Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I feel like the only one who prefers the slow songs

scottasin

Very truly, I've started to realize that most of my favorite songs are and always have been the slowest sappiest song on the record. I remember making a mix CD as a kid (yeah, I'm young) with Desperado as both the first and final track I loved the song so much. The same rings true to this day, and I feel like I'm in a minority amongst musicians (at least at my age). My favorite songs to play are the ones that call for hardly more than a chord every couple of measures, not nearly as much the high energy rockers (which are still great fun don't get me wrong). Let me play behind a chick with an acoustic guitar at 55 bpm and its probably the best I'll ever sound. All of the songs I write are slow ballads. I've never, however, found a whole group of musicians who really want to occupy that lower energy space as much as I do, it seems to exist for most people only to make the high energy sections stand out.

Bonus points if the slow songs are about death and hardship.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[video:youtube]
holy cats, never heard that song, but I HAVE heard the rap song its sampled on, and I always loved the riff. Wild. Love the original! (you won't hear the riff till about the 25 second mark)

When it's slow, it'll take a long time... There just aren't enough stately marches in pop music today. Especially ones with Richard Thompson and Sneaky Pete snaking around each others' lines on the outro. Still love her voice, gone these many years.

I have different thoughts about this. Personally, no, I don't prefer slow songs. When I was a BL picking songs, I DID recognize that there was value playing good slow songs for folks to dance as long as you didn't have too many. I used to do 1 slow song per set, usually either last or second to last of the set.

Maybe a slightly different topic, but I find slow tempos HARDER to play. Space is difficult, if that makes sense. A slow tempo with lots of space amplifies timing errors.

I had this conversation with our beloved brother David (EscapeRocks) how I struggle with "Faithfully". You have to have that singer to piano timing connection at slow tempo.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's all about feel. They aren't harder to play for me and I find it easier to do in a way but everyone's different. I like slow soulful stuff also. It's very easy for me to grasp on to.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The soul band does Etta James "At Last". The horn players step off so it is basically me and the singer - the guitarist will take a solo, but VI-II-V-I is not really in his wheelhouse. I get to riff all over it.

With my rock buddies, we jam The Band's "Caves of Jericho" - a mournful dirge about death and destruction with a touch of workers' populism thrown in. We also jam Garcia's "Sugaree" which always feels more difficult to me with its slow 12/8 groove. I love it. So Scottasin you are not the only one who enjoys a great slow song.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

When it's slow, it'll take a long time... There just aren't enough stately marches in pop music today. Especially ones with Richard Thompson and Sneaky Pete snaking around each others' lines on the outro. Still love her voice, gone these many years.

Ah, yes. Sandy. RIP way too soon. Been listening to her a lot lately, a lot of wonderful stuff I missed out on in my youth. It's never too late to rediscover musical greatness, and I consider her among the female songwriter "big three" along with Joni and Laura.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

The soul band does Etta James "At Last". The horn players step off so it is basically me and the singer

Last year I was in a school reunion band that performs every few years - four guitar players in the band, with three gospel-style backup singers. "At Last" was on the songlist. I wrote out the chart, made copies for everybody, and nailed the string parts. One of the backup singers was singing the song, and she really opened up when she heard my playing. The guitar players just sat that one out so the song was just bass, drums, keys, and singer. Incredible gospel singing - the audience was loving it. It is not often that I get chills while playing a song.

My band is a party rock/funk band so we perform few ballads. We try to make them count ( Melissa - Allman Brothers, Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran, Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore). We often play then the first set at a bar, when people are settling in and not ready to pile on the dance floor. I enjoy them and since I sing lead it is an opportunity to focus more on the vocal nuances. MY last bar gig we played Thinking Out Loud and when we finished we got more applause than for anything we played before it. Ballads can create a connection with the audience in a different way than dance tunes and rockers. And for my band, they present a challenge in maintaining tempo, and dynamics.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Speaking of Sandy Denny, this one is so slow it is difficult to tell if they are keeping a beat at all.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9qLyXmxMcM

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Certain slower songs don't fit in a basic bar band like mine. Even if they did, our band could not cover my favorite Blood Sweat & Tears song because the two people who can play keys are our two horn players:

Also we could not cover my favorite Three Dog Night song because the only singer who can sing as high as Chuck Negron is our female lead singer, and she cannot reach his lowest notes:

In another universe I would love to play both of these. And to have Chuck Negron's voice.

FWIW: I always liked the slower songs too. Perhaps because I've noticed, the faster the tempo the greater the tendency to show off. I've often thought that if I ever did release a solo record, I'd title it:

Don't Rush Me (I'm Playing as Slow as I Can) :laugh:

FWIW: I always liked the slower songs too. Perhaps because I've noticed, the faster the tempo the greater the tendency to show off. I've often thought that if I ever did release a solo record, I'd title it:

Don't Rush Me (I'm Playing as Slow as I Can) :laugh:

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not trying to take this OT, but as I mentioned earlier, I thing slow songs are actually more difficult and I mentioned Journey Faithfully,. Just thought of another that we played tonight - not considered a slow song, but the tempo is definitely slow.....Joe Walsh "Rocky Mountain Way". Pretty easy song overall, but when the Wurli comes in, that slow tempo with the slight swing.....really have to lock in with the drummer. I find that stuff harder than Boston foreplay and other fast stuff. I think slow songs are absolutely the hardest to play.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've always enjoyed the slow songs, and still play way too many of them, ratio-wise. In past years a few that have stood out for me were Bonnie Raitt's 'I Can't Make You Love Me (If You Don't)', which is very slow. And Madonna's ballad 'Live To Tell'. And there are some really good old Country songs, like Ray Price's 'For The Good Times' and Jim Reeve's 'Welcome To My World'. A lot of opportunity for various piano noodlings. :)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

more than just liking slow songs, I like the contrast they provide to faster songs. Same thing for heavy and light. If it's just one speed or style all night (or all album or career), it's not as interesting IMHO.

:thu:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived