 2/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, AnotherScott said:

The K64U is the key, and on GHS, the key is mated to one of four hammers (heaviest for the lowest keys, lightest for the highest) whereas on the CP73's BHS, as expected, the same hammer is used throughout, but what the Syntaur options also show us is that the one that is used throughout the CP73 is the one that's used only on the lightest keys of the GHS. Whether there may be other differences based on how the key assembly mounts in the chassis or whatever, I don't know.

Interesting details.  I remember much handwringing by folks trying to discern difference between BHS and GHS.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed -  but for $3,000, it should! I guess my main takeaway from a lot of these comparison videos (and this one in particular) is how similar two boards can sound even when one costs way more than the other. You can sweat the details - and I do - but one of the things that's appealing about the concept of the Numa X 73 is that it's got the best form factor for gigging while sounding just about as good to the audience as these more expensive boards. All that is pending an actual try-out, of course, but I just don't think a bar crowd would notice a lot of the nuance between this one and another that costs several times more - and that's key if you're looking for a board to play out with (rather than a studio rig).

• Like 2

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

• 3 weeks later...

Heard from Sweetwater that the Numa X's are not due till mid April at the earliest. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 3/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, Noah DC said:

I find I actually like every sound better on the Legend '70s than on the Numa X Piano. Of course there's a cost difference. But the pianos and wurlis are significantly better on the Legend IMO. Something about the piano attack on the Numa X Piano just bugs me.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

6 hours ago, Amaryllis said:

not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Studiologic recently released a new (free) plugin with some APs, EPs and pads: https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/

does anyone know if these are the same sounds that are in the Numa x Piano?

I seriously hope not! 

Here for the gear.

7 hours ago, Amaryllis said:

not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Studiologic recently released a new (free) plugin with some APs, EPs and pads: https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/

I’ll have to try this one. If the app is any indication, I seriously hope not!

Here for the gear.

8 hours ago, Amaryllis said:

I had the numa x 73 for a few weeks and I’ve downloaded the app too. They are definitely from the same camp but the Numa is much more polished. I find the app is still in its infancy, some samples fade out quickly but hey it’s free and they’ll probably update it down the line. But I wouldn’t judge the Numa X based on the app sounds at all. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:51 AM, Mighty Motif Max said:

I find I actually like every sound better on the Legend '70s than on the Numa X Piano. Of course there's a cost difference. But the pianos and wurlis are significantly better on the Legend IMO. Something about the piano attack on the Numa X Piano just bugs me.

8 hours ago, francesco verni said:

The Legend'70s Compact + modules in the videos actually costs less than 3000$. It depends on the model. The model played in the video costs around $2640  with cables, pedals and so on at Kraft....😉 

Yeah, I guess it's all really just a matter of priorities. I see a lot of time and effort put in around here slicing and dicing the minute differences between various extremely expensive keyboards. This is a very legit pastime! And I do it too when looking for gear I'd play at home on studio monitors.  But (again, just based on my personal priorities) it makes much less sense when you're talking about a board intended for gigging the way most people gig - i.e. in bars, restaurants, and small venues. No one in the audience or your band is going to be able to hear these differences in Wurlitzer decay or piano attack, etc. - or if they can, it is to a negligible degree. This adds a huge amount of relative value to boards like the Numa and other smaller, more affordable gear with built-in audio interfaces: they beat the form factor of boards costing thousands more and as of recently, the audience can't tell the difference in tone. Even if the audience could tell the difference, you can just plug in a $200 iPad or Surface tablet and with one cable and one click of a button, play Ravenscroft or Pianoteq, which sound as good or better than the $2-3k boards. This all may be way off topic (apologies) and I'm not saying that sound and form factor are the only variables - or even that the Numa X Piano is a worthwhile board (jury still out). Just making this one small point about how people often underestimate the very recent loss in relative value of expensive boards resulting from advances in sound quality and built-in audio interface technology.

• Like 1

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Really wish I could try one of these out. I was set on a CP73 but looks like I won't be able to get my hands on one until at least late summer if not the fall. Looking around a bit more now and this seems like a great option, but I just want to make sure it feels right for me. May also take a stab at a GrandStage.

3 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Really wish I could try one of these out. I was set on a CP73 but looks like I won't be able to get my hands on one until at least late summer if not the fall. Looking around a bit more now and this seems like a great option, but I just want to make sure it feels right for me. May also take a stab at a GrandStage.

I checked L&M online and they have new YC73s in stock in Edmonton Mayfield & South locations. That one is on my radar as well, having purchased and returned the 61, and just the other day demoed a YC88 in the local L&M, just to reaffirm I didn't like it any better on second look.

Here for the gear.

Well I agree. But consider those thousands spending in the red keys...  consider those gig where the people listening to you are music lovers / or professional musicians.  For sure, they are few but the more reliable in terms of high quality reaction to you, the more passionate and true. And using a plug in it is not the same of having your own instrument immediatly... you know the feeling with your beloved instrument ....😆 On the other hand, is beautiful and necessary to have portable instrument to bring live music to everybody, always. 

23 hours ago, francesco verni said:

The Legend'70s Compact + modules in the videos actually costs less than 3000$. It depends on the model. The model played in the video costs around $2640  with cables, pedals and so on at Kraft....😉 

For me,- the dealbreakers are:

1.)

layout of PB- and Mod- wheels

2.)

There´s no Legend 70 model hosting ALL the modules being offered available.

When you want the synth, you have to ditch another one or buy a 2nd instrument.

External module and all the other are essential,- at least for me.

The stuff from external MIDI module should be part of the mostleft "master module" and being available in every Legand 70 model "out of the box".

B.t.w.,- I really hate I cannot buy a Physis Piano K4 (non EX) model anymore !!!

☺️

A.C.

• Like 1

I consider the rivals... Only NS3 has the same section of the Legend... Am I wrong? Editable live from the Panel... 

Which is the "Plus" ? IMO is that in the morning you have a vintage keyboards (i.e.  Rhodes wurly sounds, great Clavi, acoustic piano and Strings or other sounds from Sound collection) and in the evening you can go in studios with (e.piano, A.piano, Synths and master keybaord... And what is the next module? Probably one new section that will give a new flaw to this naked keybaord. It sounds great to me!

You are right considering the fact the there are 5 slots and 6 modules. Probably solving this means make it the ultimate Keyboard 🤣

59 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

For me,- the dealbreakers are:

1.)

layout of PB- and Mod- wheels

2.)

There´s no Legend 70 model hosting ALL the modules being offered available.

When you want the synth, you have to ditch another one or buy a 2nd instrument.

External module and all the other are essential,- at least for me.

The stuff from external MIDI module should be part of the mostleft "master module" and being available in every Legand 70 model "out of the box".

B.t.w.,- I really hate I cannot buy a Physis Piano K4 (non EX) model anymore !!!

☺️

A.C.

19 hours ago, drawback said:

I checked L&M online and they have new YC73s in stock in Edmonton Mayfield & South locations. That one is on my radar as well, having purchased and returned the 61, and just the other day demoed a YC88 in the local L&M, just to reaffirm I didn't like it any better on second look.

Yeah, maybe I should go try one out. I kind of crossed it off the list even though it would check a lot of boxes. At the very least, it's the only one I can actually get my hands on right now.

Has anyone confirmed that the audio interface in the Numa Piano X instruments works in the same way as on the Yamahas? You connect your iPhone/iPad and the iDevice automatically recognizes the MIDI interface and receives incoming MIDI data and then automatically uses the audio interface and sends audio through it? And you can dial a split for the external USB zone on the Numa as well as easily control the incoming USB audio volume?

It's still baffling to me that nobody compared TP/110 to the TP/100LR in terms of touch-weight yet. I personally found TP/100 in my SL73 unbearably heavy and sold it with a relief.

And here's a curious fact. I created my own piano forum a few months ago and we had a little discussion about TP/110:

https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/227-studiologic-numa-x-piano-fatar-tp110

What's really funny is every month Google sends me statistics about how people end up in my forum from Google search results. Well, guess what, ever since I created that discussion, it's the top 1 result that leads people to the forum 🤣 Apparently people are interested in that action but can't find a lot of info on the Internet.

