Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

2 hours ago, dickiefunk said:

How is the keybed of the 2x for piano playing? My main stage piano is a Yamaha CP88 which I love.

Nothing remotely close to a CP88.

If you're going to compare it to other non-hammer boards, though, I'd put it about middle of the pack. Better than Juno DS 61/VR09, Korg Kross 61, Yamaha MX49/61 (which are comparably priced). Not as good as Yamaha YC61, Vox Continental, Kurzweil PC4-7, Casio CT-S1/CT-S500, which (apart from the Casio) are in a different price range.

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

any other difference between the 2 and 2x besides the added organ engine?

There's a VA synth engine, and the 9 sliders also function as programmable MIDI CC sources and as Synth function sliders. (To me, the biggest limitation of the VA synth engine, though, is that there's no mono mode, no portamento, so it's somewhat restrictive for lead playing.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 2/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, uhoh7 said:

No comparison, I'm afraid. The Nektar T4 and T6 are unlikely sleepers, with what appears to be a custom built Chinese action. It is excellent, with a deep aftertouch, and a number of curves. The downside, as controllers is they are geared to DAWs...it appears to me. I have not spent huge time in configuration, so anything I say here could be wrong. There is plenty of Layers if you go USB to a laptop and use their software. What I don't see is the nice layers of say, an SL-880, which has four totally independent 5-pin layers with their own curves...and two midi outs. Ah, the golden 90's. That TP-10 action is bullet proof with lots of metal parts, compared to the newer fancy ones. Graded? Maybe not, but you will often hear players pine for the TP10. It's a little heavier than my upright U1 clone, but I digress...

The T4 does not offer a way to send sysex to say a JV1010 directly, though a MIDI hub could do a conversion I think. I just use the T4 as a daily driver for my big soft living room chair, with a micropiano and proteus one, and sometimes a big iPad, or for simple single channel into hardware. It might be the best cheap synth action available. It's totally different than the other Necktar boards. The old P4 had T9s I think, which is very nice, but the cheapest Nektars are just what your expect for so little money. The nice T4 is just a bit more $$$, and bigger.  

Please, any other T4 users check me here. If only the Roland A-series had the T4 action...that would be nice...but still just two layers I think. WTF?

The Numa action is not bad...I found the springs stiff for my taste, especially with velosensitivity on, but certainly not unusable. 

Hi uhoh7,

Thanks so much for the info, you got me interested in a Nektar T6!  I'm looking to buy a lightweight (less than 20lbs) midi controller for playing piano, is the Nektar T action 'better' (e.g. less fatigue) than Numa Compact in this regard? 

I have a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard which has TP/9S, so I'm familiar with this keybed.  Though Numa Compact uses TP/9P, I find T/9S a bit stiff to my taste.  I couldn't find a Numa Compact in my area to try on the keybed, so if TP/9P is somewhat stiff as you said, I might want to consider Nektar T6 for piano sound.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:40 AM, AnotherScott said:

If you're going to compare it to other non-hammer boards, though, I'd put it about middle of the pack. Better than Juno DS 61/VR09, Korg Kross 61, Yamaha MX49/61 (which are comparably priced). Not as good as Yamaha YC61, Vox Continental, Kurzweil PC4-7, Casio CT-S1/CT-S500, which (apart from the Casio) are in a different price range.

Having both, I think the numa action (for piano) is a bit better than the Casio, but the built-in piano Casio sound is better.  Maybe i'm weird, though.  ;)

9 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Having both, I think the numa action (for piano) is a bit better than the Casio, but the built-in piano Casio sound is better.  Maybe i'm weird, though.  ;)

The Numa seems to push back more than the Casio. Or maybe its an illusion (I haven't played them side by side), maybe it's about velocity mapping or something, but for whatever reason, I can play piano more comfortably from the Casio action than the Numa action. Maybe without realizing it, it's related to the Casio having a better piano sound as you mentioned... or, maybe at least part of the reason you say Casio piano sound is better is because it plays better from its action!

There was another conversation here recently about how sometimes a board with its power off can seem to have lackluster keys, but they seem much better once you power it up, because the sounds are programmed to respond well to that action. So I think that can complicate discussions about what action is better than which, since you can have a different reaction to a board's feel if you make that eval in the abstract, vs. when playing its sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Firmware 2.0 has fixed the midi bug I mentioned here last April (when attempting to send value 127 from mod CC1 it was also sending it on CC33, and when attempting to send value 127 from expression CC11 it was also sending it on CC43).

