Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80's cover band - song ideas

Justin Havu

One thing I learned playing in an 80s tribute for a couple decades after being a child of the 80s is that songs that were popular in the 80s and songs that were good 80s songs don't necessarily make good modern day 80s tribute songs for the clubs. Also, many of the songs posted in here are 70s.

I confess. I had some songs that were actually late 70s. they remind me of 80s new wave rock but true - they precede the demarcation. e.g. Cars is very 80s but I recommended their biggest hit from their first album which was pre-80s. Could easily replace with something off Heartbeat City which was '84. Might even pick a HBC song that doesn't require guitar. All their early work needs guitar.

I was in an 80s new wave band in the 80s, we played them and these were songs that worked best at that time. you'd know better about transference to 2017 crowd. we didnt' like the genre transition to synth-pop so we didn't play the ones i think OP is really looking for.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got together yesterday to try a bunch of stuff. Some of the tunes we've added so far...

Karma Chameleon

I'm Feeling Fascination

Walking On Sunshine

She Drives Me Crazy

Power of Love (Not worried about playing guitar parts on keys, the Motif-XS has some very passable overdriven guitar patches. Apologies in advance. :blush: )

Will your bass player double on synth?

We talked about that yesterday and she's open to that idea. She's also a great keyboardist.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Synthaholic's list reminds me of some other keyboard guilty pleasures:

The Jets:

Crush on You

Curiosity

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Id also suggest putting together medleys of a bunch of popular songs that you would rather not play in their entireties. Does anyone really want to play all of Everybody Wang Chung Tonight? For example. :P

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

That song doesn't work anyway, so if you're doing a medley, don't include that one.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We won't be including that anyway. I was never a fan of that tune.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Id also suggest putting together medleys of a bunch of popular songs that you would rather not play in their entireties.

One of my strengths is segueing songs together. I started building a medley a couple of weeks ago of overplayed songs that bore musicians to death yet fills the dance floor. Basically a line from a verse or chorus of each song over a similar rhythm, everything from Mony Mony to Louie Louie to Old Time RnR to Gimme 3 steps to Money for Nothing. Nothing is sacred.

And Wang Chung is not in there for a REASON.

Following is the complete songlist of my old 80s band (that is still together and successful). It includes some songs that were added after I left, and some songs that were dropped after I left. It's a 5 pc with multiple singers, so includes guitar oriented songs and both male and female vocals.

Always in the list

Rotated Frequently

Rotated occasionally

Wasn't on the list when I was in the band

(The) Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson

1999 - Prince

867-5309 Jenny - Tommy Tutone

99 Red Balloons - Nena

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

Anyway You Want It - Journey

Authority Song - John Cougar Mellencamp

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

Call Me - Blondie

Centerfold - J Geils Band

Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

Dancin with Myself - Billy Idol

Dont Stop Believing - Journey

Dont You Forget About Me - Simple Minds

Dont You Want Me Baby - Human League

Down Under - Men At Work

Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Guns N Roses

Faith - George Michael

Fight for Your Right - The Beastie Boys

Footloose - Kenny Loggins

Freeze Frame - J. Geils Band

Funkytown - Pseudo Echo

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Goodbye to You - Scandal

Hands to Yourself - Georgia Satellites

Heartbreaker - Pat Benetar

Hit Me with Your Best Shot - Pat Benetar

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

Hurt So Good - John Cougar Mellencamp

I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett

I Love Rock n Roll - Joan Jett

I Ran - Flock of Seagulls

I Think Were Alone Now - Tiffany

I Wanna Dance w/ Somebody - Whitney Houston

Into the Groove - Madonna

Jessies Girl - Rick Springfield

Jump - Van Halen

Just Like Heaven - The Cure

Kids in America - Kim Wyld

KISS - Prince

Lets Go Crazy - Prince

Like a Virgin - Madonna

Livin on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

Love Shack - B-52s

Material Girl - Madonna

Melt With You - Modern English

Mickey - Toni Basil

Mony Mony - Billy Idol

My Sharona - The Knack

New Girl Now - Honeymoon Suite

New Sensation - INXS

Nothin But A Good Time - Poison

Obsession - Annimotion

On the Dark Side - Beaver Brown

Once Bitten Twice Shy - Great White

One Way or Another - Blondie

Our Lips Are Sealed - Go Gos

Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leopard

Purple Rain - Prince

Rebel Yell - Billie Idol

Roam - B-52s

ROCK in the USA - John Mellencamp

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

Secrets That You Keep - The Romantics

Separate Ways - Journey

Shake it Up - The Cars

Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash

Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams

Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart

Sweet Child of Mine - Guns n Roses

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Take Me Home Tonight - Eddie Money

Take On Me - A-Ha

Talk Dirty to Me - Poison

The Warrior - Patty Smyth

Vacation - Go Gos

Venus - Bananarama

Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangles

Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves

Wanted: Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

We Got the Beat - Go Gos

What I Like About You - The Romantics

Who Can it Be Now? - Men At Work

Wild West - The Escape Club

Workin for the Weekend - Loverboy

You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oates

You Might Think - The Cars

You Shook Me (All Night Long) - AC/DC

Sorted alphabetical order by song. Some songs were in the set list every night, others only got rotated in occasionally. "every night" songs were usually stuff like Let's Go Crazy, Footloose, the Madonna stuff, Jenny, Jessie's Girl, I Love Rock n Roll, Summer of 69, Walk Like an Egyptian, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Interesting list Dan - especially because it doesn't includes songs from the 80s like Straight Up and I Want Your Sex that work so well for me as a DJ.

