Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spacestation XL vs Motion Sound KP 500/408

MPN21

I am trying to decide between the Spacestation XL and the KP500/408s by Motion Sound. I do have the smaller Spacestation, but at times it lacks in bass. I am all ears to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting question, will be interesting to see if anyone has tried them both/all. I love my KP500, but it's a lot more amplification than I need and more weight than I want to carry. The XL is even heavier. There's probably a 408 in my future, looks to be just right for me. I've had a few Motion Sound amps over the years and they have held up well.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I love my KP500, but it's a lot more amplification than I need and more weight than I want to carry. The XL is even heavier.

Agreed, however the KP 500SN eliminates the need for a mixer (unless one is using more than 4 keyboards) and eliminates the need for a DI. These are huge plusses.

:nopity:

Personal monitor or for throwing sound out the the house/venue?

I once had a KC keyboard amp. I decided to upgrade and tried the SSv3, even tried it with a sub. Sent it back quickly, didnt fit me or what I like to hear.

Im now a PPA guy, thats just me.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm thinking that the Line 6 L2t may be my next keyboard amp.

What do you know about it? I saw one online last week that caught my attention but didn't investigate, are they a reputable brand?

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

Interesting.

KP-610D(or 610s) Frequency Response - 60-18kHz, 42 LBS 650 watts RMS

KP-408S Frequency Response - 60-18kHz 46 LBS 400 watts RMS

A sub added to my SSV3 certainly would work. I guess deep down I am looking for a combo amp.

I still quite like mine. They're in regular use. :2thu:

What do you know about it? I saw one online last week that caught my attention but didn't investigate, are they a reputable brand?

I've reviewed them, if that's helpful.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Have you tried it in the heat of battle?

If so, did you remeberr to uncouple it from the floor?

IMHO, it didnt cut it for my situation-Electronica improv with heavy Rhodes and Synths....

It just didnt have the presenceI needed.

I loved my MS KP500s, but it was too big for the venues I am now playing.

I got a 408s on order which is shipping next Friday, Ill let you guys know after i test it.

My bud used one with a Seven and he said it was DA BOMB for Eps.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Al, I picked it because SW didnt have the 610 in inventory.

I will ask Mitch if he knows the non obvious differences between the two

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

After reading Dave Bryces review a few years ago, I PMd him and asked about the L2T. He recommended it, I bought it, and it sounded great with my original Mojo dual manual. No regrets.

I notice Long and Mcquade(Canada) rents them. I'm going to try one out in March after I get back from a trip next week.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

After reading Dave Bryces review a few years ago, I PMd him and asked about the L2T. He recommended it, I bought it, and it sounded great with my original Mojo dual manual. No regrets.

I notice Long and Mcquade(Canada) rents them. I'm going to try one out in March after I get back from a trip next week.

Where do you live? I just searched L&M online and saw the Sudbury store has two used ones for half price.

Here for the gear.

I don´t understand their power specs for the KP-610D.

Quote from website :

"The KP-610D, with its 650 watts (RMS) of clean power at 250 Watts per channel, is designed to reproduce any modern keyboard sound ..."

and ...

"650 watts RMS Total Power (@ 250 watts RMS per channel)"

For me, 2x 250W RMS is 500W RMS in a total,- no ?

I wonder where the other 150W RMS are going to,- maybe to the tweeters and they only mention what´s going into the woofers ?

The Eminence Deltas are rated @250W RMS each ...

But when looking at the specs for the other stereo combos, their advertisement politics are different.

KP500S = 500W RMS of total power @250W RMS per channel.

:confused:

A.C.

I've come to the conclusion that only 12" speakers really do it for me, 8" is certainly too weak, and 10" is just OK, so while I like the new MS offerings I don't plan to change from the KP-500S.

It's not just about volume, even though I love not having to run the amp near max to compete with a full band, and if I want to I can shake the walls, it's more about the full tone that having plenty of bass adds even at low volumes, it's warm and lush and I think the 2x12" speakers is the primary reason.

I can't add anything about the XL, it looks nice and I considered it before buying the MS, but I think the 500 is a better amp, it does have 2x12" though, big advantage.

I've come to the conclusion that only 12" speakers really do it for me, 8" is certainly too weak, and 10" is just OK,
I will wait for more info on the 610D.

Once I used the Markbass CMD 102P as a keyboard amp. What a sound! At the local GC, we had tested it against Yamaha active speakers and the QSC K12. No comparison. The CMD102P sounded so much cleaner and vibrant. The CMD102P has 2 10' speakers.

I don´t understand their power specs for the KP-610D.

Quote from website :

"The KP-610D, with its 650 watts (RMS) of clean power at 250 Watts per channel, is designed to reproduce any modern keyboard sound ..."

and ...

"650 watts RMS Total Power (@ 250 watts RMS per channel)"

For me, 2x 250W RMS is 500W RMS in a total,- no ?

I wonder where the other 150W RMS are going to,- maybe to the tweeters and they only mention what´s going into the woofers ?

The Eminence Deltas are rated @250W RMS each ...

But when looking at the specs for the other stereo combos, their advertisement politics are different.

KP500S = 500W RMS of total power @250W RMS per channel.

:confused:

A.C.

Their website is still messed up. They need to update the specs. I mentioned it to the guy I've spoke with, but clearly they have not done anything about it.

The 610 is not even out yet. I think he told me they just got some demo versions to test out, or they were forthcoming as of two weeks ago.

Where do you live? I just searched L&M online and saw the Sudbury store has two used ones for half price.

I'm in Winnipeg. Those Sudbury units are probably rentals or trade-ins their selling off. I'm going to rent one for a week or two and see how it sounds. Thanks for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread, and have to comment?

OK, while I've been a fan of competent 8" speakers for my AP-centric style (think QSC K2.8 and RCF TT08-a), there is no substitute for amazing 12" coax units.

I have this pair of Fulcrum Acoustic FA12-acs. 2000 watts each. Serious coax action with magic time-domain correction juju. Listen to them -- keys only, or full band -- and you'll want for no other.

Everyone wants to play through them. Duh.

Not too many people on this board who'd want to pay the freight on serious 12' units. Not surprisingly, they're a bitch to schlep.

But when it's time, I can bring out some serious magic.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I loved my MS KP500s, but it was too big for the venues I am now playing.

I got a 408s on order which is shipping next Friday, Ill let you guys know after i test it.

My bud used one with a Seven and he said it was DA BOMB for Eps.

How do you like your new 408s?

Also, some new pics on the 610s

https://www.msamps.com/copy-of-kp-500s

Its coming today.

I wont have a chance to try it till tomorrow.

I will write a report after that.

Robert Bosch, 1919

I have this pair of Fulcrum Acoustic FA12-acs. 2000 watts each. Serious coax action with magic time-domain correction juju.

That's Dave Gunness' work. The man is a brilliant speaker designer.

He made the Sceptre studio monitors for PreSonus as well. Those would be amazing speakers if they had better amps.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I notice that the 610s is missing the rear sound ports that the KP-500S has, which I really like, helps create the 360 degree sound field that works so well with organ/Leslie sim.

But I can't imagine the 610 is anything but amazing, I bet they sell a ton of them.

i had an L2T ,it was the best sounding monitor i've ever owned , was heavy but not that bad to carry with that big side handle .i wanted the option of stereo , so i traded it in . got 2 K8.2s .IMO , one against one, the QSC sounds alot better than the line 6 even with the line 6's mid range shaping . cranked up , the L2T might have a bit more 'body " to it , but not by much .the little 8.2 just sounds better , more accurate , better mid range . nice to move around too . a few years ago , i had a K10 for a while , was pretty harsh , didn't like it . the 8.2 is a whole different animal

So, I had a chance to play the 408s with the Kronos 73 and theLittle Phatty.

Killer for EPs and synth leads. Excellent on Poly Synths and pads. I couldnt let it rip so Im not entirely sure on the bass response.

Its nice and tight on the low registers on EPs and APs, that much I CAN say....

I dont have rehearsals or gigs till after April 11, so the second part of this review will have to wait till then.

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived