Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

If this whole thing is about that goofy avatar, what a waste of time. Seems kind of Omerosa-ish to me. Maybe I missed something somewhere. It's like someone just looking to find something to piss them off.And Uncle George could do it?? Please!!?? Sticks n Stones.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rog:

That's your interpretation of this place and it says more about your mentality than about the people on this forum.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
That's kinda funny.

Originally posted by zzzzzzzzz:

That's your interpretation of this place and it says more about your mentality than about the people on this forum.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
That's kinda funny.
Funny, I'm not laughing :confused:

In reference to "gang of thugs conspiring", that seems to have been taken a little too literally. Did anyone think I meant there was an actual grand plan?

Since there are no dictatorships or use of force on an Internet forum, the people who gain the "strongest foothold" gain that foothold on their own merits - usually because it's perceived by many that they share a lot of valuable information, ideas, music or whatever.
Oh brother :rolleyes: .

Or, maybe by sheer volume. And maybe over time, as people hang out together, a particular point of view, or tone, becomes strengthened, and those that don't fit in or agree with that point of view, leave (and I'm not talking about Henry), thus strengthening that point of view even more, and before you know it, there is a "we".

And then, when newcomers show up, if they like this tone of the community, they stay, if they don't, they probably leave. (People can have disagreements, but there is still a tone to the overall thing).

Isn't this how a real community works? Why would this place be any different?

I've seen the backstabbing and the ridicule and the ganging up, and I've experienced it. I'm not saying it's planned, it just happens on it's own. In football, it's called piling on.

None of what I'm saying has anything to do with people showing support for Henry. To manipulate what I or anyone has said here into "showing support for Henry is a poisonous thing" is beyond the pale.

Originally posted by zzzzzzzzz:

That's kinda funny.
Funny, I'm not laughing :confused:
Well I said it was kind of funny. But you're right, it's not that funny at all.

If you're still reading this Henry, shame on you! :eek::wave:

I tried to read this all... saved by my eyes glazing over. Good and evil laying side by side, while electric love penetrates the sky

while we fly right over the love-filled sea

look, up ahead! I see the love land- do you understand?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

And he can't accept that I can be indifferent on the subject.

You don't seem indifferent at all though, as you go on and on and on. And since you were well aware of the implications of the picture, it would seem that this is where your case falls apart.

Originally posted by Linwood:

If this whole thing is about that goofy avatar, what a waste of time. Seems kind of Omerosa-ish to me. Maybe I missed something somewhere. It's like someone just looking to find something to piss them off.And Uncle George could do it?? Please!!?? Sticks n Stones.

I agree. I believe that you have to be looking for that kind of trouble to see it in "Uncle George".

You know, look at the scope that other people, not me, want to view this. This simple image of a TV character has caused people to compare it to burning crosses, white hoods, and all sorts of violent racial symbols. If that is what they think this stands for, you can sure bet I am going to defend my position. People have totally taken it out of context. And the people who wonder why I just don't "give in" and take it off evidently haven't read my opinions on that. I feel very stongly that countless unsubstantiated claims of racism are encroaching on people's rights in this country and I do not hesitate to say so. I do not take an evangelistic approach to this, but when presented with an obvious case pointed directly at me, I am sure going to defend myself.

So many people insist that "there must be something more to it". It "just can't be as simple as you are describing it". Let see how much sense this makes:

They have read into it, I guess, that I am this racist person, yet the only tool that I use is to post a picture of "Uncle George" (ooooooooh, frightening!) a character with which many people are not even familiar. None, absolutely none of my posts contains anything near inflamatory or derogatory comments. So they think I am this person whose sole purpose is to post a picture of "Uncle George" (without anything inflamatory to back it up) to "get a rise" out of people who it will offend. Folks, I hate to disappoint you, but it ain't that complicated. Anyone can go back and read my original response to Henry on the Cosby thread, or reposted earlier on this thread, and it pretty much sums it up.

