Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

One thing that I found a bit confusing is that when you search for and bring in another Performace (say for a split or layer), if that performance consists of multiple parts it'll bring them all in.

I only bring in single-part Performances (ones in green, and it's also an attribute you can filter by). But there's also an option that lets you pick exactly which Parts oa a multi-Part performance you want to import into your new performance.

Pretty much everything you want to know is at https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/using-montage-category-search

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dang I thought I couldn't use airplane mode and wifi (I use x32 to control my mix). Thanks for that, and also for the info on turning off the beep-beep boop-boop though :)

I'll change auto-lock as well.

All in all though it's been painless, I really thought I'd have some issues to work through. I do have some gain matching to watch for between the ipad and modx internals but you have that with multiple hardware keyboards too.

User ignorance is so far the biggest issue, this thread has taught me at least four basic things that I should have already known :D

Cool! Yeah, I use airplane mode to prevent anything from trying to interfere, like messages, zoom, or phone calls. I am only connected to the router the engineer is using for the monitor desk.

The gig we played this past Thursday night had a fantastic setup: Full ear system with body packs for everyone. we just provided our own buds. Each of us already had the various apps on our devices.

We are actually about to invest in this type of setup ourselves, so all we have to do is hand off FOH to the house, and we control the rest. Consistent sound in our ears for every show.

Yeah, it's very nice to use my iPhone or iPad to control my ears mix. I just get the wifi password to the router they use for their board. They assign my aux bus and then during sound check I dial in the perfect mix for my ears.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Dang I thought I couldn't use airplane mode and wifi (I use x32 to control my mix). Thanks for that, and also for the info on turning off the beep-beep boop-boop though :)

The gig we played this past Thursday night had a fantastic setup: Full ear system with body packs for everyone. we just provided our own buds. Each of us already had the various apps on our devices.

We are actually about to invest in this type of setup ourselves, so all we have to do is hand off FOH to the house, and we control the rest. Consistent sound in our ears for every show.

Yeah, it's very nice to use my iPhone or iPad to control my ears mix. I just get the wifi password to the router they use for their board. They assign my aux bus and then during sound check I dial in the perfect mix for my ears.

The band I used to be part of and now (or will soon again...) regularly sub for moved to that system a couple of years ago. They had to get a new PA to make it work, but it was worth it. It makes sound check incredibly easy and quick, and it's just such a luxury being able to adjust your own mix on the fly at any point during the gig, without having to shout or motion to the PA guy.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had my MODX for a year this month. Its my first synths since i brought a Korg N5 years and years ago. In fact ive not touched a keyboard for a good 20+ years, and I"m amazed at how things have come along since then.

Really love my MODX, and at the moment I"m playing in two band using just this, and my ipad for the Organ sounds (VB3m). I really dont mind the Organ sounds in the MODX, they do the job well (I"m not an organ player as such, nor a pianist) but the VB3m blows them all away with its much better Leslie sim.

My big negatives are, the lack of setting different key ranges in different scenes using the same sound. Big pain as its eating in to the sounds i can use in each performance. I tend to use one performance per song. I normally have slot 8 set to control my ipad on midi channel 8. So having to duplicate say 2 sounds to give me full keyboard and split keyboard doesn't leave much for others sounds. Although not all the songs are like this, i prefer using scenes as the 'real" buttons are easier to operate, and more reliable than the touch screen when timing is crucial.

The other issue isâ¦â¦oh wait, nope, there isn"t any more lol.

Just wish i had got the 7 and not the 6 now, but thats it. Love this thing. One day ill get the 7 and have both,

Flipflip, I think there is a way to put two instruments in one Part if you can do with fewer 'Elements' for each of the two instruments. If you go into Part Edit, you will find that you can set the key range for each of the up to eight elements within the part. Build each of the two instruments for your split by selecting only four elements (instead of eight) for each instrument and set the key range for each set of four elements to make your split. I hope this makes sense. And, no, I haven"t done this before.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I have hit a limitation in regard to midi. Granted, I'm trying to do something fancy and fiddly that probably isn't called for by many :)

I have been using the MODX to play b3 organ from the ipad, with the usb handling both midi messages and the audio.

We do a lot of piano + organ songs, and my other keyboard is a pure synth (an impractical and totally self-indulgent purchase of a Summit, got a great deal!) Anyway, for those tunes, I'd really like to be able to play the MODX pianos from the Summit. Unfortunately the MODX has a toggle of USB OR Midi, at least when it comes to responding to midi. I tested this and it's either/or. It's under "Utility" so it isn't some per-patch setting unfortunately (though even if it was, my use case is to do both at once.)

I may do the opposite, have the Summit play organ and forego the interface on the MODX, letting it play piano. As my other thread talks about though, the Summit itself has limitations on being a midi controller so the ideal situation would be if the MODX were able to respond to midi messages on a given channel while being able to still send midi via usb to the ipad.

I just got a MODX7 last week and it's great. Never had a board with so many different sounds and most of them sound really good. Ended up purchasing several of Narf Sounds libraries as I have no skills when it comes to programming sounds and setups for different songs.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

We do a lot of piano + organ songs, and my other keyboard is a pure synth (an impractical and totally self-indulgent purchase of a Summit, got a great deal!) Anyway, for those tunes, I'd really like to be able to play the MODX pianos from the Summit. Unfortunately the MODX has a toggle of USB OR Midi, at least when it comes to responding to midi. I tested this and it's either/or. It's under "Utility" so it isn't some per-patch setting unfortunately (though even if it was, my use case is to do both at once.)
Could you connect both MODX and Summit to your iPad and run a utility to route MIDI appropriately between the two boards and B3 app?

I guess you'd need to add a USB hub to the rig, which adds setup/teardown time.

Cheers, Mike.

I just got a MODX7 last week and it's great. Never had a board with so many different sounds and most of them sound really good. Ended up purchasing several of Narf Sounds libraries as I have no skills when it comes to programming sounds and setups for different songs.

Would love to know what you think of the Narf libraries as have been considering them...

Flipflip, I think there is a way to put two instruments in one Part if you can do with fewer 'Elements' for each of the two instruments. If you go into Part Edit, you will find that you can set the key range for each of the up to eight elements within the part. Build each of the two instruments for your split by selecting only four elements (instead of eight) for each instrument and set the key range for each set of four elements to make your split. I hope this makes sense. And, no, I haven"t done this before.

Not sure if this solves it for him - one thing I do to get multiple 'instruments' from a single Performance, used to do same with Voices in Motif ⦠use AF1 and AF2. I will program half of the Elements to be active with ALL AF OFF, then half to be active with AF1 On (or AF2 On). I programmed a standard latch footswitch to enable me to trigger AF1 with my foot (hands free).

I haven"t used scenes a lot yet. I"m also interested in VB3m - reading great reports on it. I am still loving my MODX, I"ve had it for almost 2 yrs though 1 yr was eaten away by COVID. So glad they came out with the MODX7 - thats the sweet spot for me to be comfortable with a one board rig. Anyone who got the 6, should get the 7 :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Would love to know what you think of the Narf libraries as have been considering them...

They're great! I could never program some of these songs in such detail. Sure I can do basic layering and splits but I'm lost when it comes to arpeggiators and sequencers. Most songs have multiple scenes for different sounds/setups within the song. Think I'm going to get his film set next although even though I'll never use those in a band situation.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Could you connect both MODX and Summit to your iPad and run a utility to route MIDI appropriately between the two boards and B3 app?

I guess you'd need to add a USB hub to the rig, which adds setup/teardown time.

Cheers, Mike.

That did occur to me and it's something I can test. The Summit has some limitations, the main one being that midi channels are global. I either have to use the Single global channel for the ipad, and ONLY play split multis when I want to avoid that channel, or do the opposite and use one of the multi channels for the ipad and avoid split multis. Kind of stinks but I got a response back from Novation saying that's the workaround.

I like simplicity and above all making sure things work at gigs :) So my fallback option is doing what I've been doing: piano and organ on the MODX7, and work more synth patches into songs 80s style :) I played piano, organ and everthing else on on a Jx-10 at one point :D Not that I really want to re-live that. We do a fair number of guitar rock tunes with no keys, and normally I play organ on those almost as a pseudo 2nd guitar, no reason I can't play a synth instead.

If there is some magic utility on the ipad that, once hooked up to everything, can make things work flexibly with a button press, that would be great, but I know little of ipad apps for music other than a couple synths and b-3x.

Edit: there do appear to be at least a few interesting-sounding apps. Like this one, Midiflow: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midiflow/id879915554

Edit 2: Test pretty much worked with the hub! I hooked the hub main usb to the ipad, and then the Summit and MODX usb connections to the hub.

The audio from the ipad was heard through the MODX, and both could play organ at once (and if I was a real player, I could set the lower manual to a different channel.) I did have to change B-3X to "ANY" as far as midi, since when it saw the Summit it literally set itself to "Summit" in the app. I guess something in the midi spec sends the keyboard name :)

Still not ideal because I'll be limiting what I can do with the Summit one way or another. If I use Singles, then no splits (and I have a couple songs where I use them). If I use Multis only, my polyphony drops in half because I think A and B each reserve 8, whereas the Singles use 16. I'll have to see if there's any benefit of using the ipad apps at this point. Patch changing both keyboards would be handy. I'd have to literally be able to take messages from one channel and change them to another to get around the Summit issue I think, that or have the utility be able to send 0 volume messages to either the ipad or Summit per-patch or something like that. But it does mean that if I can live with that, I can have piano on the whole MODX7 range and organ on the Summit so that is a great step forward.

They're great! I could never program some of these songs in such detail. Sure I can do basic layering and splits but I'm lost when it comes to arpeggiators and sequencers. Most songs have multiple scenes for different sounds/setups within the song. Think I'm going to get his film set next although even though I'll never use those in a band situation.

Polkahero, what library did you purchase? Sometimes these things can be "hit or miss." Any standout programs? Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Polkahero, what library did you purchase? Sometimes these things can be "hit or miss." Any standout programs? Thanks!

I got 1,2,6, and 7. Really impressed with Uptown Funk, everything and then some is incorporated into the setup. Livin' On A Prayer even has the talkbox guitar parts triggered which are really cool.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Overall they are pretty good. He did a ton of work using the arps, and prodigious use of scenes. One thing to keep in mind is that the bulk were designed on the MODX 8 , so some splits and layers may/will need to be adjusted.

Here is an example of his Kyrie patch as played on my MODX 7 This is just an example that I was fooling around with. Listen closely and you can hear the intro "flutey" arp change as the intro chords I play change. Same with the main synth bass arp.

I deconstructed NARF's work a bit to adapt it to my MODX 7 as far as where the arp trigger keys were, etc.... That's why the transition to the bass arp is not smooth :)

Take a listen. All sounds MODX All playing and triggering by me.

Dave's Sound Cloud Kyrie example

David

I realize this is getting a bit off the MODX, but it led me to this path by having an IOS interface :)

Stoken6 planted the seed of using an ios app to route things. I purchased Midiflow about 30 minutes ago, I had a balance and the darn thing was only 6.99!

I literally have worked with it for 15 minutes and have two presets that are making something possible that wasn't before.

First, I disabled Local on the Summit, unfortunately this is a global thing.

- my first preset routes an input keyboard (Summit) to a destination (a Virtual output created in Midiflow, this is then selectable by B-3X as a midi source). End result: The summit doesn't sound (local is off) while the organ does.

- second preset routes the summit to itself. Because B-3X is listening to Midiflow, and this 2nd preset doesn't connect the keyboard to B-3X, the end result is that the Summit plays itself via midi while the organ doesn't play.

I'd like to do this without turning local off on the Summit but I guess in for a penny....:D If the ipad went tits up it's easy enough to turn local back on and roll with the MODX and Summit sounds. If I can get program changes to work, a "blank" preset on the Summit would do it, as would sending a controller 7 (volume) value of 0...probably a few ways to do it. Maybe even sysex to turn local on and off.

Simply amazing how this stuff simply works with little fuss sometimes.

Next I'd like to see about getting Midiflow presets to send program changes to both the MODX and Summit (and of course any internal app sounds on B-3X, though I generally just use one and tweak via controllers.)

I can also set things up so that the MODX controls B-3X if I have a song where it makes sense to have organ along with synth from the Summit. Renegade from Styx and a couple others come to mind. And heck probably use this thing to route the Summit to the Modx and vice versa. I feel a mad scientist laugh bubbling up.

I need to read up on how the MODX responds to program (and perhaps bank) changes. I've never bothered before, I just navigate the user sets--I find them a tad clunky. I had to make a 2 dollar additional purchase to get Midiflow to send program changes on preset load, and it works fine with the MODX, but loads whatever is in "1" (the value I sent), which is a piano/electric piano preset.

Ideally I can get the program changes to change the patches within the user sets.

I need to read up on how the MODX responds to program (and perhaps bank) changes. I've never bothered before, I just navigate the user sets--I find them a tad clunky. I had to make a 2 dollar additional purchase to get Midiflow to send program changes on preset load, and it works fine with the MODX, but loads whatever is in "1" (the value I sent), which is a piano/electric piano preset.

