Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

On 1/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, GovernorSilver said:

Internet is abuzz with the supposed new name of the Washington soon to be former "Football Team"

They could work uniforms like Buzz Lightyear's into this Washington Commanders name.

I like Washington Apples, Washington Coffee Beans and Washington Waterfalls.

I like the Washington Football Team. It sounds British. If they have to change the name then I would like the Sentinels just like the team in the movie ‘The Replacements’

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Chiefs-Bengals goes to overtime. Hope this game isn't decided by a coin toss. KC gets the ball. If they score a TD, they win the division championship and go to the Super Bowl. On a coin toss. Not by being the better team. It's morally wrong. Makes sports competition and the championship meaningless.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The Chiefs blew an 18 point lead. It doesn't make sense that such a high-powered offense scores 3 TDs at will in the 1st half and fails twice in the red zone.

The Bengals weren't spectacular on either side of the ball. But, congratulations to them. It's been several decades since their last  Super Bowl appearance.

If the 49ers can get past the Rams, we get a repeat of Super Bowl XXXIII. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Looks like the Bengals D figured out something about the Chiefs pass protection scheme during halftime, because in the 2nd half Mahommes got sacked a lot.   Sacking him often is how you stop that offense.

I thought the swat-and-pick to set up the Bengals TD and tying 2-pt conversion was a spectacular defensive play by the Bengals.

Overtime was once again decided by luck, but not the luck of the coin toss.  Chiefs actually had the ball first.  No, this time the luck was in how the ball bounced off of Tyreek Hill and ended up in the Bengal DB's hands, thus opening the door for Burrow to drive them down for the winning FG and the Superbowl berth.

Was thinking of a Bengals-Niners Superbowl rematch as well, although I think more of the 1981 matchup, which followed the Freezer Bowl (Chargers vs. Bengals AFC Championship) which is still the coldest NFL game on record with -9 F at kickoff and -59 F wind chill.

YES!!!  :thu: :cool: :rawk:

The Rams are NFC Champions again! Now, it's on to the Super Bowl.

The 49ers made LA fight for every inch of field position. They had a great postseason. As both a Packers and Rams fan, no team scares me more. My condolences on today's loss.

Here's hoping the Rams can finally win their first Super Bowl as a Los Angeles team. :cool:

image.png.59084b8d6ff710c77cadace8f189acc1.png

GO RAMS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

20 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

YES!!!  :thu: :cool: :rawk:

The Rams are NFC Champions again! Now, it's on to the Super Bowl.

The 49ers made LA fight for every inch of field position. They had a great postseason. As both a Packers and Rams fan, no team scares me more. My condolences on today's loss.

Here's hoping the Rams can finally win their first Super Bowl as a Los Angeles team. :cool:

image.png.59084b8d6ff710c77cadace8f189acc1.png

GO RAMS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Congrats, Geoff!

Pretty obvious now why former Charger and Ram Eric Weddle was lured out of retirement to rejoin the Rams.  His best shot to get a ring.

• Like 1

Thanks, GovernorSilver!

Yes, Weddle is an important part of this squad. He can still make plays, and he's a strong mentor.

ProfD, I agree that both offense and defense are strong on the Rams. The offense may have won the game, but the defense sealed the deal.

Best,

Geoff

After growing up in L.A. and technically still live in L.A. County I don't know who to root for in the Super Bowl. From experience I know the the Rams will leave L.A.  yet again like they do other cities so why be loyal.   I do like the colour orange so Go Bengals???   

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

After growing up in L.A. and technically still live in L.A. County I don't know who to root for in the Super Bowl. From experience I know the the Rams will leave L.A.  yet again like they do other cities so why be loyal.   I do like the colour orange so Go Bengals???   

There’s only one NFL team that’s guaranteed to never move: the Green Bay Packers. That, along with the fact that they were my home team during part of my childhood, is why I chose to root for the Packers when the Rams moved away in the ‘90s. 

That said, the Rams are under new ownership, and not the one who chose to move them away. The current owner not only chose to move them back to LA, he invested a small fortune in building a stadium here for them to play in. Considering that level of commitment, it’s hard to imagine the Rams leaving LA again during our lifetimes. They’ve earned their way back into my favor with those actions. Perhaps they’re worthy of your consideration as well?

Best,

Geoff

A bit of fun during the Bengals-Chiefs game when a John Deere Gator pulled a sound system groundstack directly behind the CBS booth for the halftime show. You could hear Walker Hayes singing "Fancy Like Applebee's" louder than the analysists! :laugh: 

15 hours ago, ProfD said:

The Chiefs blew an 18 point lead. It doesn't make sense that such a high-powered offense scores 3 TDs at will in the 1st half and fails twice in the red zone.

The Bengals weren't spectacular on either side of the ball. But, congratulations to them. It's been several decades since their last  Super Bowl appearance.

If the 49ers can get past the Rams, we get a repeat of Super Bowl XXXIII. 😎

It seems to me that sometimes, the Chiefs get a little too "cute" with their play-calling for their own good. They could have kicked the field goal at the end of the first half and been fine. And like the announcers said at the time, that could come back to haunt them. And it did. I believe Reid did want the pass to be in the end zone, so not sure what happened there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

There’s only one NFL team that’s guaranteed to never move: the Green Bay Packers. That, along with the fact that they were my home team during part of my childhood, is why I chose to root for the Packers when the Rams moved away in the ‘90s. 

That said, the Rams are under new ownership, and not the one who chose to move them away. The current owner not only chose to move them back to LA, he invested a small fortune in building a stadium here for them to play in. Considering that level of commitment, it’s hard to imagine the Rams leaving LA again during our lifetimes. They’ve earned their way back into my favor with those actions. Perhaps they’re worthy of your consideration as well?

Best,

Geoff

Agreed, the Rams aren't going anywhere. They're also in one of the largest markets, with the value of the team skyrocketing since their move. They have been embraced by Los Angeles, and they have a great thing going. 

The Bears are not going anywhere either. Even without their new Arlington Heights stadium, they weren't going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Peyton Manning's thoughts on the playoffs, including the epic Allen vs. Mahommes duel . . . 

I know how Manning felt.  World Cup soccer qualifying may not be quite as compelling as Season Two of Emily in Paris was for him, but Canada’s national men’s team beating the United States 2-0 and taking command of the CONCACAF group was pretty good.

Canada-USA was up against the AFC championship yesterday afternoon.  I tried watching some Chiefs-Bengals.  KC seemed to have things well in hand in their typical style (up 21-3 in the first half) so I stuck with soccer until the match was decided with a dramatic extra-time game-clinching goal.  When I flicked back to the NFL game, it was 21-21 in the 4th quarter and Burrow looked like the second coming of St. Thomas of Brady.  Mahomes played like he was channeling Emily in Paris shopping for a new handbag.  What the hell happened to KC while I was watching that other kind of football?

In the immortal words of Manning at the end of his Saturday Night bit, go Bills.

• Like 1

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

Congratulations to our Canadian fans on yesterday’s victory in the other kind of football. 

I do see interest growing in the US in what we call soccer, but I’ve never personally warmed to the sport. I’ve come to realize that I have trouble getting interested in any sport that includes a goalie. It’s not that I have anything against goalies. In fact, I can see how they add an element of suspense to the game; and I enjoyed playing that position as a kid. It’s just that, as a spectator, games that include goalies have so little scoring that I lose interest. 

It’s true that American football sometimes has little scoring as well, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule; and as that situation is usually caused by exceptional defensive playing, it can still be exciting to watch. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

I was watching the USA vs. Germany World Cup game some years ago with colleagues when I suggested they get rid of the goalie position and turn into a high scoring sport like basketball, to generate more interest/excitement with American viewers.   

I got stares like I was an alien from another planet.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I was watching the USA vs. Germany World Cup game some years ago with colleagues when I suggested they get rid of the goalie position and turn into a high scoring sport like basketball, to generate more interest/excitement with American viewers.   

I imagine that the people who would agree with you wouldn't have been watching the USA vs. Germany World Cup game. ;)

I like basketball; but for my taste, it has too much scoring. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have too much scoring than too little; but American football has enough scoring to keep things exciting without diluting the power of a single score. Basketball scoring has that power when the game is close and time is running out, but otherwise, I think it's more of an ebb and flow effect, barring the occasional spectacular shot or dramatic dunk.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

I’ve come to realize that I have trouble getting interested in any sport that includes a goalie.

10 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Years ago I told a talented old-school loop junkie from Germany that world soccer overlords should get rid of their complicated offside rule and put in hockey-style blue lines and hockey offside rules instead.  It would open up a fundamentally boring game and create more scoring, I suggested.

It was like I’d taken a leak in the Sistine Chapel.  I obviously knew nothing about the game, he sneered, and shut down the conversation.

He was right.  The game does take some time to learn and appreciate, especially at the professional level.  I’ve become a big fan.

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

4 minutes ago, Polychrest said:

Years ago I told a talented old-school loop junkie from Germany that world soccer overlords should get rid of their complicated offside rule and put in hockey-style blue lines and hockey offside rules instead.  It would open up a fundamentally boring game and create more scoring, I suggested.

It was like I’d taken a leak in the Sistine Chapel.  I obviously knew nothing about the game, he sneered, and shut down the conversation.

He was right.  The game does take some time to learn and appreciate, especially at the professional level.  I’ve become a big fan.

That makes sense, Polychrest. I'm sure if I were to thoroughly learn about the game, I'd appreciate it more.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Well, the half line does act that way to a certain degree, you can't be offside in your defensive half.

But yes, while the game does take some time to appreciate and can have a slower pace (although I would say north american football and baseball aren't immune either), there is a reason it's called The Beautiful Game and is far and away the most popular sport on the planet. Well, reasons, because we all know the cost barrier is quite low compared to other sports, which helps.

• Like 1