Some people are now referring to me as a "troll". I have seen what people have called trolls and it seems that those people have gone around picking fights and usually use harsh language and insults. You will not find this in common with any of my posts. I do not use harsh language. I do not start fights and I do not hurl nasty insults. If you really go back and read the subject matter surrounding this avatar, I have addressed it at length but it is all in a defensive position. No where will you find that I even refered to "Uncle George" until someone else brought it up. I have not been on the offense, which I think is common with trolls. I have posted in other areas and had very good conversations. I have spent a great deal of space responding to this issue, but I am responding to people's comments. I haven't started a thread about it. I do not see myself as a troll, just a person that is not well liked by the majority because of some serious overreaction by a few individuals. I am OK with that, because I am perfectly comfortable with my values. I think it is the last part that burns half of the people up the most. They have gotten really upset that I don't care if they think I am wrong.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

If you're still reading this Henry, shame on you! :eek::wave:

Shame on me.

I dislike the huge avatars, which squeeze the page like a Hummer hulks over a Mini. I remember when I was on dialup and, courtesy some image, pages might have reached archive status in the span of the loading. They're like graffiti - an expression that can impinge or another's space.

For all the explanations of history and honor, I can't say that I've ever seen the stars and bars on a black person's car. Some symbols die hard. I've been working on a song about the O.J. trial for five or six years. I has to do with F. Lee Bailey's moment with the detective Mark Furman, when Bailey asked Furman if, in a certain number of years, he had used the word "nigger" in conversation. When Furman replied "no" the first time, I knew he was lying, both on instinct and on the fact of having heard a Topeka cop say it several years earlier. Bailey knew he was lying, too, and continued to pursue him, each time saying the word louder and with more bite. He was clearly enjoying himself, and to this day I don't know what contributed to his enthusiasm, the thrill of the kill of the witness, or that he was saying the taboo on national TV. Or something worse.

I thought I had driven that word from my horizon, and Bailey was driving it back into our national consciousness.

So, Hound Dog, you may well be a courteous driver and we need as many of them as we can muster. I too, hate tailgaters. I also watched a whole lotta Little Rascals and Three Stooges and realize that neither is a model for our own behavior. But apparantly to some, your avatar is like a Hummer on oversized tires with confederate flags on both bumpers.

(another) Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I do not take an evangelistic approach to this, but when presented with an obvious case pointed directly at me, I am sure going to defend myself.
So if all this hadn't happened the way that it did, and if someone perhaps had said nicely, "I'm not implying that you are using that avatar to mean anything bad, it's probably just an image to you from a childhood show that you like, you could very well have a picture up of Batman or something, but that picture, to me, is offensive. I'm not accusing you of anything, this is simply a request on my part, but it would be great if you used a different picture", then you would have taken it down, right? Because from what you're saying, the picture is not that big of a deal, it's the fact that people are accusing you of something you're not, correct?

Because, when I mentioned in a decent way that I didn't like the use of the N word, you seemed to understand and were willing to oblige, as did ryst.

So maybe now, since your point has been made, you will simply oblige again?

Some people are now referring to me as a "troll".
I have been in the same position, so I understand what you are feeling in that regard.

O Lord...What a lot of fuss over something so insignificant.

And Hound Dog, before you start gloating realize that I mean you, too. Yeah, it's just a picture...hell, I thought at first glance it was Screamin' Jay Hawkins. But dude: it's a fscking avatar!

Consider this: as much as it seems ridiculous to you that henry & others should take issue with it, so it is that you have spent this much energy defending your choice.

(And by the way - the picture is too large. Screws up the word wrapping when it's that big.)

I'm willing to concede that you are not a racist; I agree, to an extent, with some of the basic assertions you have made, if not the extrapolations. In that light, what has all this done for the betterment of relationships between people? Do you really think you've enlightened anybody? Seriously - I'm curious.

I can't pass judgement on henry's stance any more than yours, but I will say that I have a great deal of respect for him; that it has been my experience that he has a well-rounded opinion of people, and is not racist; and that the quality of his contributions to the forums here are easily in the top 5% if not higher, so losing him diminishes us all just a bit.

There are a lot of cliques on these forums. That's what people do. I don't belong to any that I know of, but I don't seek "fame" on forums.

This Henry (whom I don't know) is a big boy. If he wants to take his toys and go home, that's too bad. He's going to come into these situations again and again. He just wants some attention or figures he's wasted enough time sitting at a computer, anyway. People usually just leave situations unannounced unless they're after something.

Hound Dog sure has some mettle. I can't deny that.