8 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Has anyone confirmed that the audio interface in the Numa Piano X instruments works in the same way as on the Yamahas? You connect your iPhone/iPad and the iDevice automatically recognizes the MIDI interface and receives incoming MIDI data and then automatically uses the audio interface and sends audio through it? And you can dial a split for the external USB zone on the Numa as well as easily control the incoming USB audio volume?

It's still baffling to me that nobody compared TP/110 to the TP/100LR in terms of touch-weight yet. I personally found TP/100 in my SL73 unbearably heavy and sold it with a relief.

And here's a curious fact. I created my own piano forum a few months ago and we had a little discussion about TP/110:

What's really funny is every month Google sends me statistics about how people end up in my forum from Google search results. Well, guess what, ever since I created that discussion, it's the top 1 result that leads people to the forum 🤣 Apparently people are interested in that action but can't find a lot of info on the Internet.

It could be that similar to what happened with their Numa Compact, the buzz was created at least a year before the product was available. Meanwhile other products sucked the air out of the room. The NuMax will catch on, but it's going to be at a slower pace and lower excitement than if Studiologic had announced it a few weeks before shipping it worldwide.

Here for the gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on another forum:

My epic journey has no end. So far I purchased a Yamaha YC61 that I loved but returned because I wanted a 73-key hammer action. I then ordered a Yamaha YC73 B-stock which was great but it had a faulty encoder knob. I returned it and ordered a brand new one which was backordered and I was initially promised May 31st but Thomann informed me it would slide one more month and will be available in July 😢 So, I just canceled it and ordered a Studiologic Numa X Piano 73. It has the Fatar TP/110 action which this very discussion is about. It will be in stock on May 6th and should be then shipped to me. Hopefully I will like it 😀

• Like 1

Similar journey for me.  I have a SA big box near me, so I'm able to demo most boards without eating the 2-way shipping costs if I return it.  I just had a YC73 that I played for a week and really wanted to love - but didn't; nothing terrible, just the size/weight not my preference.  Returned it and ordered a Numa X 73 to see if I like it better, and if the build quality is up to par.  My daily-driver is a Viscount Legend70s 73, which is TP100 and implemented very well; I don't mind it at all.  What I hope is that the TP110 will be even more comfortable, but not as different as the BHS on the YC73 -- I would not want to switch back-and-forth between those two regularly.  Here's hopin' to May deliveries!

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

45 minutes ago, Noah DC said:

Sweetwater message I got last week on the Numa X 73: “We got another delay on the keyboard. Looking at Mid June now”

Ugh.  The pandemic has taught us patience but I'm eager for this board to land state side.

Just heard from my Sweetwater rep this morning. My Numa X88 is in and ready to ship. YAY!

• Like 4

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I’ll be waiting for 2-3 weeks before I get mine but in the meanwhile I went through the (rather chaotic) manual multiple times and watched the few videos Studiologic posted and I have to applaud them for creating a very intuitive UI. Hopefully it feels like that in real life too.

On an unrelated note, I’m wondering if the synth sounds support mono mode with portamento. I guess not but since the manual omits some information, I hope that’s possible. Hopefully they can add it in a future firmware update along with rudimentary filter ADSR control although if aftertouch is good enough, it can be linked to filter and work around that. 

I'm also anxious to see this board. Since we are hypothesizing/hoping for features, here are are couple of things I thought of.

Since the aftertouch is sensed on the hammers, there is a possibility of polyphonic aftertouch at some point. Depends on the keyboard scanning scheme and processor speed. It certainly has enough polyphony.

If you don't like the EPs, since they are modeled, they could be relatively easily upgraded.

Same for the acoustic pianos. Even though samples are used, much of the "total piano sound" is provided by modeling. Again, if the samples are good, upgrades could be done without too much trouble.

All of these items may only be hope, but they are possible. It will be very interesting to see the actual product and what they do with it.

20 hours ago, kenheeter said:

Dave, I thought you were getting  a 73!

I decided on the 88 as it will be used primarily in my studio. My Mojo is fine for the limited piano parts I play live.