Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best looking modern stage piano

What, in your view, is the most aesthetically pleasing modern stage piano? I"m talking about any model from the year 2000 onwards probably. That is, you can"t pick a classic Rhodes model. It needs to be something that has grand piano sounds.

I like the look of the Valente electric piano (though probably no grand piano sounds) the Korg SV in black (though too many buttons to look sleek in my opinion) and the Kawai VPC1 (though very heavy for the stage)

I also like the Technics P30, which has no buttons on the front panel.

I think there is a niche in the market for something really classic looking, maybe even a Wood effect finish. When you think of the stunning guitars you can get and even some stunning Wood accordions, we are missing out. Albeit the weight does need to somehow be kept as low as possible. Not easy!

Anyway, let me know what you think is the best looking stage piano, or any other thoughts on the topic. I mean, ultimately the standard of the player and the stuff on the inside is what matters most but, you know, I"m bored...

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm partial to my SV-188BK but as a runner-up...Kawai VPC-1 and Nord Grand.

Weight and girth have always been a non-issue to me. That's because I've always felt that KBs should be a foreground instrument. :D

Years ago, I attended a live performance and the KB player had a Nord Electro front and center. It looked totally ridiculous on that stage. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Two words:

Piano. Shell.

Brotha Tim beat me to this as it covers both KB stand and stage footprint. :thu:

Bands like Coldplay and Twenty-One Pilots have it figured out. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have a different take on this than most people. I think to a quote I once heard about actresses and dresses for awards shows. You don't want a dress that wears the actress. You want a dress that highlights. I don't want a gaudy red piano on stage. I want sleek and black. I want to be the one that stands out. For that reason I choose Roland or Yamaha.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I always like the look of Yamaha original CPs.

guk3emsa44ehanveoozc.jpg

Edit:

I guess the Rhodes Suitcase, for me, is another favorite. I never owned one, although I did convert my Rhodes with Satellite speakers. In hindsight, the Suitcase is better. Great sound on stage (I did get to play them.)

dji6bbbculhg4yfrl8if.jpg

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Is it that hard to follow the rules of the thread? Modern stage pianos: which one looks best.

Not piano shells. Not vintage keyboards.

:laugh:

Sorry, I'm late to thread and only read title, which could of been more precise. It I had to choose modern (weight not a factor I'd probably go with...

12853312_800.jpg

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Anyway, let me know what you think is the best looking stage piano, or any other thoughts on the topic.

Is it that hard to follow the rules of the thread? Modern stage pianos: which one looks best.

Not piano shells. Not vintage keyboards.

The rules as stated by the OP: there are no rules.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I think stands are part of the problem. Most stage pianos look plenty fine or good enough. But the look is ruined by what it"s sitting on. Hence the notion of a shell.

The Yamaha CP1 is a black tolex and chrome beauty, but on X stand, Z stand, console stand it loses its vibe. They should have done optional screw in chrome legs for it.

1719.thumb.jpg.19569aaff8647e803f807b46156a5e30.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

For whatever it's worth - I wasn't trying to be cute or clever when I mentioned piano shell. I was dead serious (as OP had asked for "any other thoughts on the topic").

I don't own a shell, but I've played a few digitals in shells on gigs.

Audiences listen more than 75% with their eyes. When they see what to them looks like "a piano" - they reach the conclusion - "Man, that piano sounds great" - even if it's the cheapest sounding POS digital that the club could find. From their perspective - I'm a more authentic piano player when it's in a shell. It really becomes part of the overall experience. And the funny bonus is it feels a little more like playing a baby grand to me too - when I stick a scrap of set list or whatever on top of the "grand piano", and it's at the same height I expect as a piano player.

Anyway, not looking to beat a dead horse. But I've considered buying a small portable shell for my "piano only" gigs, but haven't found quite the right unit and then of course all our gigs got postponed or cancelled. But still sort of thinking about it. Back to the regularly programmed discussion.

From an audience view, No digital piano looks good.

They have never, looked good.

They are a box on scaffolding with untidy wires coming out of the back.

Guitarist walks on stage with their Strat, Les Paul etc and immediately looks cool.

Saxophonist walks on stage and looks cooler still

It is what it is.

Col

....Guitarist walks on stage with their Strat, Les Paul etc and immediately looks cool.

Saxophonist walks on stage and looks cooler still....

....Keytar? --- OK, maybe not :)

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

For whatever it's worth - I wasn't trying to be cute or clever when I mentioned piano shell. I was dead serious (as OP had asked for "any other thoughts on the topic").

I don't own a shell, but I've played a few digitals in shells on gigs.

Audiences listen more than 75% with their eyes. When they see what to them looks like "a piano" - they reach the conclusion - "Man, that piano sounds great" - even if it's the cheapest sounding POS digital that the club could find. From their perspective - I'm a more authentic piano player when it's in a shell. It really becomes part of the overall experience. And the funny bonus is it feels a little more like playing a baby grand to me too - when I stick a scrap of set list or whatever on top of the "grand piano", and it's at the same height I expect as a piano player.

Anyway, not looking to beat a dead horse. But I've considered buying a small portable shell for my "piano only" gigs, but haven't found quite the right unit and then of course all our gigs got postponed or cancelled. But still sort of thinking about it. Back to the regularly programmed discussion.

Tim you are spot on people listen with there eyes mostly instead of ears good grief in my younger days I was in a band that was really talented but our show and stage presence was off the charts. Very successful band back in the 80's