Henry, all I know to say is that you will be missed. Just a piece of advice if you come back to read the thread:

Sometimes fighting does not work. Sometimes fighting does not have to work. Your presence alone can have a positive effect on others. Your absence will not.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Actually taking a break from any online anything is a good thing. Come back with a new perspective and don't worry about those who groan and moan over things that don't mean a hill of beans. How do you recognize its time to take a break? I'd say when you begin to think of some kind of self importance and yearning that you have to sign on, when humility gives way to boasting, and any disagreement with your views are seen as an all out assault on your very being.

This ain't life......this is text, yeah it might imitate and document life, but I suspect that it gives life to those without one at times too.

Have a good break Henri......you won't miss anything. I appreciate you, of course.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Man! I don't log in for one weekend and look what happens :D

I hope you decide to just take a break and not leave totally. I kinda felt the same way about that avatar in question. After awhile I just stayed away from the Cosby thread. I knew that some good dialog was being made but, I just couldn't bring myself to look at that avatar. Even after I remembered it came from a Three Stooges episode or Little Rascals.

I do hope you decide to come back. Your posts were always insightful, respectful and gave me a new look at things as a musician.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

When it comes down to it, it is distasteful at best and tho I do believe you have no racist intent, you aren't earning yourself any respect making your stand. All you have done is cost the forums a valued and respected member, thus decreasing the value of these forums to all who post here because you have no respect for other people...

You like this Uncle George character or whatever it is so much, make it your windows wallpaper or something, is it so important to you that you have to show the world when you know that it is going to cause distress to some people??

I'm late to this discussion and you've already shown you couldn't care less about these arguments, but my tuppence worth anyway...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Well, damn.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, Henry. I know that we've chatted, agreed on some things, and disagreed on others, but I've always valued your opinion. I sincerely hope that a break from the forums will do the trick, and we can have ya back. If not, well then we are all poorer for our loss, and I wish you all the luck in the world in all your endeavors.

Take care, Henry.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

<>

Of course, a cat would say something like that. Cats and dogs...worse than the political forum!

By the way, there IS an SSS Secret Society (SSSSS). We control the world, in fact, the Trilateral Commission is one of our offshoots. Most members of Congress are part of the SSSSS, as is Bill Gates.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

[QB] Nice piece of disinformational propaganda :D

Well that's easy for you to say :D

Originally posted by Duddits:

After all, I'm a talking cat for crying out loud, and I would bet there's no more than a handful of talking cats in this forum.

I've never heard you talk, IF you really can. But I did think it was pretty amazing that a cat could express hinself so well in print.

Or is it that you have a state of the art speech recognition system?

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Originally posted by Anderton:

By the way, there IS an SSS Secret Society (SSSSS). We control the world, in fact, the Trilateral Commission is one of our offshoots. Most members of Congress are part of the SSSSS, as is Bill Gates.

Have you gone mad, man? Remember that the second to last "S" is for secret. As in, we don't talk about it. Now I'm going to have to deny all plausibility of any knowledge or association with the SSSSS, and I can't tell you what'll happen if I get yanked before a Senate subcommittee on this matter.

Again, I disavow all knowledge of the SSSSS. I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

- Jeff

I don't know anything about any secret societies, but I can assure you that clues to the location and nature of the Holy Grail are to be found in my avatar...

And with this post, I give you the last posting of this picture of my very own huge and Hung...uh...avatar:

http://ramsites.net/~s2sdmcdo/hung.jpg

I was a regular on Keyboard Corner, but one day decided to take a look over here. Read about three threads and took off like a rocket. Didn't come back to 'Open Mic' for about a year. So I do feel you. But I'm back! Skins a little thicker. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I, too, will miss Henry's input. Although I'm not a jazz player and haven't communicated directly with Henry, I've found his posts to be very eloquently written, and his knowledge is obvious. I've listened to the music he has posted and enjoy his playing immensely.

As to Hound Dog, we in America are guaranteed freedom of speech, but should it be used at the expense of others' feelings? This is not a time for stubbornness based on some perceived principles; it is a time to say "okay, Henry's value as a member of this forum is worth more than my using an offensive avatar". No one will think less of Hound Dog for doing the right thing and changing his avatar.

Henry, I hope you come back, and continue to educate those of us less informed.

Scott...

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Archived