Ideally I can get the program changes to change the patches within the user sets.

When you start messing around feel free to drop me a message. You can either call up a Program with MSB LSB PC , or call a Live Set with MSB LSB PC.

The live set one can get tricky depending on how your live sets are organized

You also need to make sure you enter the exact MSB and LSB when selecting programs as it"s also possible to select a simple part within a program and all of a sudden you have dialed up an organ program, only to have changed part 1 to a Tuba sound. Ask me how I know :D

David

To start: MSB 64 and LSB 32 is your friend (from memory) :)

Overall they are pretty good. He did a ton of work using the arps, and prodigious use of scenes. One thing to keep in mind is that the bulk were designed on the MODX 8 , so some splits and layers may/will need to be adjusted.

Here is an example of his Kyrie patch as played on my MODX 7 This is just an example that I was fooling around with. Listen closely and you can hear the intro "flutey" arp change as the intro chords I play change. Same with the main synth bass arp.

I deconstructed NARF's work a bit to adapt it to my MODX 7 as far as where the arp trigger keys were, etc.... That's why the transition to the bass arp is not smooth :)

Take a listen. All sounds MODX All playing and triggering by me.

Dave's Sound Cloud Kyrie example

Thanks David and also spent some time checking out them out on Narf - there's some great work on there. The issue I've decided is my band - we only play four of the songs across the whole eight sound sets so not worth buying :(

that sounds correct from my really quick googling. I found one youtube vid that showed me where to get the info for each MODX performance.

I was thinking that it would be preferable to somehow get the location of a live set spot, which of course can include performances from all over the place, but it's not a huge deal if I need to go directly to the performance itself. I'll just favorite all the ones I use or make so that I can easily go through them, which means the live sets would become kind of extra if I'm doing everything from an ipad anyway.

My midi knowledge is ancient so some of this MSB/LSB stuff is new to me, but I've already seen that Midiflow gives the option to enter it. I quickly verified that it works with the "on load" capability--choosing a Midiflow preset will send out any number of controller/bank/patch changes you want with the desired values, so now it's just a question of setting the correct value!

So far so good...midi hasn't changed that much in the 30+ years that I first learned it!

Edit: and yes EscapeRocks I immediately encountered the issue of changing just one part of a performance...I was seeing "Chamber Strings" yet hearing a synth bass...then something else when I kept sending different patch changes etc. :D

On the live set thing yeah not sure if you can directly select a live set screen. I've just manually added each of my user patches to a live set and it's just my backup option if MainStage dies...

Yes, to start... 64 is the most important as that is what selects the entire performance, and not the individual part.

When you're in the specific program, you can actually hit the program home button, then hit the "property" on the screen and the info will pop up and tell you what the MSB LSB PC is for that particular program. Remember, USER PRG have different call outs than Factory Progs as far as MSB/LSB

:)

David

On the live set thing yeah not sure if you can directly select a live set screen. I've just manually added each of my user patches to a live set and it's just my backup option if MainStage dies...

You can, you just have to wrap your head around how it works. You need to think of the 16 slots per live set page, and not the name of the program in that slot.

From BadMister at Yamaha

Starting with MSB/LSB 62/0 each Page has sixteen Programs

User Live Set Bank 1, Page 1 would be MSB 62, LSB 0.... followed by the PC 1-16 corresponding to the slot

User Live Set Bank 1, Page 2 would be MSB 62, LSB 1.... followed by the PC 1-16 corresponding to the slot

User Live Set Bank 1, Page 3 would be MSB 62, LSB 2.... followed by the PC 1-16 corresponding to the slot

and so on... through to

User Live Set Bank 1, Page 16 would be MSB 62, LSB 15.... followed by the PC 1-16 corresponding to the slot

This gives you access via MSB/LSB/PC to 256 slots per Live Set listing.

Then there are 8 User Live Set Banks, each containing the 256 slots.

One thing that is also important.. DO NOT leave any blank slots on your Live Set page except at the end. i.e., don't have an item in live set slot 1, nothing in slot 2, then something in slot 3. The MODX will often fail to bring up your next Live set slot you call up. Again, ask me how I know :)

It works really well, once you take the time to set it up.

When I am gigging with my MODX7 over my MODX 8, I use my MODX 7 as the master patch change board sending PC to the MODX 8 Hitting the live set on the 7 calls the proper live set on the 8. This is the part that takes awhile, as you have to go into the program that's in a Live set on the 7, and put the MSB/LSB/PC info on one of the parts when you turn on the Zone Master for that Part.

Once it's setup, It is wonderful!

When I use Mainstage or Gig performer in the setup, The MODX 7 send PC to those programs, and then I let those send PC to whatever board I'm using as my 88. Lately I've been using my Roland A88 MK2 controller, so all sounds from a combination of MODX 7 and MS or GP

Basically all my boards and computers stuff is setup and ready to go depending on what boards I am using. The constant is the MODX 7

I save my MODX 7 data on 5 separate thumb drives One for no computer (MODX8) One for Mainstage with MODX 8 One with MS and A88, then 2 for GP in the same manner.

I also have different Concerts (MS) or Gigs(GP) based on what hardware boards I may be using.

I also have MS and GP setups for "fly in" gigs where backline will be provided. That's another discussion on setup

This stuff is fun for me :D

David

Oo, I actually like the idea of selecting a live set slot, if I'm understanding that. Let's say I have a performance on live set 2, slot 1 for a certain song A. If I can send program changes to that "slot", then if I decide to replace Song A's performance with a different one then I can do so on the Live Set and I won't need to adjust the actual bank/program change value I'm sending.

Not a biggie either way, I don't really use that many different patches, certainly not one per song or anything.

I actually do have some blank slots, I'll be shifting things around to get rid of those!

I still need to test an unpowered usb hub to see if that works, I'd rather avoid having yet another wall wart. I have my ipad on my keyboard so logistics with camera connection kit and the short cable on hubs starts to come in. I might have to find a spot for the ipad on the ground or lower down to avoid having a nest of stuff up on my keyboard stand somewhere....

Speaking of, how/where does everyone put their ipads (if you have one) and manage the cabling?

Just not sure how you folks cope with the MODX 8 keybed?? If it wasn't for that I'd swap out the PC4 in an instant :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have the Moxf8 (bought for my son) with (I believe) the same action and it certainly isn't my favorite. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it for gigs or try to sell, I'd prefer to have something at home that I really enjoy playing.

Ok, I'm trying this out and so far not getting it to work...

From the Bad Mister post:

User Live Set Bank 1, Page 1 would be MSB 62, LSB 0.... followed by the PC 1-16 corresponding to the slot

As I mentioned, the last time I dealt with band and patch changes there wasn't anything using the MSB/LSB that I knew of so I'm likely doing it wrong.

To get the MODX to change to the first slot in the user sets, does this mean I need to send three messages?

cc 0, value 62

cc 32, value 0

program change, value 1 (or whatever slot you want, if starting at 0 then I'd be off by 1 but no matter for testing).

I'm attempting to send three such messages using Midiflow, so far the MODX is not changing anything. If I simply send a program change it does respond so the overall connections and channel work.

I suspect somehow I'm supposed to combine the first two messages into one (like a pitch bend message uses more bits) but I'm not sure how to do that in Midiflow at this point.

Edit: It worked! I fumbled around in Midiflow until I got it to work. It was not intuitive. Indeed there are only two actual messages. I'll leave my post above as a possible help to someone else.

I'm only sending cc 32, nowhere did I set a "0" for that MSB...so I may just be lucking out by virtue of not needing to use higher banks.

Midiflow shows this:

MSB: CC32

LSB: CC31

Value: 62

Not a value for each of those ccs, a value for the whole screen which has both. No idea what I'd do if I needed the MSB to be say 1 or 2 etc.... I'm pretty confused by that honestly but it worked. I follow that message with the 2nd one, a program change to 1. t jumps to user set 1, the 2nd slot (because the first one would be 0).

That's pretty outstanding because now I can also send a different PC if I want to the Summit and B-3X if I wanted with the same preset in Midiflow.

Also, an update on the unpowered hub: works just as well as the powered one, midi and audio flow where they should. I am wrestling with B-3X which wants to reset its buffer to 1024, and when it's that high I feel the latency. When it switched to this, it reloads and it becomes the only choice, which is pretty darn annoying.

Posting here hoping someone can help me how to store a performance, this shouldn't be this difficult. I changed one of the velocity parameters in a Live Set performance from Narf Sounds. Hit the Store button and overwrote the performance. Went to a different Live Set performance and switched back to the original that I changed and it's still showing the original velocity parameter without any changes that I made. What am I doing wrong?

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR