Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80's cover band - song ideas

Justin Havu

I'm putting together a 3-piece trio with a couple friends of mine, so it'll be keys, bass, and drums. We want to focus on 80s pop/rock but we'll be branching out and doing some 70s and 90s, and it will be anti-"Mustang Sally" and anything Lynyrd Skynyrd... but we're not looking to play in bars anyway, and we'll probably shoot for a 2 hour show, but our intention is to have enough material where we can play a longer show, and also rotate the set(s). As far as material, we have ballads covered top to bottom, what we're looking for is more up-tempo stuff. The bass player is female and sings alto, I sing low tenor but I'm also comfortable going up into falsetto. We will definitely be doing some transposing to fit our respective vocal ranges. (sorry in advance. :blush: )

With that in mind, These are some of the more uptempo tunes we already know, and I'm looking to my fellow forumites for any other ideas we can play with.

Take On Me

Cars

Maneater

I Can't Go For That

Kiss On My List

Don't You Forget About Me

I Melt With You

Tainted Love

Shake It Up

Hello Again

Whip It

She Drives Me Crazy

Boys of Summer

Always Something There to Remind Me

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you do lots of layering with what you use live?

If so, The Final Countdown is nice.

Also maybe Broken Wings (Mr. Mister).

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

We've got Broken Wings in the list. Forgot about that. lol (We can also pull off Kyrie.)

I haven't built the rig yet, but I'll probably be using a triple-board setup (Motif-XS6, DX7, and Deepmind12) which should cover most of my needs. I also have MainStage as an option.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Sweet dreams

Come on Eileen

Why me

Sounds like a melody

Save a prayer

Don't you want me

You spin me round

Shout

Down under

Electricity

Don't go

When doves cry

She drives me crazy

Ain't nobody

Little lies

Time after time

A forest

Tainted Love

Two princess

I was a child and teenager at 80's. Great decade for music and not only...

There are too many songs i can write...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08R_vtIFj8

Check this video in 47:16. "A Forest" cover by my teacher's dark wave duo.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

A few tunes off the top of my head:

'Til Tuesday--"Voices Carry"

Nena--"99 Luftballons"

Suzanne Vega--"Tom's Diner"

I dig the trio format as well. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just can't get enough - Depeche Mode

Your Love - Outfield

Borderline - Madonna (I did this as a cover years ago, more rock then then the original synth-pop and people dug it a lot - I did they synth part only on piano)

Living on a Prayer

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

The Boys of Summer

Hold Me Now

The Reflex

Head Over Heels

Sunglasses at Night

Darkside

I Want a New Drug

Separate Ways

Take Me Home

Drive

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Well, always good to go with something dance-able. So most of my song ideas for bands don't work LOL!

You already have some of the ones I've played. Thinking back to what worked in the late 80s...hmmm

Rick Springfield - Jesse's girl

Inxs - What U Need, Don't Change

Shout (yeah, not an 80s tune but the 80s had a lot of links to the 50s! people loved this)

Foreigner - Waiting for a girl like you (slow dance tune)

Styx - Too much time on my hands

Nightranger - Don't tell me you love me (ok, no dancing, just balls-out fun)

Journey (any number of tunes...we played Escape, Separate Ways, Who's Crying Now)

Outfield - Say It Isn't So

U2 (early) - New Years Day, Gloria, I will Follow etc etc

Huey Lewis - We played Jacob's Ladder, any of a bunch of tunes

J. Geils - Freeze Frame, Centerfold

(forgot the band) - Mexican Radio

Peter Murphy - Cuts U Up (great song, a bit obscure but really fun and easy to play)

REM - superman, driver 8, End of the world as we know it

Echo and the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar

The Cure - bunch of tunes

I never played in a "pop 80s band" if it isn't obvious. One was more of a rock deal with stuff from everywhere, then I played in a fraternity-circuit band in 1989 or so and that's where we did the more "alternative" stuff like Peter Murphy, Cure etc

I kind of envy you, i'm in a very solid and well-oiled band (5 years running) but it's 70s-only (with a very few exceptions) because our singer wants that niche. I'm ready to move on to the 80s and 90s!

Just a bit of experience as a club DJ. The club I'm involved with has done 80s nights in the past with varying degrees of success. The last one was expanded into an 80s/90s night, and went much better. In order to keep the dance floor active, my playlist quickly rotated mostly into the 90s - which is not all that surprising considering that the 80s are receding further and further into the distance.

