Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

On 7/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, allan_evett said:

Curious as to how the NC2X>B-3X control setup works 

i use the 2x with both b3x and vb3m and a few other ipad apps as well.  works great here. i have one preset made for b3x and another for vb3m. (had to reverse/invert the drawbars on one of them).

On 7/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, brenner13 said:

Really hope it works for your needs. I’m still gigging with this as my piano/ep/pad/vox organ underneath a VR09 that does hammond and synth leads. I’ve just not been able to get along with the internal rotary on the Numa 2X so I’m still futzing with VB3m and B-3X on iOS being controlled by it…once I get that sorted out and reliable, the MODX7 just might finally replace the VR09 in the gig rig. 

If the sounds and action work out, I can highly recommend the Studiologic proprietary case for the Numa Compact 2/2X. The backpack straps are wonderful.

As an aside, I've had my MODX7 + ipad on a fair number of gigs now.  I had one shaky first set where they refused to talk for whatever reason (I also had an ominous "would you like to update your ipad to use the attached device" out of the blue) but smooth sailing since that time (probably fifteen gigs).   I am certainly not using it to full potential, I only use one patch on B-3X to go with one patch on the MODX7 and have mapped only a few things (leslie gain, tube screamer on/off as a boost).   I haven't used it in a split or layer with internal sounds, but that is certainly possible (for simplicity I tend to just the internal organs for such patches.)   The MODX7 doesn't have a set of nine sliders so I haven't done drawbars, but the drawbar presets can be handy as they appear on the bottom octave.   I do tend to bump them when swiping up or down though!

I owned a VR700 and while that sounded fine, this sounds a good deal better.  IK knocked it out of the park IMO.   There's a part of me still nervous about relying on an ipad, but I have backup plans (the organs in my modx and forte when I use it, and a lester K on my pedalboard).  The MODX7 has that nice clear space to the right, I have my ipad velcroed on there, with a small bit of velcro to hold my camera connection kit down.  Then one short usb to the modx port, and a longer one down to my power strip to keep the ipad charged.   

43 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I only use one patch on B-3X ... I haven't used it in a split or layer with internal sounds, but that is certainly possible (for simplicity I tend to just the internal organs for such patches.)

It is equally simple to use the external sound as part of a split/layer... in fact, that's a particular MODX strength. If your "one patch" for B-3X is a single-part Performance (which sounds like the case), the process for adding it to a split/layer is exactly the same as adding any other single-part Performance. There is no difference at all between adding a native single-Part MODX organ sound to a Performance vs. adding the single-Part B3X organ sound to that same Performance. The process is literally identical.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So far so good with Numa Compact 2X, at my teaching space. Used it during lessons today, and even the core stage grand held up well. One of my students, who is starting to play some early-advanced classical material, was impressed. While he agreed that keys are not piano-weighted, he did feel that the playability and expressiveness are very strong. We thought that installing the Japanese and German grands would take the sound quality up a notch, but that’s when the proverbial excrement hit the oscillator.

Attempting to download and install the Japanese Grand was an exercise in futility. I have a MacBook Pro in the space, and though the Numa Manager app works great, the downloaded .bin file will simply not open. I’ve tried several ‘unzipping’ apps, but no luck. Even tried the suggestion of unzipping the file in the Terminal area on the Mac; nada. At this point I’m about ready to eat bees; so it’s time to set this little gem aside, go home and download - unarchive all the NC2X expansion files on a PC, then load them into the cloud and re-access the usable files on my work space Mac, tomorrow - unless anyone here can tell me how to blast open a .bin zipped file on a MBP..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

48 minutes ago, allan_evett said:

the Numa Manager app works great, the downloaded .bin file will simply not open. I’ve tried several ‘unzipping’ apps, but no luck. 

a .bin file is already in its final form. There's no need (and no way) to "unzip" it. It should simply open within the app it is designed for. IOW, load the Numa Manager, pick Open, navigate to the .bin file and select it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

a .bin file is already in its final form. There's no need (and no way) to "unzip" it. It should simply open within the app it is designed for. IOW, load the Numa Manager, pick Open, navigate to the .bin file and select it.

I tried to open the .bin file within Numa Manager, but it was 'grayed out' when trying to choose it.  I just read about setting Safari to open 'safe' files after downloading, maybe that'll resolve the problem.  Btw, the .bin file appears 'zipped' when downloaded. It seems I've seen .bin file that were actally opened files - 'with no zipped up' appearance. 

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

22 hours ago, allan_evett said:

I tried to open the .bin file within Numa Manager, but it was 'grayed out' when trying to choose it.  I just read about setting Safari to open 'safe' files after downloading, maybe that'll resolve the problem.  Btw, the .bin file appears 'zipped' when downloaded. It seems I've seen .bin file that were actally opened files - 'with no zipped up' appearance. 

Situation resolved. The default toggle in Numa Manager’s library edit mode is “Program”. It needs to be set to “Sounds” for loading new sample sets. After selecting that option, .bin files are no longer grayed-out and can be loaded.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Looking to get one of these to potentially incorporate an iPad into my gigging rig.  How involved is the process for switching MIDI output between the MIDI out port and the USB port?  For example, if I have a synth module connected to the MIDI out port, and my iPad connected to the USB port, can switching between the two be done quickly (ideally with minimal button presses), or would menu diving be involved?  I would assume there would be some use of its zone implementation (which I don't quite fully grasp yet after skimming the manual).

And in another situation, if I had two apps on two different MIDI channels on my iPad (and nothing connected to the MIDI out port), what would be the process in switching between those two?  Or would that have to be handled on the iPad instead?

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Update 2.0 for the Numa Compact 2/2x is now out, including much requested rotary updates! Will be interested to hear owner’s thoughts after the update.

Hello Jordan. Yes I just found that out on fbook page and the changes look good. Real good.

I just got hold of a used but mint 2x from a forum member a few weeks ago and loving digging into it in its current guise although there's changes I'd too would like to see.

Presently its packed away way while house is tentatively on market so I cant access it. None of my room keyboards are even connected to amps as the leads, power cables & pedals are packed away to keep house presentable when the punters view it.

I plan to update but want to dig in more to it as standard first. Im wary about updating and bricking it as Ive never done an update on any keyboard.

My question to you or any owner is there any potential for bricking the Numa with the updates anyone has heard of. Ive never connected a keyboard to a computer as Ive been a hardware man for 45 years. USB phhht whats that...a Honey Bee from the states? Hee hee

I like this board as it is in the limited time Ive had it but the update with the zoning being playable with audio plus other updates makes me want to update. I like the zoning implemented in the late 80s and 90s on controllers. Being able to play the 2 zones with audio gets it a little closer to oldtime controllers.

I just did the new update on my Numa Compact 2x.  Studiologic fixed my biggest issues which were the unchangeable way-too-fast rotary sim and the overdrive.  There are some other nice goodies in the update as well (e.g. leakage adjustment, mic position, choice of two organ models, triggering rotary with sustain pedal, etc.). 

IMHO the Numa Compact 2x just became an even better deal at its price point.   Thank you Studiologic! 👍

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

2 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

My question to you or any owner is there any potential for bricking the Numa with the updates anyone has heard of. Ive never connected a keyboard to a computer as Ive been a hardware man for 45 years. USB phhht whats that...a Honey Bee from the states? Hee hee

it's super easy. follow the instructions on the page and it takes 5 mins tops.

just did the update.  leslie fix is welcome.  the leslie overdrive level is cool, but the distortion itself is still kind ofcrappy. i couldn't set it over 15 or so without being annoyed.  ;) 

Sadly, the one thing i hoped they would update, they didn't.  That's changing the program scroll so that after 99 it goes to 1.  and vice versa.  i.e. scroll left from 1 and get 99.  as it is now, to get from 99 to 1 or 2 you have scroll through all 99 programs.

such a great keyboard this is.  keep those updates coming!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

the update with the zoning being playable with audio plus other updates makes me want to update. 

That hasn't changed in the update, as far as I can see. What they appear to have changed in the update is that you can now edit a part without making it the currently-playing part.

10 minutes ago, HSS said:

I just did the new update on my Numa Compact 2x.  Studiologic fixed my biggest issues which were the unchangeable way-too-fast rotary sim and the overdrive.  There are some other nice goodies in the update as well (e.g. leakage adjustment, mic position, choice of two organ models, triggering rotary with sustain pedal, etc.). 👍

It's weird to me that a "feature" of the new tube overdrive simulation seems to be that it remains constant regardless of volume... because that's opposite the behavior of the real thing.

One thing I wished they'd address is accessing your programs, which is done through the scroll wheel, I've always wished the 8 sound bank buttons could be repurposed for direct patch selection of programs. Unfortunately there are only 8 (the original Compact had 10), but even allowing only banks of 8 to be button-selected (i.e. where the 9th and 10th sounds would still have to be scroll-accessed) would still be a big benefit. Adding pedal navigation of patch advance in this update is a nice feature for people who access their sounds in a given order, but doesn't help when you want to access them more randomly.

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

That hasn't changed in the update, as far as I can see. What they appear to have changed in the update is that you can now edit a part without making it the currently-playing part.

Thanks Scott.  Not sure if i said it right with zoning and audio and you were thinking USB audio.. Correct me if wrong

I said audio but I meant the onboard sounds. Due to my current situation I havent been able to test the zoning out as everything is packed away.  (was going to use my Alesis Nanosynth to keep it simple or my Alesis S4 to give similar sounds to my QS6.1 which i used to use as top tier soon if i can access it from storage)

Since getting it I assumed you could only play the 2 zones or the 2 onboard sounds but not all 4 at once hence needing to flick between onboard sounds and the midi button for 2 zones.

What i read into the update is that now it acted as a 4 voice controller with 2 onboard and 2 via midi. 

I must admit i did originally think thats how it was implemented before i actually got it.

But when i got it i read the online manual thoroughly and got the impression from accessing the midi button that it was either onboard sounds or midi zoning not both.

Without access to my modules I hadnt been able to determine with a test.

Very excited about the fact they have updated it

53 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Thanks Scott.  Not sure if i said it right with zoning and audio and you were thinking USB audio.. Correct me if wrong

nope, I wasn't thinking about USB audio.

53 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

I assumed originally you could only play the 2 zones or the 2 onboard sounds but not all 4 at once hence needing to flick between onboard sounds and the midi button for 2 zones.

What i read into the update is that now it acted as a 4 voice controller with 2 omboard and 2 via midi. 

I must admit i did originally think thats how it was implemented before i got it.

But when i got it i read the online manual thoroughly and got the impression from the midi button that itcwas either onboard sounds or midibzonibg not both. Without access to my modules I hadnt been able to determine with a test.

I see where you got that, and I don't have mine setup to test at the moment either, but I don't think it's the case. Here's how I see it. From the update page:

ScreenShot2023-02-10at8_49_38PM.jpg.1ed38cc707fa07b9eaf8ca13f51750e8.jpg

In describing the new navigation system (the heading), the first sentence tells you what the keyboard can--and has always been able to--do. The sentence is there for background context. What's now added is what is describe in the sentence that follows. And the reason I think this is right is this section of the original (pre-update) manual:

ScreenShot2023-02-10at8_49_03PM.jpg.63cbea38950c84a300b2228f7d91a04a.jpg

Note the second example: It says you could, for example, play two internal sounds on one half of the keyboard (piano and strings), while playing two external MIDI sounds (zones, plural) on the other half. So... all four sounds (two internal, two external) simultaneously,

Thanks Scott bugger i got so enthused i drove home today from house hunting and dragged my 2x out and plonked it on top of my Kawai MP9500 where it previously was before the cleanup.

I think it can stay there for the punters looking at my house as i can hide the powerpack but i dont want leads and cables going into the vintage Yamaha EMX300 as ive got this room (spare living area) looking as neat as possible without moving this stuff.

The Grand piano was in this room but even though a big room it looked very cluttered at the time as i had all my hobby stuff in here too thus another reason to move it on plus dont know if it could fit in a downsized home.  Cleaning up leads made all the difference to decluttering the keyboard area without trying to hide Kawai, mixer and speakers.

The Kawai replaced my Yamaha G1 Baby Grand which was necessary to sell to give us a few more months here and less to move. As you can see I utilise 2 Yamaha boxes under the Kawai to resonate thru the non speaker Kawai and i get the feel of resonance of an acoustic. Which also works for the 2x in this setup. The 2x sounds a lot quiter now without the speaker boxes.

Ok Im buggered now after a long day so I'll simply have play the 2x but I did find my Alesis S4 module but need to find the power pack then ill try out the zones over next few days

There is an old vintage SD-35 i can utilise as the power pack is there at a pinch

20230211_164122.jpg

21 hours ago, nadroj said:

Update 2.0 for the Numa Compact 2/2x is now out, including much requested rotary updates! Will be interested to hear owner’s thoughts after the update.

Wow sweet update!  So refreshing to see that StudioLogic hasn't cut bait yet on support and moved on to the next product.  For the $$$, I think it's a pretty nice lightweight 88 key noisemaker.  I like mine anyway.  Hope SL keeps up the good work.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

17 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

One thing I wished they'd address is accessing your programs, which is done through the scroll wheel, I've always wished the 8 sound bank buttons could be repurposed for direct patch selection of programs. Unfortunately there are only 8 (the original Compact had 10), but even allowing only banks of 8 to be button-selected (i.e. where the 9th and 10th sounds would still have to be scroll-accessed) would still be a big benefit. Adding pedal navigation of patch advance in this update is a nice feature for people who access their sounds in a given order, but doesn't help when you want to access them more randomly.

see my earlier post. i.e. <<Sadly, the one thing i hoped they would update, they didn't.  That's changing the program scroll so that after 99 it goes to 1.  and vice versa.  i.e. scroll left from 1 and get 99.  as it is now, to get from 99 to 1 or 2 you have scroll through all 99 programs.>>

this at least shoulda been easy to do and would help majorly.  i was in contact with them about it months ago, so i kinda thought is was gonna be in the update. 

I remember people asking about good carry bag alternatives to the factory bag. Hope this info helps someone.

Fortunately mine came with a Casio bag which fits it very well. Not snug fit as there is a little room in it but very close. The padding is impressive. I believe its the version for the slim line Casio PX3000. Very well made and padded.

It was a lucky addition to my Numa Cocal 2x as the previous owner sold his PX3000 and the buyer didnt want/need the bag. The owner being a fellow forumite was savy enough to know I'd absolutely love this bag as I had waxed lyrical about my existing Casio bag for my PX330.

Hope this helps if you cant get an original bag or want good padding

Resized_IMG_1139~2.jpeg

IMG_1140~2.jpg

8 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

see my earlier post. i.e. <<Sadly, the one thing i hoped they would update, they didn't.  That's changing the program scroll so that after 99 it goes to 1.  and vice versa.  i.e. scroll left from 1 and get 99.  as it is now, to get from 99 to 1 or 2 you have scroll through all 99 programs.>>

this at least shoulda been easy to do and would help majorly.  i was in contact with them about it months ago, so i kinda thought is was gonna be in the update. 

Really, even just an options where you could use the 8 buttons for immediate 1-button access to your 8 favorite sounds would go a long way for me.

• Like 1

What a fantastic company…still updating a late model keyboard. Very anxious to get the new firmware installed and give it a run-down. I have just been using my 2X as a controller lately. Now have to figure in another stereo audio channel as the studio gets rearranged. What fun.

• Like 2

After the most recent update, I'm a very happy camper now that Studiologic has at least improved the NC2x's Leslie sim which was by far my biggest complaint.  Any other improvements are gravy as far as I'm concerned.  Yes, there are other things that can certainly be improved on the NC2x but at its price point IMO folks may be expecting too much.  Again, good job Studiologic.  

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

On 2/10/2023 at 7:31 PM, AnotherScott said:

Note the second example: It says you could, for example, play two internal sounds on one half of the keyboard (piano and strings), while playing two external MIDI sounds (zones, plural) on the other half. So... all four sounds (two internal, two external) simultaneously,

I actually did mange to play the two "hidden parts" from the Numa one evening, not long after I got it. I'm not recomending this, or claiming it is safe. But if memory serves, I ran a midi cable from out to in, and It worked, and I could play all 4 parts. This might  be easy and safe with something like the MIDIhub:

https://reverb.com/item/64090072-blokas-midihub-desktop-programmable-midi-interface-processor

It has endless routing, cloning, and remapping capablities. 

I loaned the board to my daughter for several years, and recently got it back, so I think I'll update it. I don't gig and I have a tonewheel and a selection of Fatar actions that I like alot better than the....I forget the model....action on the Numa...though for organ it's not bad. Overall I found the organ thin compared to other options....I was trying "setBfree" on a Zynthian v4 kit last night....to my ears it sounded fantastic, but I haven't spent lots of time with it. 

My older Leslie amp is down, now I'm using a 760....it's good but not quite so primal :)  I'm slowly getting functional on the pedals... I've watched some good pedal videos from the church guys. My RT-3 has 32 notes. Some day I will find a midi version or add midi to mine. 

Not bad....but let's see it with your hands on the keys ;) To be fair, they all cheat like this whenever possible. 

and thanks Fatar/Studiologic for all the great boards and beds you have given us :) I would not trade my SL-880, and I love both the TP8s and TP9s actions also. 

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

19 hours ago, uhoh7 said:

** snip **

and thanks Fatar/Studiologic for all the great boards and beds you have given us :) I would not trade my SL-880, and I love both the TP8s and TP9s actions also. 

Hi uhoh7, I see that you have Nektar T4, how's the key action compared to TP9/P used in NC2X?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Ooh watch out. Near as I can tell, the sustain stops working when rotary is selected as the effect on non-organ sounds. This is probably a compromise they had to choose to make the sustain pedal function as a fast/slow switch on the rotary. 

Got some programming to do…easy fix though. The tremolo options are pretty sweet. 
Really like the new display while moving sliders. Makes it much easier to tell what you’re adjusting. Also a nice new display of five or six patches by clicking the scroll knob, then turning. 

Actually forgot how dang fun and decent sounding the engines are…what’s old is new again with fresh ears.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, modalmojo said:

Hi uhoh7, I see that you have Nektar T4, how's the key action compared to TP9/P used in NC2X?  Thanks!

No comparison, I'm afraid. The Nektar T4 and T6 are unlikely sleepers, with what appears to be a custom built Chinese action. It is excellent, with a deep aftertouch, and a number of curves. The downside, as controllers is they are geared to DAWs...it appears to me. I have not spent huge time in configuration, so anything I say here could be wrong. There is plenty of Layers if you go USB to a laptop and use their software. What I don't see is the nice layers of say, an SL-880, which has four totally independent 5-pin layers with their own curves...and two midi outs. Ah, the golden 90's. That TP-10 action is bullet proof with lots of metal parts, compared to the newer fancy ones. Graded? Maybe not, but you will often hear players pine for the TP10. It's a little heavier than my upright U1 clone, but I digress...

The T4 does not offer a way to send sysex to say a JV1010 directly, though a MIDI hub could do a conversion I think. I just use the T4 as a daily driver for my big soft living room chair, with a micropiano and proteus one, and sometimes a big iPad, or for simple single channel into hardware. It might be the best cheap synth action available. It's totally different than the other Necktar boards. The old P4 had T9s I think, which is very nice, but the cheapest Nektars are just what your expect for so little money. The nice T4 is just a bit more $$$, and bigger.  

Please, any other T4 users check me here. If only the Roland A-series had the T4 action...that would be nice...but still just two layers I think. WTF?

The Numa action is not bad...I found the springs stiff for my taste, especially with velosensitivity on, but certainly not unusable. 

• Like 1

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

My worthless opinion is that for the brief time I owned a Compact 2x I absolutely loved the action. And Aftertouch, at that price? Yes, please!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

16 minutes ago, dickiefunk said:

How is the keybed of the 2x for piano playing? My main stage piano is a Yamaha CP88 which I love.

I was gonna ask the same question. I also have a CP88 that I love but it's too heavy for occasional jams and was wondering if I should downgrade to a more portable alternative such as CP73, Numa X 73. Or keep the CP88 and just buy something very cheap in addition, hence Numa Compact 2 or 2X. BTW, any other difference between the 2 and 2x besides the added organ engine?