Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Your favorite (old) decade ?

Song80s

This topic starts out typically US centric. Feel free to expand from your country perspective. I suspect 'history' tends to be of interest to us codgers (+50 yrs) so feel free disprove that

In respect to forum rules, I hope to not bump into those forbidden areas, like beer drinking, etc, etc, ;)

-60's

in the US was dominated by social unrest, and various political issues. Marvin Gaye's classic "Whats Going On " illustrates this. There are numerous examples of how

performers/musicians communicated issues with their music. This was very common.

The milder forms of dope/weed was acceptable and available in the US. Smoking weed

and playing in bands was integral. These were great times. If only I could remember them better ;)

You could say it was the decade of the Beatles. The Beatles release their first single, "Love Me Do," in the United Kingdom in 1962.

The first episode of "Star Trek" aired in 1966. BBC broadcasts the very first episode of the iconic television show "Doctor Who."

In the early 60's women wore mini skirts.

The Woodstock music festival takes place in 1969.

ARPANET, the predecessor to the Internet, relays its first communications between UCLA and Stanford.

The 60's ended on a positive note when the first man is landed on the moon .

-70's

Seventies saw massive inflation world wide. Digital Technology is seen for the first time in consumer products including the first calculator, as technology advanced.

The first jumbo-jet, the Boeing 747, makes its debut commercial flight from New York to London.

The first microprocessor, the 4004, is released by Intel. PONG was released.

Space Invaders was released in 1978.

U.S. cable subscription service, HBO, is introduced 1972.

Saturday Night Live, airs for the first time in 1975.

The Apple II computer came out in 1977.

The Atari 800 was introduced in 1979.

Progressive rock created a new generation of bands including Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Pink Floyd. Many other singers and bands also started or strengthened their fan base including The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Queen, Black Sabbath and David Bowie.

Musically, the 70s is unforgettable for some of us keyboardists, with the Moog, ARP, and the the Fender Rhodes became very popular and had mass production.

-80's

cable network MTV (Music Television) is launched.

"The Computer" is named Time Magazine's Man of the Year in 1982.

The first version of Microsoft Windows is released 1985.

A new technology evolved starting as Bulletin boards later to become what we now know as the Internet invented by English physicist Tim Berners and the beginnings of the World Wide Web.

Cellular mobile phone introduction , which were big and heavy and hit and miss for signal strength , but as with the Internet would change our lives .

Michael Jackson releases his second adult solo album, Thriller.

American musician Prince achieved wide fame in the 1980s with '1999' and 'Purple Rain,'

==========================================================

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure I missed some key cultural or other events. Feel free to point that out.

Since I was there, I think the 60's were the big deal for me. If you missed it, well, you can also talk to Dad and Mom about it ;)

[70's Songwriter]

The Beatles composed 236 songs in the 60s.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I'll try to point out some key differences in Brazil, from the top of my head. I was born in 1972 to give context. As far as culture we had access to everything happening in the U.S. and Europe. Technologically behind, unless you brought things from the US and Europe. Big social inequality, so your mileage will vary depending on where you are.

60's

- Birth of Bossanova

- Military coup in 64 - strong censorship in arts and culture.

- Lots of infrastructure development

- Strong growth period

70's

- Bossa nova became MPB - broader style

- Military regime on-going. A lot of censorship, but easing up as time went by.

80's

- the best time for pop & rock. A lot of the bands are still in demand.

- End of military regime in beginning of decade.

- Huge inflation. I think the peak year was 1800% (not a typo). You had no idea what things cost, since they changed so much.

- Tough economically for most folks - required a lot of attention from my dad, but being in a high position in a multinational company and very knowledgeable in finance we cruised through it mostly.

- Expensive to have a phone line. You had to purchase on, for something like a few thousand dollars. Lot of services were government supplied (like telecom) and were crap.

- Still a lot of restriction towards (market reserves). Crappy copy of electronics and computers sold locally.

90s

- Clearing of a lot of import barriers and market protection.

- We finally had access to better electronics good without having to smuggle things in.

- Massive privatization (telecom, utilities)

- I was out of the Brazil this decade, so I can't comment much about living.

- Cable service started.

- Stabilization of inflation in 94.

- Better jobs and more opportunities.

00's

- Good for the country, bad for me.

Ironically, for me was the 80s. I come from a privileged background and had access to a lot of good things. Went to an excellent private school. Every weekend could take my pick as my friends had weekend/summer houses in all the premium spots near Rio. Had people travelling often enough that I could get stuff from Europe and the US. My first synth and band. Tons of friend and interesting acquaintances. Had vip tickets to a lot of premium events.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Late 70's through the 80's for me. My obnoxious roommate moved out in 1980 and I had the apartment to myself... savoring tunes (uninterrupted) from Yes, Genesis, Starcastle, ELP, etc.

Inviting girlfriends over to enjoy dinners outside on the deck. Fine wines. Gourmet cooking. Buying my first synth, joining a few bands. Lots of new tunes to discover.

Ah yes.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

In the '50s I was too young to care. It's a tossup between the '60s or the '70s for me...all told, I'd probably give the nod to the '70s.

The '80s were horrid for me. No way I'd go back to the '80s willingly. The music didn't suit me. I made bad life choices. My job during the earlier part of the decade sucked, though I'll admit that my job in the latter part was better. Divorced in the late '80s. Boo, hiss, yuck, icky-poo! Bad decade.

The '90s got better. The '00s were pretty much level with the '90s. I won't comment on the 'teens, because they aren't over yet.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

In the '50s I was too young to care. It's a tossup between the '60s or the '70s for me...all told, I'd probably give the nod to the '70s.

The '80s were horrid for me. No way I'd go back to the '80s willingly. The music didn't suit me. I made bad life choices. My job during the earlier part of the decade sucked, though I'll admit that my job in the latter part was better. Divorced in the late '80s. Boo, hiss, yuck, icky-poo! Bad decade.

The '90s got better. The '00s were pretty much level with the '90s. I won't comment on the 'teens, because they aren't over yet.

Grey

Often, our choice(s) influences what we went thru in a decade.

Divorces, girls friends, jobs ( good bad) . Difficult to keep them out of the bubble.

My wife, who missed the 50's entirely ( she's younger than me), likes that decade.

A simpler time for sure.

One huge positive for 60's or 70's, California was 'uncrowded ' for us. Little did we know what would happen over the next 20 or 30 yrs.

For example, San Jose still had fruit orchards in the 60's. And into the 70's, I believe.

The state was ideal, you could get around easier. Of course, I am a Northen California person.

Maybe the 405 was always crowded :)

[70's Songwriter]

I'll pick for my decade '65 to '75.

End of the British Invasion, combo organs oh my!

Summer of '67 - Doors, Are You Experienced, Disraeli Gears, Vanilla Fudge

Woodstock era - Santana, Sly, The Band, Who, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull

Southern rock - Allman Brothers, Wet Willie

Little Feat

Prog! - Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Atomic Rooster, early Journey, Kansas

Moe

---

I'm in that range with Matt - '65 to '75, my vote is for that... If I have to pick a decade itself please put me down for the '60's otherwise this range!

I always felt the lead up to in the early 60's set the direction, '60 through '65! I was 6 - 12 years old but watching things loosen up from the drab late 1950's sure was exciting!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Turn of the Century 1900. Th classical music world was popping between tonality and not so tonal tonality ( I hesitate to call it atonality )

I love the merging of tonal and the edge of tonal.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

One huge positive for 60's or 70's, California was 'uncrowded ' for us. Little did we know what would happen over the next 20 or 30 yrs.

For example, San Jose still had fruit orchards in the 60's. And into the 70's, I believe.

The state was ideal, you could get around easier.

You can't limit growth problems to California. When I first moved to the area I live in, there were cows a quarter-mile from my house. Now it's houses. Pretty much every town I've ever lived in--with the exception of the one I was born in, too backwards to grow, not one thing has changed--is unrecognizable to me now. The worst is Chapel Hill, NC. Grotesque. Heartbreaking. They've killed it entirely.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I'll pick for my decade '65 to '75.

End of the British Invasion, combo organs oh my!

Summer of '67 - Doors, Are You Experienced, Disraeli Gears, Vanilla Fudge

Woodstock era - Santana, Sly, The Band, Who, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull

Southern rock - Allman Brothers, Wet Willie

Little Feat

Prog! - Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Atomic Rooster, early Journey, Kansas

....and we're done here. :2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

In the 80's I was in the best physical condition of my life for about 5 years I got to ski every day

then spend summers in Hawaii on the big Island mostly. To this day moving from L.A. to Colorado

and living on my own was the best decision I have ever made for myself.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

The 70s were pretty good. We had Europe '72, some overlap with both Pig and Keith, the great stuff after Blues for Allah. The 80s were good, too, but for different reasons. I really liked when they added Brent to the band, because his playing style really speaks to me. I'm an organ-first keys player. The late 60s were also pretty good, although the band was less psychedelic and more bluesy. But that's what Live/Dead grew out of, which gave us a killer St. Stephen and a far-out Dark Star. The 90s, now. They sucked. Except for 1990 and early-to-mid 1991.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I always felt the lead up to in the early 60's set the direction, '60 through '65! I was 6 - 12 years old but watching things loosen up from the drab late 1950's sure was exciting!

I can add more context to the late '50's and things were loosening up.

Sexual/societal mores were changing in the US.

I point to the movie " A Summer Place"

from 1959

The movie was shocking many at that time. Divorce was unacceptable.

Affairs were not heard about.

Some decades later, this movie and its theme seem tame.

The 1967 Movie " The Graduate " also illustrated a marker on US societal attitudes.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1968/07/27/the-graduate

[70's Songwriter]

For me, the 60s.

I always felt lucky to be born when I was - 1951.

Beatles, Rascals, Zombies. Settling in on piano lessons after trying drums and trumpet. My first band in 65. Discovering beer and pot late in the decade. Exercising some righteous indignation over Vietnam and lack of civil rights. Rock/Pop just exploded in the 60s. Discovered girls. Delighted to find out that being in a band brought contact with girls that wouldn't even talk to me before.

