Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

A little reminder / warning: Remote linking to someone else's site without their permission is generally a no-no around here. If the person who's bandwith you are jacking takes notice and decides they want to retaliate, they can swap the image to something else - something inappropriate and uncool that you wouldn't want as your avatar - right Jeebus? ;)

For further info, please read this thread:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000012

Thanks, Philip.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problem Hound Dog - you can continue to use any avatar you want (as long as it isn't vulgar or violates someone's copyright)), but it should be hosted on your own web space or someone else's web space who has given you permission to use it via remote linking.

Hey Hound Dog, maybe you could switch to this, to prove you are an equal opportunity offender:

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/canada/images/bevhill.jpg

or maybe this:

http://members.optushome.com.au/thesquiz/cletus3.gif

Originally posted by zzzzzzzzz:

Hey Hound Dog, maybe you could switch to this, to prove you are an equal opportunity offender:

or maybe this:

That's a great idea. Let's see.....oh, I guess I would be the one that would get all offended and leave.

By the way I do love the Beverly Hillbillies. Those first few episodes were hilarious.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

or maybe this:

Nice try... not gonna work this time, judging by Hound Dog's response. :P

I, for one, have dropped my stance against him. He's welcome to post anything he wants. I can trust him now. :)

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

or maybe this:

Nice try... not gonna work this time, judging by Hound Dog's response. :P

I, for one, have dropped my stance against him. He's welcome to post anything he wants. I can trust him now. :)

Thanks Taz.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Denmark, for example, to be aware of all of the cultural taboos that a person such as Henry, for example, defines as "racist". not.

This argument that eveyone is expected to "automatically know" the nuances and scope of all things racist will become harder to support as time goes by and as the "melting pot" ingredients change from their current proportions relevant to each other. Will "Uncle George" be the evil racist symbol in 100 or 200 years that folks here have made it out to be in this forum now? Probably only to those that have chosen to hold on to it as a racist symbol. Most of us will hopefully have moved on. In fact, and getting back to the point, it is possible that some of us have already "moved on" and no longer choose to dwell on it to the extent that others do. This is the basis of my saying that it is each person's definition.

first of all, we are not talking about someone from Denmark, we are talking about you and what you know. imho detractions do not make good arguments.

secondly your paragraph up above is a perfect example of what is wrong with this debate, besides

the dishonesty and calculated manuvering attempts.

you think it's people that bring up racism that keep racism alive, its not. it is people that do racist things that keep racism alive and people who do not live in denial will always bring those situations up.

in 200 years the image will be the same, just like the image of the klans cross burnings, just like the nazi symbols, just like any symbol used for the purpose of oppression, instilling fear, hatred, or loathing.

it's not a matter of timing ,its a matter of definition. this is elemetary.

in 200 years the only people who will not understand the significance of a crossburning will

be either those that did very poorly in history class, or those that are very indifferent. it has nothing to do with races mixing and the world being a melting pot, it has everything to do with facts, hatred, and attrocities that humanity should like to avoid in the future.

your comment that the basis for your stance is that each persons definition is their own doesn't make any sense either, you might as well say that that lady who couldn't recieve her ward for playing that degrading roll due to segragation was

not a victom of racism because 'you' if you felt like it might not define it as so. the fact is whether you exist or not these symbols exist and so do their definitions. the length at which your willing to go to try to deny the meaning of the caracature is amusing.

you know whats even more funny is that at the time

this caracature came out you would of been in very

deep sh_t if you found yourself in a cafe of nothing but white folk having this same debate.

and taz I don't know why you 'trust' him now, was

this an issue of trust for you?

Originally posted by Nawledge:

Denmark, for example, to be aware of all of the cultural taboos that a person such as Henry, for example, defines as "racist". not.

This argument that eveyone is expected to "automatically know" the nuances and scope of all things racist will become harder to support as time goes by and as the "melting pot" ingredients change from their current proportions relevant to each other. Will "Uncle George" be the evil racist symbol in 100 or 200 years that folks here have made it out to be in this forum now? Probably only to those that have chosen to hold on to it as a racist symbol. Most of us will hopefully have moved on. In fact, and getting back to the point, it is possible that some of us have already "moved on" and no longer choose to dwell on it to the extent that others do. This is the basis of my saying that it is each person's definition.

first of all, we are not talking about someone from Denmark, we are talking about you and what you know. imho detractions do not make good arguments.

secondly your paragraph up above is a perfect example of what is wrong with this debate, besides

the dishonesty and calculated manuvering attempts.

you think it's people that bring up racism that keep racism alive, its not. it is people that do racist things that keep racism alive and people who do not live in denial will always bring those situations up.

in 200 years the image will be the same, just like the image of the klans cross burnings, just like the nazi symbols, just like any symbol used for the purpose of oppression, instilling fear, hatred, or loathing.

it's not a matter of timing ,its a matter of definition. this is elemetary.

in 200 years the only people who will not understand the significance of a crossburning will

be either those that did very poorly in history class, or those that are very indifferent. it has nothing to do with races mixing and the world being a melting pot, it has everything to do with facts, hatred, and attrocities that humanity should like to avoid in the future.

your comment that the basis for your stance is that each persons definition is their own doesn't make any sense either, you might as well say that that lady who couldn't recieve her ward for playing that degrading roll due to segragation was

not a victom of racism because 'you' if you felt like it might not define it as so. the fact is whether you exist or not these symbols exist and so do their definitions. the length at which your willing to go to try to deny the meaning of the caracature is amusing.

you know whats even more funny is that at the time

this caracature came out you would of been in very

deep sh_t if you found yourself in a cafe of nothing but white folk having this same debate.

and taz I don't know why you 'trust' him now, was

this an issue of trust for you?

Do the words Moved On NOT mean anything anymore? Must we waste anymore bandwidth on this wasted retread? Please don't continue the mudslinging. I'm actually enjoying some of Dog's responses over at the guitar forums.

If you want to continue this, there's an appropriate forum for this...

OVER HERE.

I won't waste my breath answering your last question to me. Doesn't seem worthy of my time.

I see no reason why this thread can't be continued (or Nawledge should stop voicing his feelings). Hound Dog's avatar remains; several people continue to be offended by it and have asked him in every possible way to remove it.

I doubt that they people who are offended by it have lessened their feelings just because a couple more days have passed.

- Jeff

Nawledge:

I saw a black man on a motorcycle today. He was wearing a "German Helmet", a motorcycle helmet styled after the model worn by the Nazi during WWII.

Do you automatically assume that he is racist against blacks because he wears what some people consider a blatant reference to a racist organization that existed 50 years ago?

I think he probably just thought it looked cool.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Nawledge:

I think people is waaaaaay too sensitive nowadys, they either don't have a life or they had a very unhappy childhood or they are like rich kids accostumed to demand you do waht they say or else.... you can not complain about every little thing you don't like you'll never be happy.

I'm a christian [who caares right?? :D:D ], but I don't leave this forum or other forums just because other people don't believe what I believe, or becasue IN MY OPINION, they are wrong, or use avatars that I don't like, come on people.... :love:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

I have attempted to stop this silly thread by calling everyone Nazis. That is supposed to mark the end of a thread. Please do not let me down. I do not want to see any further reponses to this thread. Do not make me stop the car and come back there!

On a side note, Hound Dogger, most ISPs allow some space for a personal web site. You can learn a little about ftp and keep your avitars on there. Then you can link to that. It's really quite easy. In fact it's boring to do but it defeats the 'linking to another site without permission' problem.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by cwfno:

I have attempted to stop this silly thread by calling everyone Nazis. That is supposed to mark the end of a thread.

I think in netiquette lore, it's supposed to be the mention of "Hitler." This is supposed to clearly indicate that the thread has run its course! :D

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by FoxTick:

Has anyone heard from Henry since his departure? :confused:

We exchanged e-mails last week. He wrote, "Say hi to my friends. I'm off to Florida for a time" so don't worry if you can't reach him.

Best,

Geoff

Hey - that's cool...sounds like he's doin some general housecleaning - that's good for the soul !

As for the rest of this mess, hehe...shake it off everyone Time will have it's usual healing and soothing affect.

BTW thank you Creator for Time - I just couldn't handle things if they happened all at once !

I can't speak for him HoundDog, but I wouldn't wear it, but that's just me. And if I was at a jewish motorcycle rally and he rode up, I'd probably knock it off his head, but again that's just me.

I want you to know though that I'm not asking you to remove it, never have, and never would. I believe you should do what you do, like I do what I do, what bothers me is that you are not telling the truth about what you do. every time you post it's like another great example. you admit that the black motorcycle rider is exhibiting some racist paraphanelia, but you claim your avatar is not. but it's easy to see that you do really know.

you know all that some of the people here have to say is ...'so what' but those aren't the ones that

respond to what henry is about as a person, those are the ones who repond to what you are about as a

person... that's cool whatever, long as it's out in the open.

You know, Hound Dog, for someone who's not a race-baiting asshole, you sure devote a lot of time, words, and bandwidth to NOT convincing the rest of us. Your false naivete' is utterly transparent; it allows you to ridicule others and snicker about it while saying, "But I don't understand..."

It's okay if you're a bigot. Really. It's even your right as an American to have fun at the expense of other people. Just be upfront about it and drop the clueless nice-guy act, because you are not fooling anyone.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Nawledge:

I saw a black man on a motorcycle today. He was wearing a "German Helmet", a motorcycle helmet styled after the model worn by the Nazi during WWII.

Do you automatically assume that he is racist against blacks because he wears what some people consider a blatant reference to a racist organization that existed 50 years ago?

Not a great example. Maybe a better one would be a jew wearing a t-shirt that says, "Hitler Rules!"

In college I went to a Halloween party dressed as a Nazi punk. 'Turns out the hosts and many guests were Jewish. I was confronted by several folks about my costume. I replied, "traditionally, people used to usually dress up as something scary or evil for Halloween- that all I was going for". The hostess, was hurt anyways, and one kid threatened to kick my ass. I might as well worn a t-shirt that said, "My Grandpa gassed your Grandma." Maybe they overreacted (not everyone was upset), but the point is, since I had personal contact with these folks, I learned something about how my actions can negatively and emotionally impact others.

I think you should put that avatar on a t-shirt and wear it to a bar or club sometime. Let us know how that works for you.

In the midst of all this, I just wanted to say that I liked Henry's posts and hope that he returns.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

In the midst of all this, I just wanted to say that I liked Henry's posts and hope that he returns.

:thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

<

We exchanged emails and I don't want to paraphrase, but it seems to me he simply got burned out. And it wouldn't surprise me if he returns at some point, but he has other priorities right now.

As to me, I'm leaving this forum...

...to go edit some stuff. But I'll be back.

As to me, I'm leaving this forum...

will you people STOP SAYING THAT :evil::D

Seriously though,

I hated to see Henry leave the forums, but I think that this will be good for him. Everybody needs a break every now and then. I have taken breaks from this place a few times...for as much as a year. But somehow always managed to make it back.

Who knows how long, if ever it will be before Henry comes back. I do hope he does come back.

0096 2251 2110 8105

Archived