Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best blues pianist ever.

Jazz+

Hes got a time feel like no other.

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monty Alenders time feel is different than Oscars or Gene Harris. They are the other two greatest blues jazz pianists ever. Oscar was the fastest ever and Gene was very authentic I think its perhaps the Jamaican tinge, that makes Montys feel so commanding and exciting. Night Mist blues is the first track from his most popular album Montreux Alexander. After more than 30 years it still my favorite jazz piano trio album ever. It changed my life. When I die I want to go out listening to it.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Speaking of Gene Harris... I have very high regard for him as well as the other two, but I dont spend lots of time listening these days. I am not trying to copy anyone these days, so long listening is not happening ... All of that to say, I listened to the inimitable Gene Harris on a forgotten recording ( I would post if I could recall it ) where he did something that seemed unusually amazing to me... We would play his solo, and it would cause an applause, but he kept playing his solo uninterruptedly , and he would cause numerous moments of crowd reaction... like a crescendo on top of another crescendo and so on and so on. I have never noticed this in a soloist before... at least not that number of times.

Whether this was perhaps something he learned through osmosis in a Gospel church, I am only guessing... But it a remarkable talent to build a solo, 4 or 5 times like that. Most of us are lucky to build one crescendo in a solo excursion.

I heard drummer Joe Morello do this as well.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Weve been through more discussions around chacon a son gout than I care to acknowledge that I spent my time to read.

But paraphrasing Tom Papa:

Have you ever traveled a long distance to see Monty Alexander play solo in an intimate room of jazz lovers, hoping to hear a Master expose new meaning to music?

Only to experience a pianist somehow attacking the piano, trying to make it lay on its back in submission by playing more notes at triple forte in a given tune than anyone else in the world?

Well I have.

Monty Alexander is also a deeply expressive pianist. Here he is playing his original ballad Sweet Lady

That was a great track and yes his timing is impeccable. But if the blues was only about technical proficiency and precision then . . . I don't know . . . I guess it then it wouldn't be the blues. For me, a great blues track makes me feel the virtual stickiness of the bar on my elbows from layers of spilled whiskey. I can feel my own pain and longing being absolved by the pain and longing expressed in the music. I don't get that from Monty, but I dig his wizardry.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I hate "bests", especially blues bests.

Meade Lux Lewis

Pinetop Perkins

Otis Spann

James Booker

Pete Johnson

Big Maceo

and on and on and on ...

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I wouldn't say anyone is the "best" because I'm a firm believer in the well-known aphorism regarding OPINIONS.

Anyway, this is what I call some very nice jazz-blues piano. Not the "best", of course. One thing I know: This example has many fewer notes than the Monty track, with just as much if not more of a real blues feeling.

*** In my opinion ***

I hate "bests", especially blues bests.

Meade Lux Lewis

Pinetop Perkins

Otis Spann

James Booker

Pete Johnson

Big Maceo

and on and on and on ...

big Maceo? You mean the alto player turned leader with James Brown? Yes he is wonderful.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

big Maceo? You mean the alto player turned leader with James Brown? Yes he is wonderful.
No. I mean Big Maceo Merriweather. He's billed as "King of the Chicago Blues Piano." I know Maceo Parker, the sax player. He's my sax idol and still touring today. http://maceoparker.com/
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

"Best" is either overused or juvenile or both at best. :laugh:

Monty Alexander is nice but I'll take Gene Harris over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Norman Simmons - piano, Henry Johnson - guitar

Allen Toussaint - vocal, piano & session legend Paul Griffin - Hammond

I will be darned, with the coincidence. But I have recorded with the Gospel based humble Paul Griffin, back in the day.

And later Henry Johnson ( who played with Freddie Hubbard and Ramsey Lewis ) on a few jazz trio occasions.

I have the highest respect for Paul Griffin and Henry.

While we are at it

Booby Timmons composition of my yuth.

Listen to Cannonball describe this Chant, Shout in his inimitable way. Love that man.

For me it's impossible to render an opinion on who's the the "best" blues pianist. I agree with all of the those mentioned before as among the greatest. Here are three of my favorite piano-centric blues videos I really enjoy and cop licks from:

James Booker:

Otis Spann:

Katie Webster:

I also really like this Albert Collins video as a go-by for how to accompany a blues guitarist/ vocalist on piano. I think the pianist is Gip Noble(?):

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I have a chart of "Night Mist Blues" that I transcribed from the recording in the original post that I am willing to share. I have transcribed most of Alexander's recordings. Monty has an aggressive time feel unlike other players. Her plays on top of the beat, where as all the other blues players play behind the beat. Wynton Kelly is the perhaps the most similar to Monty's time feel in that regard, also a man of Jamaican heritage.

Archived