I'm sure most people look back on the decade that they "came of age" with affection. The passage of time tends to fade the bad memories and strengthen the good ones - maybe exaggerate them.

Anyway, the 60s!!! Best music/girls/mind-altering substance !!

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

The state was ideal, you could get around easier.

You can't limit growth problems to California. When I first moved to the area I live in, there were cows a quarter-mile from my house. Now it's houses. Pretty much every town I've ever lived in--with the exception of the one I was born in, too backwards to grow, not one thing has changed--is unrecognizable to me now. The worst is Chapel Hill, NC. Grotesque. Heartbreaking. They've killed it entirely.

Grey

Maybe its easier to remark about areas that have not experienced significant growth/over development etc etc over a few decades.

Have a friend in the neighborhood who originated from Texas back in the 70's. He tells me there are towns in Texas that have not changed much in 30 yrs. He gave me home real estate as an example, where appreciation was ' only ' 10% over +20 years.

[70's Songwriter]

A friend said that part of progressive rock's popularity in the 70s was the surge in smoking weed, which made it much easier for someone to sit through a 20-minute piece of music. I can't come up with a counter-argument to his postulate. That goes double for "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

My 80s involved a huge influx of music from the 20s on up, including a big dose of EG Records and a mass of soundtracks, so I honestly can't pick one era. They're all mashed together, to my ongoing benefit as a musician. I was once asked to play "some Tex Avery music" and pulled it off. I also created "the sound of space" and satisfied a weird stage production. I owe it all to everything I ever heard. :like:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Any time period where Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake & Palmer, and Led Zeppelin are all in their prime is going to rate well in my estimation. That's why I pushed my split-decade back a few years from Moe's--to let them all get started...and sneak in Return To Forever (Romantic Warrior, for sure), plus some prime Weather Report.

Tales From Topographic Oceans never really worked for me. There are segments here and there that are good, but they're widely spaced. If you edited the good parts together and discarded the rest, the album might be one (vinyl) side long. Rick Wakeman does virtually nothing throughout the entire album, whether no one (Anderson?) would let him, or because he was bored and uninspired, I do not know, but without him doing more than some boring pad stuff, the album just never really gets off the ground.

Close To The Edge, on the other hand, at just shy of 20 minutes, keeps me on the edge of my seat to this day. No weed required. That album strikes me smack in the dead-center of my ear-ogenous zone. I can listen to it multiple times and not get bored. Quite the opposite...after the second or third go-round, I start inching towards the nearest musical instrument...

Grey

For music composition and performance, I gotta love the '70s.

For the quality of recorded sound, the 1980s were a huge leap, because we (well, they) stopped mixing for 3-inch transistor radios, and started mixing for strong bass as delivered by either 18 inch subwoofer arrays or at least bassy sounding Walkman headsets.

Now we've cycled back around to listening to music on smartphones with 7mm woofers. Feh.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Sexual/societal mores were changing in the US.

I point to the movie " A Summer Place"

from 1959

The movie was shocking many at that time. Divorce was unacceptable.

Affairs were not heard about.

Some decades later, this movie and its theme seem tame.

The 1967 Movie " The Graduate " also illustrated a marker on US societal attitudes.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1968/07/27/the-graduate

That's not really accurate. In the 1950s, each year 400,000+ Americans got divorced. Now it's 800,000+. Of course the population has more than doubled. People had affairs and premarital sex all the time, though it was probably done with more discretion. "Peyton Place" might have been considered more shocking as it dealt with an incestuous rape and the community's acceptance of the victim. But really, this is about Hollywood taking on more controversial subject matter (less pure entertainment) and showing more sex and violence on the screen to sell tickets. Because you need to include the increased violence into this equation if you're talking about societal mores. Had we become more blood-thirsty in the 1960s? Maybe base, animalistic might be more accurate?

Busch.

I love the late 1950s/early 1960s. Mad Men era. I love the pop art of that time, the pastel colors. Fallout shelters, Telstar, the cars, the vibe. Kerouac and the music. Blue Note Records, 1959, what a year for jazz. Not Elvis and R&R. Not talking about that at all. I'm a little young for this (born 1954), but for some reason I've always been drawn to that time slot. I'm of the boomer, hippie generation but I NEVER listen to rock from the 60s-70s unless I need to for a project. It doesn't do anything for me any more. In my teenage years it was everything. Now, pretty much nothing. I still like Booker T, Motown and 60s R&B but I've hear one too many distorted guitars--I've had my fill.

Busch.

There's a notion that things happened in the 1960s/1970s that had never happened before. To be sure, that's somewhat true but often overstated. Mostly this is a distortion caused by the sheer number of Boomers and a myopic view of history.

Drug use, for one. Hell, when reading Anna Karenina, I was struck by how casually Tolstoy talks about her morphine addiction, as if it was commonplace among people of her status in 19th Century Russia. She has an affair, is divorced, abandons her child for a lover and is a drug addict to boot. And this is considered realistic fiction, hardly risque stuff even in the day.

Nothing new under the sun is more true than not.

Busch.

Archived