Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shocking KEYTAR news

Bobby Simons

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I capitalize on the instrument's lack of respect to surprise the audience with some good / interesting playing. It's also nice for going to public jam sessions and offering to play bass, since everyone else in the county brings a 6-string acoustic. :)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Oh, man....At first glance I thought this was an Onion article.

I had decided to look for a Roland AX Synth several months ago, then saw the prices being commanded on eBay and Reverb. Too rare for my wallet..Will just hang onto the original Vortex, for now.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I capitalize on the instrument's lack of respect to surprise the audience with some good / interesting playing. It's also nice for going to public jam sessions and offering to play bass, since everyone else in the county brings a 6-string acoustic. :)

Yeah, people can make fun all they want, but I'm having fun AND the audiences love it when I bring out one of mine.

Here's my custom painted Vortex 2 Wireless, and my custom painted original Vortex 1.

zLtt22.jpg

Utc8Fj.jpg

wxl7Z7.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

At one time, I had an Axis, an RK100, a Lync LN4, KX1 and The AX1

I destroyed the LN4 after it failed in the middle of a SOLO gig. The RK100 went with one of my very favorite people to a Krakow recording studio and remains there to this day. The Axis was in the trunk of a girlfriend's car in the middle of a very complicated breakup and was never seen again.

The KX1 was supposedly one of two owned by Herbie and way NOT the one played at the Grammys. I sold it to the wife of a very famous musician who had always wanted one. I gave her a very fair price.

I still have the lovely AX1. I pull it out on occasion. I wish I was cool enough to pull it off on stage.

"For instance" is not proof.

In my opinion, keyboard players began to shy away from... those things, when the consensus on the name started to somehow settle on "keytar".

It's the most embarassing name possible. I have nothing against guitarists, but I'm not one, and playing an instrument called keyt... that thing, would depict me as a wannabe, not proud of his instrument of choice.

Several years ago, there was a kind of referendum on this forum about this very subject, and the most voted name was "freeboard". I like it. Call it a freeboard, and I could even try to repossess my AZ-1.

I actually bought the Alesis dirt-cheap during a Sweetwater sale when they were unloading stock in advance of the new wireless model. While trying it out, my wife walked in, took one look and burst out laughing.

I returned it.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

In my opinion, keyboard players began to shy away from... those things, when the consensus on the name started to somehow settle on "keytar".

It's the most embarassing name possible. . .

Now that you put it that way, I believe you are absolutely correct.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Several years ago, there was a kind of referendum on this forum about this very subject, and the most voted name was "freeboard".

As I said at the time, it's only called a freeboard if you're playing Lynyrd Skynyrd on it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I find it interesting that you can be in a thread here on sight-reading Bach but if someone mentions "keytar" the conversation predictably and immediately switches on to that familiar track. So much talk about something of so little consequence . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I capitalize on the instrument's lack of respect to surprise the audience with some good / interesting playing.

That lack of respect only comes from judgy other musicians mostly. The audience LOVES the keytar.

As a lead singer who plays keys the keytar has been invaluable for me.

I had decided to look for a Roland AX Synth several months ago, then saw the prices being commanded on eBay and Reverb. Too rare for my wallet..Will just hang onto the original Vortex, for now.

Ya I was looking on eBay this past weekend cause I had some technical issues with mine (Roland Ax-7) at a show on Saturday and was weighing repair/replace pros and cons. The prices Ax-Synths and AX-7's and AX-1's are fetching are out of this world. I wish I had held on to my AX-1 until now to sell.

Yeah, people can make fun all they want, but I'm having fun AND the audiences love it when I bring out one of mine.

Here's my custom painted Vortex 2 Wireless, and my custom painted original Vortex 1.

zLtt22.jpg

Utc8Fj.jpg

wxl7Z7.jpg

Ooooh pretty!!!

Ya in my old band I actually had two and we would allow people to get their pics taken with them and we put them up on the website. That band is defunct now but I kept all the pics. Good times.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10155343103197617&type=3

I capitalize on the instrument's lack of respect to surprise the audience with some good / interesting playing.

That lack of respect only comes from judgy other musicians mostly. The audience LOVES the keytar.

As a lead singer who plays keys the keytar has been invaluable for me.

Excellent. I often post about the fallacy of following the herd. Create your own following

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I wouldn't have bpught one at the normal price but found one new on sale In my store at 700$ CAN, so, I jumped on it.....But I have to say,It gets less use than my stage2....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

we saw Herbie playing it in concert. He made it sing and the audience loved it.

It's actually in the Smithsonian Museum of American History. I took these photo's last summer, had my youngest son in tow.

Q95u1v.jpg

YaFNay.jpg

I didn't want to make the photo's any larger, but if you right click and save to your desktop, you can then enlarge the bottom photo to read the text written about Herbie.

:nopity:

Archived