The effects sound better too. Nice firmware update, well done Studiologic.

Does anyone know a way to disable or reassign the Y axis (brightness) of stick 2, without preventing its X axis being used for mod CC1 ?  I often just want to use the stick 2 X axis for mod wheel, but if I accidentally let it move slightly up or down, the brightness of the other synth I am controlling gets stuck at the midpoint, which can be a very noticeable change if the patch originally had a very low or high brightness. The Zone Edit menu only seems to allow stick 2 to be turned on or off, why not let us decide which CC (or none) that we want the Y axis to send?

On 2/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, modalmojo said:

Hi uhoh7,

Thanks so much for the info, you got me interested in a Nektar T6!  I'm looking to buy a lightweight (less than 20lbs) midi controller for playing piano, is the Nektar T action 'better' (e.g. less fatigue) than Numa Compact in this regard? 

I have a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard which has TP/9S, so I'm familiar with this keybed.  Though Numa Compact uses TP/9P, I find T/9S a bit stiff to my taste.  I couldn't find a Numa Compact in my area to try on the keybed, so if TP/9P is somewhat stiff as you said, I might want to consider Nektar T6 for piano sound.

For me, yes. But the NUMA is not terrible. For piano, light weight, in my collection, I have a SL61 MKII which I'd prefer to both. It has a nice synth action with the harder "bakelite" style glaze on the keys. Both the Numa and Nektar have a plastic feel. But for that weight they are both ahead of the alternatives I know.

But for the same money as Numa, at 25lbs you can have the "real thing":

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL73Studio--studiologic-sl73-studio-keyboard-controller-with-hammer-action

But the Numa is a wonder, I've carried it on a bike, it will run off small battery packs, the little speakers are actually OK for practice, 88 keys, drawbars, and affordable. I don't know why they don't make a 61 or 73, it would sell.  I would only suggest they choose a slighlty lighter spring...my hammond is lighter..but I think it's to make them "feel heavier". 

• Like 1

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble with the numa compact 2x, and I was hoping I could find some help here.

I downloaded numa manager on a mac, but when I connect the c2x through usb, the numa manager doesn't recognize it. The mac's audio midi setup recognizes it no problem, so I can use it as a controller, but I can't update the firmware (currently running version 1.04), so I'm missing out on some fixes and new sounds.

I have used different cables and different usb ports, I have followed the connection instructions to the T, and nothing seems to help. Has anyone encountered this problem? Have you found a way around to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

On 3/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, uhoh7 said:

Just check that you get on with the TP100 action in the SL73. On paper it's a great board - but I couldn't connect with the action at all.

Cheers, Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm controlling some Ipad instruments in Keystage from my NC2x via USB.

For some reason the Midi Monitor in Keystage shows CC messages for the sliders/exp pedal/PB/MW, but nothing for the NC2x's FX1/FX2/Reverb dials (or for the organ buttons like modulation/percussion).

I'm probably doing something dumb, but shouldn't the NC2X send CCs for those other controls as well? 

Anyone know if there's some NC2X setting that would control this? Thanks

4 hours ago, Dave Number Four said:

I'm controlling some Ipad instruments in Keystage from my NC2x via USB.

For some reason the Midi Monitor in Keystage shows CC messages for the sliders/exp pedal/PB/MW, but nothing for the NC2x's FX1/FX2/Reverb dials (or for the organ buttons like modulation/percussion).

I'm probably doing something dumb, but shouldn't the NC2X send CCs for those other controls as well? 

Anyone know if there's some NC2X setting that would control this? Thanks

not in front of it at the moment, but i seem to remember going through the same thing. i.e.  no CC's for those buttons.  my memory is shot, so don't hold me to it. ;)

21 minutes ago, Dave Number Four said:

Thanks D. Gauss. I just played with it more, and even though the CC messages for the other buttons and knobs still don't show up in the midi monitor, I can still map them from inside, say, vb3m using the built in midi learn. So good enough for now.

That's weird. If it's not sending MIDI, you would not be able to map them within VB3m. If they ARE sending MIDI, you should see it reflected in the MIDI Monitor. Maybe you have the MIDI Monitor set to filter out some messages?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone used the Studioligic soft case to carry the Numa Compact as a backpack? Is it comfortable enough? I’m considering the NC2X with the soft-case to go to rehearsals by foot (as an alternative to my Numa X Piano 73 which I can only transport with a car but that’s been rather difficult as of late). I’ll be having a 20-30 minute walk uphill from my home and I’m worried the Numa and the bag are too long and may touch against my legs and make that “hike” a nightmare. Also, although it’s lightweight, it’s still 7kg + 2kg and that can already be on the verge of being heavy for long walks. Which may sway me into ultra-lightweight 61-key solutions such as the Korg Kross 2 or the Yamaha CK61. Any advice?

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I’ll be having a 20-30 minute walk uphill from my home and I’m worried the Numa and the bag are too long and may touch against my legs and make that “hike” a nightmare. Also, although it’s lightweight, it’s still 7kg + 2kg and that can already be on the verge of being heavy for long walks. 

I think that how tall you are could make a difference in how well you could handle the height.

Personally, I don't think that I could do it regardless, but we're all different in how strong/old/fit we are. Maybe you could do a trial run with an appropriately weighted backpack to see if a walk of this route carrying that much weight in a backpack is feasible even without the height issue. Even better if you have access to a treadmill you can use to simulate this. If 10 minutes in you decide it's too much, it would be nice to be able to just stop the treadmill and be in some comfortable space, rather than finding yourself stuck somewhere "in between" with no easy way to get anywhere. If you're going to do the actual walk, I'd fill the backpack with something you don't care about, so if you're pooped, you can ditch the backpack contents and not have to worry about having to carry the weight back!

Another 88 possibility that is even lighter than the Numa (by 1.1 kg) is the Korg Liano, which similarly has a USB audio interface for iPad integration, but is far less capable in terms of its internal sounds, and any multi-sound zoning would have to be done on the iPad side. Also it uses only a headphone jack instead of 1/4" outputs. Also, no aftertouch, no MIDI sliders, no 5-pin MIDI, no MIDI patch recall directly from the board (you'd use the iPad's screen for patch selection). And I don't know whether there's a backpackable bag available for it, and what that might weigh if there is one (which could alter the weight comparison). I'm curious to play one to see what it's action is like, though. I've read some positive comments.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Has anyone used the Studioligic soft case to carry the Numa Compact as a backpack? Is it comfortable enough? I’m considering the NC2X with the soft-case to go to rehearsals by foot (as an alternative to my Numa X Piano 73 which I can only transport with a car but that’s been rather difficult as of late). I’ll be having a 20-30 minute walk uphill from my home and I’m worried the Numa and the bag are too long and may touch against my legs and make that “hike” a nightmare. Also, although it’s lightweight, it’s still 7kg + 2kg and that can already be on the verge of being heavy for long walks. Which may sway me into ultra-lightweight 61-key solutions such as the Korg Kross 2 or the Yamaha CK61. Any advice?

I've used it as a backpack just for regular load in/out with other gear items in my hands. Seemed comfortable and didn't hit my legs at all, but it was just a short walk. I'm 5'11.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Would a trolley/cart be more feasible?

Unfortunately not. Where I live the sidewalks are terrible and I also pass through a non-paved park too. Your hint about high inertia with these boards is good, I didn’t think about that but I can imagine the effect on the shoulder straps. I think I’m seriously leaning towards a Kross 2 or MX61 or even MX49 since the band I play in is mostly electronic sound oriented and even where there’s a piano needed, it’s not about any 88 key virtuoso fireworks 😀

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, loncho said:

Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble with the numa compact 2x, and I was hoping I could find some help here.

I downloaded numa manager on a mac, but when I connect the c2x through usb, the numa manager doesn't recognize it. The mac's audio midi setup recognizes it no problem, so I can use it as a controller, but I can't update the firmware (currently running version 1.04), so I'm missing out on some fixes and new sounds.

I have used different cables and different usb ports, I have followed the connection instructions to the T, and nothing seems to help. Has anyone encountered this problem? Have you found a way around to make it work?

same problem here... Can anyone confirm this app is working properly with Sonoma?

I tried another Mac running Mojave, same problem, and I also tried different USB cables. I tried the Firmware Update procedure, but the Numa display kept saying Transmission Error. A studiologic Help page said that, if after checking/trying some other things you still get the Transmission Error (which is what happened to me), try updating anyway, selecting the update file with Numa Manager's Open command... but no Open command appeared. But then I tried it again in the Mac's Safe mode, and while that didn't eliminate the Transmission Error, it did allow the Numa Manager to display the Open command, and I was able to successfully complete the update and perform the other functions of the app. 

• Like 1