But then again I'm not dressed in costume up there :D and most of my home club grew up in the 90s. The stuff that works the best is from the latter part of the decade, and points forward.

Pour Some Sugar On Me always works though - a classic for sure.

Interesting list Dan - especially because it doesn't includes songs from the 80s like Straight Up and I Want Your Sex that work so well for me as a DJ.

But then again I'm not dressed in costume up there :D and most of my home club grew up in the 90s. The stuff that works the best is from the latter part of the decade, and points forward.

Pour Some Sugar On Me always works though - a classic for sure.

I do "I want your sex" with another band currently and it goes over well, not sure why we never added it. I had pitched Paula Abdul at one point and was met with mediocre response from the rest of the band so we never added it.

Dan

Yeah I don't want to recommend anything from my experience because the age group of my room is so young, but what works best is stuff that's vaguely in the tempo range of their music today - which is practically all under 100bpm. Pour Some Sugar is 85, Straight Up is 95, I Want Your Sex is 99... perfect.

Could You Be Loved is another great track. Marley is worshipped by these guys - and me too for that matter :) Release date of 1980 brings it barely under the wire.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7muPjevik

I wanted to hashtag it #ListSoWhite. There's a lot of great 80s dance music from Black groups:

No Parking On The Dance Floor - Midnight Star

Sexomatic - Barkays

Word Up - Cameo

You Dropped A Bomb On Me - Gap Band

Super Freak - Rick James

Give It To Me Baby - Rick James

Let It Whip - Dazz Band

My Prerogative - Bobby Brown

Oh Sheila - Ready For the World

Jungle Love - The Time

Get Down On It - Kool & The Gang

Many more.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yeah I don't want to recommend anything from my experience because the age group of my room is so young, but what works best is stuff that's vaguely in the tempo range of their music today - which is practically all under 100bpm. Pour Some Sugar is 85, Straight Up is 95, I Want Your Sex is 99... perfect.

Interesting observation. I never would have considered that perspective.

There is something else, too, and I'm not sure I know what it is, but: my daughter knows within 3 notes that a song is old and she doesn't like it. She is 9. I always ask, after her "yicch!" how she knew so fast, and she always just says something like, "because that's awful." I have to think there is a "sound" to the production--not any instrument, not any style, but literally a tell-tale ambient sonic fingerprint on the recordings themselves--that signal to her "old" and "yicch."

Do you have any theories about that?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I must be doing something right. My 12 yr old daughter thinks older music is better than modern music.

Dan

I wanted to hashtag it #ListSoWhite.

If I'm DJing an 80s night, it's gonna be a LOT of hip-hop ;) along with healthy doses of Michael, Whitney and Janet - as well as things like Prince's Kiss that don't work well for bands.

But Bobby Brown/New Edition? Oh yeah :)

I used to do a lot more of that in a previous band including many of the songs listed by Bobby Brown, the time, etc. Part of it is just carving out your niche which can be dependent on the local scene. When we first started, the band was decidedly 80s pop (more bubble gum) image. At that time, there was a band called Metal Studz that was doing more of the guitar focused hair band stuff, and another band called Dirty Muggs that wasn't strictly 80s, but did a lot of the more Bel Biv Devoe, Bobby Brown, etc kind of stuff. So we focused on our own space, look, style, etc that was different from those other bands. Over time, we started adding more of the guitar/hair band stuff. Metal Studz went by the wayside and more recently re-emerged as Top Gunz. Dirty Muggs is still going strong but added a female singer and expanded the repertoire a bit.

Dan

Jane Child Dont Wanna Fall In Love

How 'bout that weird-ass chord run. That thing gave me nightmares.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I must be doing something right. My 12 yr old daughter thinks older music is better than modern music.

Mine too !! Very surprised but happy

My 11-year-old likes "my" music more than current pop. The 9-year-old...total pop snob.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Mine too !! Very surprised but happy

My 11-year-old likes "my" music more than current pop. The 9-year-old...total pop snob.

My 9-yr old gravitates toward hip hop

Back on topic, I posted the earlier list since they are still playing and successful and I played with them as recently as last summer even though I left the band about 5 years ago. Point being, I felt like it would be relevant to today's crowd.

However, I did play in a different 80s band prior to that, and also played a lot of 80s in my electronic duo before that. I hadn't originally posted because that was 15 or more years ago, so not sure if it would still apply.

That said, here are some others from those projects:

Der Komissar - After the Fire/Falco

Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order

Rio - Duran Duran (I played sax -wouldn't do it without real sax)

Is There Something I Should Know -Duran Duran

What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy) - Information Society

Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House

Weird Science - Oingo Boingo

Our House - Madness

True - Spandeau Ballet

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic - Police

Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics

Also, in my last 80s band, one Halloween we learned Thriller, Somebody's Watching Me, and Ghostbusters. Thriller was difficult and we only did it a few Halloweens. Ghostbusters was just kind of meh. Surprisingly, Somebody's Watching Me went over well year round. We eventually dropped it, though.

Dan

NOTE: I went back and color coded the earlier list to add context.

Dan

Archived