Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just had a nerve conduction test

Gary75

Gary, just read your update, and am heartened to hear your news. I hope all goes well with the surgery and that you get the best possible outcome from this. Take care of yourself, mate.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was living where you are, I'd comp the anesthesia charges (~$1,200 typically)

I'm working in the wrong part of the country!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Wonderful responses and heartening to have many angles responding from Yoga suggestion (which I would love as my only exvercise these days are walking the dogs) to someone who does these surgical procedures!

I'd like to have my technique analysed by you all as I'm self taught. I don't believe it's too bad but I want it to be spot on from this day forwards. If there is anything wrong in my technique I can rely on you all to tell me.

If it's a carpal tunnel issue, with the potential to cure surgically, then that's likely good news.

I've had five EMG/nerve conduction tests - on all four of my limbs - and they indeed suck.

Unfortunately, I've been diagnosed with something called CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). Basically, my immune system is attacking my peripheral nervous system... My feet are almost totally numb, and it's affecting the motor nerves in my legs. The docs tell me that it will slowly creep into my fingers and hands, which would suck even more.

There's apparently no cure for the very rare affliction I have, so again... If you've got a pretty good chance of a 'fix' with surgery, that sounds like good news to me. Best of luck to you!

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

If I was living where you are, I'd comp the anesthesia charges (~$1,200 typically)

I'm working in the wrong part of the country!

The secret is that it is a "neurological" procedure as it frees a nerve. As such, it is considered more risky than an orthopedic procedure and, well you guessed it, the billing goes up. I didn't set the cost, our friends at HHS (Medicare) did. But it is nice to reap what they sowed. :)

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

• 1 month later...

I had my surgery yesterday, surgeon said the median nerve actually looked good, didn't look red and angry, just tight as there was quite a thick band compressing it. So all being well I should have no long term effects.

Good news for sure.

As I have aged, I have naturally been led to playing less notes. Some call it minimalist ... Maybe this idea, creatively applied, will help when you start to play again.

Using more space. or less chording.. these two concepts come to mind. Melody is still at the top of my hierarchy in music. But this up to you.

edit A world class musician Pablo Casals, was devoted to Bach's music. He was quite old and suffered arthritis yet when he played Bach on piano his body would invigorate and he would be able to play. The elevated music was a catalyst for a nearly miraculous temporary revisitation of youth; at least in his painfully crippled hands.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I had my surgery yesterday, surgeon said the median nerve actually looked good, didn't look red and angry, just tight as there was quite a thick band compressing it. So all being well I should have no long term effects.

Excellent news. When the bandages come off, make sure you slowly increase the movement so that you don't form any adhesions. You will do well.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Every good wish!

Classical piano exercise caused my problem. Had 2 radial nerve decompressions, no luck. Had to give up keys to save my day job as a programmer for decades.

Now I'm retired, returning to the keys but the pain is still there so I'm way limited.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Bit sore but certainly not as restrictive as tendon surgery. Taking the large padded bandage off tonight as per instructions so I'll be left with just a light dressing so I can get some movement back.

Thankfully I'm not as dedicated a musician as I used to be, other things have come into my life from the 8 hour practice days I would have in my mainly jobless 20s. So I'm not going to be working my hands hard with practice regimes anymore. I have developed a bit of a hobby fixing up my Ford coupe.

Been out of gigging three years, I'm keen to do it again purely just for some mortgage money but have not been able to commit the last year as I knew I'd be out of action with multiple surgical procedures.

I think I have another couple of procedures to go so am unlikely to be doing any gigs this year now, but aside from the money I'm not actually missing the 1am get home.

Really good to hear that things are looking up for you. Sounds like you have a very healthy perspective. Best of luck with future procedures.

Ford coupe,huh? Now you're talking my language. I have an old Ford coupe too. Getting nice and greasy can be quite therapeutic.

Hey Gary,

I'm glad that you received good news following your surgery. I had carpel tunnel in both hands, but very minor in the right. I've had endoscopic surgery on the left hand at the top of the year. It was so bad I couldn't feel change in my pocket (a real needles and pins feeling). I wanted to mention it because even though it was bad (particularly in the thumb), I've regained almost all the feeling that I had lost and months later have only a slight tingling or numbness remaining in the fingers of my left hand. So, I wanted to reassure you that in some cases it may take a little while for the feeling to come back (after the median nerve is uncompressed), but that it is usual.

Best of luck with your recovery!

~ Anthony

Hey thanks it's much appreciated.

I'm now 8 days post surgery, and I'm having to work on packing for a house move. Trying to stay off the hand as much as possible but actually I think it may have helped doing some movement with it. Haven't managed to pop any stitches yet! Stitches due out Monday.

For those of you interested in seeing the aftermath (and I know some are squeamish) of carpal tunnel surgery 5 days after, there is a link below of my hand. No thumbnail! It's a bit gruesome but on the other hand (heh heh) it looks really neat.

https://ibb.co/bZYoVQ

Archived