As a three piece, you are going to have to be fairly selective anyway, but your options will be greater if you include the 90s.

Some of my ideas are already listed above, these were the best received (great response) in my old 80s band

Just What I Needed

(and another Cars song - many to choose from)

Rebel Yell

White Wedding/Dancing With Myself/?

Don't Change

I Will Follow/Sunday Bloody Sunday

Pump It Up

Call Me

We didn't like the more poppy/electronic 80s new wave stuff - we avoided it and played staple guitar only tunes and I added Keys. so if you're going that way (nothing wrong with that), i won't be best to help

I'm more a big hair 80s guy than the new wave era.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes (1981)

Into the groove - Madonna

Holiday - Madonna

Billie Jean - MJ

The way you make me feel - MJ

Dr Beat - Miami Sound Machine

You could do Kiss if you're prepared to sample the guitar lick at the front end and take a synth solo.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

We've got Broken Wings in the list. Forgot about that. lol (We can also pull off Kyrie.)

I haven't built the rig yet, but I'll probably be using a triple-board setup (Motif-XS6, DX7, and Deepmind12) which should cover most of my needs. I also have MainStage as an option.

Sounds like a good deal. :)

A few more I thought of:

> Ain't Nothin' Breaking My Stride - Matthew Wilder

> Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson (if you can handle the lyrics :laugh:)

> Thriller - Michael Jackson

If you REALLY want a keyboard-centric one, how about the Chariots of Fire theme? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

MJ stuff is always fun to play. Human Nature and Man In the Mirror are already in our list.

Also thought about Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz. Great tune!

Hardware

Software

Duran Duran - Rio

Howard Jones - Equality

Human League - Don't You Want Me

Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out

Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Thompson Twins - Doctor Doctor

TOTO - Georgy Porgy

YELLO - Oh Yeah

Ive always liked:

The System You Are In My System

Jane Child Dont Wanna Fall In Love

Nu Shooz I Cant Wait

Cherelle I Didnt Mean to Turn You On

Robert Palmer famously covered The System and Cherelle. He had a great run of 80s hits.

Will your bass player double on synth?

I Want a New Drug

Also Heart of Rock And Roll. Huey goes over.

Peter Murphy - Cuts U Up (great song, a bit obscure but really fun and easy to play)

I used to do that one. Good song.

(forgot the band) - Mexican Radio

Wall of Voodoo (Stan Ridgeway was the singer)

He did another really good one with Stewart Copeland called Don't Box Me In from Francis Ford Coppola's Rumblefish.

[video:youtube]

ReFlex - The Politics of Dancing

I see your ReFlex and raise you an Icicle Works - Whisper To A Scream and a Talk Talk - It's My Life.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For your female vocalist:

Nu Shooz - Point Of No Return

Expose - Point Of No Return

Expose - Come Go With Me

Pebbles - Mercedes Boy

Madonna - Live To tell - you'll love playing the keys to this.

Blondie - The Tide Is High

Basia - Time And Tide

Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls

Sheila E. - The Glamorous Life

Roxette - It Must Have Been Love

Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield

Janet Jackson - When I Think Of You - my old female bassist used to sing this. It'll really showcase her.

Miami Sound Machine - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Stevie Nicks - Stand Back

Company B - Full Circle

Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

Jody Watley - I'm Looking For A New Love

Klymaxx - Meeting In The Ladies Room

Klymaxx - The Men All Pause

Stacy Lattisaw - Nail It To The Wall

^^^ Always dug that last one - the keyboards will keep you busy:

[video:youtube]

These are all songs I used to play - they were just flowing out of me! http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

One thing I learned playing in an 80s tribute for a couple decades after being a child of the 80s is that songs that were popular in the 80s and songs that were good 80s songs don't necessarily make good modern day 80s tribute songs for the clubs. Also, many of the songs posted in here are 70s.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

One thing I learned playing in an 80s tribute for a couple decades after being a child of the 80s is that songs that were popular in the 80s and songs that were good 80s songs don't necessarily make good modern day 80s tribute songs for the clubs. Also, many of the songs posted in here are 70s.

The dance ones still hold up well. I agree with you when it comes to, say, Sade songs. Very popular at the time, kind of a snooze now.

I can't offer anything that hasn't already been suggested.

You might want to consider a guitar player though, as not having one could be a big limitation. For example, I don't consider "Boys of Summer" a synth tune, as much as I consider it a guitar tune.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Archived