Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

News from Uhl-instruments X4 V 1&2

ballatman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Integrated Ventilator 2? That would be cool.

Crap,- why ?

I think they should move on AFAP and improve their own leslie sim.

I also think the Vent isn´t the holy grail,- even it´s good for the time being.

In fact the challenge is making it better,- means converting 3D into 2D.

I think that´s hard enough and,- (possibly) impossible.

The real rotating speaker powered by the real power amp will be the benchmark forever,- and I´m pretty sure it will never been achived in digital world,- like many other items we´d wish to be re-created digitally, which didn´t happen.

Analog is analog, w/ all it´s disadvantages.

You want a (good sounding) Leslie ?

Buy one if you can.

If that doesn´t work,- use the compromize !

A.C.

From the reviews I hear, the Vent and Mojo Sim are more well-liked than the Motion Sound, which is a real rotating horn. So it seems digital has already overtaken SOME rotating speakers, just not the Leslie.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

It might help sales, you never know.

I love the HX-3 but recently added the Strymon Mobious to my AUX FX.

Fantastic multi FX Pedal, the SHARC ADSP-21469 Chip is bad ass.

Was shocked that the fast Rotary sounds so realistic?

I always loved the Leslie on a Guitar, but the fast speed only.

The Blackhole Sun or Hendrix sound especially. Mobious knocks it out of the park.

I wish UHL good luck, but maybe get HrastProgrammer or Klaus Piehl to program a SHARC DSP Chip Leslie for them.

I know one thing I love my Strymons.

Each AUX Channel gets a Strymon.

A6-EEDB18-E464-4208-B152-A4-AF395-F1-A9-F.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

It might help sales, you never know.

I love the HX-3 but recently added the Strymon Mobious to my AUX FX.

Fantastic multi FX Pedal, the SHARC ADSP-21469 Chip is bad ass.

Was shocked that the fast Rotary sounds so realistic?

I always loved the Leslie on a Guitar, but the fast speed only.

The Blackhole Sun or Hendrix sound especially. Mobious knocks it out of the park.

I wish UHL good luck, but maybe get HrastProgrammer or Klaus Piehl to program a SHARC DSP Chip Leslie for them.

I know one thing I love my Strymons.

Each AUX Channel gets a Strymon.

A6-EEDB18-E464-4208-B152-A4-AF395-F1-A9-F.jpg

but not the Lex, eh?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This looks really fascinating. Wish I understood German. Looking at the front panel I see a jack for Vent speed and another for rotary slow/fast. There are also a rotary on off and speed buttons in addition to a built in halfmoon type switch. It begs the question,are there both a Vent and the Uhl sim onboard? As a huge Vent fan I applaud Uhl for integrating the Vent. Can't wait to hear this thing.

Build quality is excellent. Notice all the knobs are below the top panel so it is less likely to have an accident in transport or setup at the gig. The flight case is well built.

I had to replace one bank of switches cause an LED was faulty. Easy repair with full support from Wolfgang. I received full instructions on how to repair plus his cell number in case I got stuck. The other option was to have my tech do the repair and Uhl would provide schematics and support.

The bank transaction was not difficult in Canada . Two trips to the bank. One to send a money transfer for the down payment another trip to pay the balance once the unit was built and ready to ship.

Yamaha CP1 UHL X3-2 QSC K10's

Can anyone here speak from experience as to the build quality of Uhl organs and the availability of sales and service in the U.S.? The X4V 1 is haunting my thoughts.

Build quality is excellent. Been gigging my X3-1 every weekend for over 3 years with no problems. Still sounding great.

Communications with Wolfgang through purchase and software upgrades has been first class.

The MAG organs have had a built-in Vent option for some time:

http://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=55

Looks like the difference is on the Uhl you get an LCD menu with access to all the parameters, same as the HX-3 module, and there's the 'smooth' keys. Significant price difference.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. The Mag organs are significantly more expensive than the Uhl. Mag has onboard Mini Vent. New Uhl has onboard Vent II. Don't remember exactly why but I got the impression when both first came out that the Mag organs were harder to get in the U.S. than the Uhl. I also got the impression that the Mag was a bit heavier duty construction.Both are HX-3 based,yes? Thoughts?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. The Mag organs are significantly more expensive than the Uhl.

MAG C2,- because of 2 sets of 9 drawbars and 2 Fatar waterfall keys manuals,- is comparable to the UHL X4 V2.

The MAG C2 basic version, whatever that means, costs about EUR 2.900,- while the UHL X4 V2 now costs about EUR 3.500,- both include VAT.

Shipping cost for the UHL is EUR 20,- over europe

So, to me it seems the UHL is more expensive meanwhile.

Mag has onboard Mini Vent. New Uhl has onboard Vent II.

Yes.

Both are HX-3 based,yes?

Yes.

For the UHL, on their website, I cannot find out if the X4 models will offer alternate and simultaneous use of internal rotary sim and Vent II.

I imagine that might result in a cool "double-Leslie" setup, especially if there were individual outputs available for both OR an internal, in OS/firmware realized, digital mixer w/ individual volume and balance options for both, summing ´em into the main stereo out.

I´ll have to wait for the manual since there are only the old ones available for download.

A.C.

The Uhl organs are about 20% more expensive across the line, but the MAG prices are for the basic model, getting a vent costs you extra, and I think there are other options, MAG is a custom outfit so they'll build to order.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Given Keyboard partner has recently announced a new version of the HX3 with extra (non-traditional) drawbars and extra sounds it'll be interesting to see where MAG and Uhl go with it.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2928813/HX3_5_Module_Coming#Post2928813

Given Keyboard partner has recently announced a new version of the HX3 with extra (non-traditional) drawbars and extra sounds it'll be interesting to see where MAG and Uhl go with it.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2928813/HX3_5_Module_Coming#Post2928813

UHL X4 V1 & V2 already use the new HX3 mk5 (HX3.5) board w/ more powerfull FPGA (DSP) and all the new features related to the former HX3 tonewheel organ model.

There´s more headroom for development now in addition and the update process doesn´t require a computer anymore.

All the additional features like Hammond H model, more virtual drawbar harmonics, Böhm & Wersi models, sample player and whatnot are OPTIONAL and require purchase of additional licences also when buying the HX3.5-board from Keyboardpartner now.

There was a period of time those features were free, but that´s over.

So, anyone can use the HX3.5 engine how he wants,- as a pure clonewheel model it formerly already was w/ less FPGA power and lacking some features which are now available w/ the new board,- or as a multi-model organ incl. a GM standard sample player.

I guess MAG will use the new HX3.5 engine too.

A.C.

......and all the new features related to the former HX3 tonewheel organ model.
What precisely is all the new features related to the former tonewheel organ? Will these new B3 features make it worth to upgrade to HX3.5 for someone which is only interested in the B3 emulation?

The new HX3.5 has at the moment NO new features or sound related to the B3 or Leslie Simulation.

All the new features are related to the simulation of the H100, Wersi, Böhm

simulations.

It is still not clear or announced if or what are any new features for the B3 sound.

MAG and UHL have to use the new boards cause no others are available anymore. As far as I know the next MAG will be shipped with the new board.

BTW

The 2900 euros for MAG C2 is the basic price without the mini vent inside. With this option the Uhl X4 V2 and the MAG C2 are nearly the same price.

The UHL has the display and the halfmoon integrated. The MAG has the original layout and metal drawbars.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

The new HX3.5 ...

simulations.

Quote from keyboardpartner website according the the HX3.5 board:

"Tonewheel organ emulation module HX3.5, fully self-contained, for control with MIDI or attached keybeds. New version mk5 with B3 Organ/Rotary Licence installed, dual MIDI input, USB MIDI, 24 additional GM sounds."

"Sound generation: HX3 RealOrgan Sound Engine, hardware emulation (physical modeling) by 6th generation FPGA. Additional quad core DSP with 64 MByte sample memory for reverb/efx and 128 GM2 voices, choice of 24 voices available"

So, I was wrong according to the GM2 sample player (24 sounds/ 128 voices).

It´s already included and DOESN´T require an additional licence.

I also understood, the USB connection is now for MIDI too and the board offers connectivity for a SD-card reader (which can be/ is used for updates,- as described on the UHL website).

The reverb processor changed:"modern quad-core DREAM SAM5504"

It also powers the GM2 engine.

No idea which stock GM2-library comes w/ the board,- but they say there are "high-quality piano" samples in the works.

The info comes from Keyboardpartner "tales from the lab" june 19 this year.

It´s in german language only.

I expect new HX3 expanders coming w/ the new board and all the features mentioned above w/o additional costs,- and I hope for the piano library being included already or at least being available for download soon.

The german UHL website tells us, (because of the new processor) the reverb is new and offers 3 variants and there´s keyclick on key release now too.

IMO, at least the latter is releated to the Hammond sound,- no ?

A.C.

The new HX3.5 has at the moment NO new features or sound related to the B3 or Leslie Simulation.

simulations.

Why ? Please tell me why ?

OK, Yamaha also offered a Toy piano in their Reface CP...

Why? No idea..... ask them.

I don't care about a 8MB (!) sample set of GM or any Piano Sample

that will come in the future....

Anyway, I am out of the game. My mk4 Expander is

"enough" for me live. It will stay like it is.

I did my own 19" Inch expander with extension Board

and 11 pin. It controls my 11pin Leslie.

In my studio the Uhl X3 was replaced by a XK5-System...

Maybe in the future when I see "significant" new

feature regarding B3/122 Sim I will think about

changing my expander board.

But there will be a lot of updates meanwhile I guess...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Archived