Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboarder?

Tusker

Are you called anything other than a keyboardist, when you perform?

I've always been a keyboardist, pianist or organist. Never been called a synthesist, although that's a label I'd be proud to wear. Musician would be fine too, though when you play like I do .... :roll:

Recently, I was introduced as a keyboarder and I wondered if in some musical culture that is a real thing and I just don't know about it?

Run into any unusual or funny titles? :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A drummer used to refer to me as the keyboards player, since I played more than one. Sounded dumb then, sounds dumb now.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Honestly, there is no easy way to describe a keys player. I am introduced as "Paul, on keys". To most people, a keyboard is something attached to a computer. We need a more macho title. For now, I like "keys player, on keys" etc.

Working solo almost every time I show up to play a party it's "here's the DJ" I do mix in some DJ stuff at parties but still bill myself as a musician who can also throw in some DJ tunes. As long as I get paid it's all good.

Never heard the term Keyboarder, sounds like something to do with Surfing.

I absolutely HATE the term Keyboarder...

Some of my friends will call me that in jest just to get a rise out of me.

I don't know why, but it conjures up an image of an awkward guy with a Casio Portatone.

I prefer "keyboard player", "synth player", etc. Synthesist would be alright, but it sounds a bit dated.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I started on piano, then switched to organ. Now Im the pianist organist ever...........

:facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I'm always introduced as "on keys, dan"

I have a friend who in his band bio says his instrument is "synthesizer". He uses an old XK1 organ, a P120 piano, and a random synth, usually a Yamaha MX type board. When someone says to me they play synthesizer, I picture something with lots of knobs, a big modular system, a stack of va's or analogs. Not a P120!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I love the old days of liner notes when the keyboard player was listed with specific instruments:

Rick Wakeman: Hammond organ, Mellotron, Piano, Moog Synthesizer

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Are you called anything other than a keyboardist...

Run into any unusual or funny titles? :D

From the early 1980s - "board man", though the rural southern pronunciation ended up being "boad mayne"

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Im pretty sure its derogatory. Id be offended.

Almost worse than being called a musicer.

Or... guitarist. A stringster! Twanger! Strummer! ;)

You know, you could turn everything around to introduce the band...

Keyboarder, drummist, singist, guitarer, basser...

"Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to introduce our basser ____________ who has discovered that grooving in low frequencies appeals to his basser instincts."

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

I always thought that "synthesist" was a contrived, phony sounding name.

I disagree. There are synth players that may be great players, but do little more than tweak a synthesizer's presets.

I would say being labeled as a synthesist would be a compliment that (hopefully) reflects skill and originality in sonic sculpting.

Archived