Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-2000

ElmerJFudd

The VR700, VR760 and VR09, none of these allow you to send the organ to its own output. I hope after three fail attempts to allow this they got it right on the RD2000. Waiting for an owners manual to understand whether or not Roland finally got that right.....

Yup. And all it requires is the ability to create a user preset that pans one sound left and the other sound right, so it shouldn't require any additional hardware. (Though that approach may require you to disable effects like stereo reverb... it's still better than nothing.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just spoke with the Roland RD-2000 guy. If I understood him correctly, only the SN acoustic sounds (i.e., from the Integra/JP-80) are featured in the RD-2000, but I'm still not sure how many. He did say more/other SN sounds designed for the RD-2000 will be available via download, so reading between the lines, I'm not sure how populated the RD-2000 is with SN sounds at the moment. I then asked if any of my JP-80 sounds could be loaded into the RD-2000 and he said that the JP-80 sounds come from a "different engine." I apologize for any inaccuracy/ambiguity in this report, but the implicit, take-away message (at least initially) is that you may need to get a RD-2000 and a JP-80 or Integra to get the full compliment of sounds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yup. And all it requires is the ability to create a user preset that pans one sound left and the other sound right, so it shouldn't require any additional hardware.
hmmm, this could be the board I'm looking for. 76 keys with the vr700 keybed..... :2thu:

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm interested in seeing how this contrasts with the new Korg Grandstage. The 2000 is more nerve-center-minded, whereas the Korg is pretty clearly a more sophisticated SV-1 upgrade. There's an interesting Venn diagram crossover going on. The RD-2000 is so capable, it reminds me of David Sancious praising the Peavey DPM-C8 master controller, which offered multiple pedal jacks for running external hardware. I get the feeling that a lot of RD's will be cropping up anywhere that can pay the freight. Its definitely a 10-year-plus love affair waiting to happen. :drool: All it needs is a DeepMind12 on top and you're good to go! :hitt:

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

I'm interested in seeing how this contrasts with the new Korg Grandstage. The 2000 is more nerve-center-minded, whereas the Korg is pretty clearly a more sophisticated SV-1 upgrade. There's an interesting Venn diagram crossover going on. The RD-2000 is so capable, it reminds me of David Sancious praising the Peavey DPM-C8 master controller, which offered multiple pedal jacks for running external hardware. I get the feeling that a lot of RD's will be cropping up anywhere that can pay the freight. Its definitely a 10-year-plus love affair waiting to happen. :drool: All it needs is a DeepMind12 on top and you're good to go! :hitt:

If it has all the super naturall sounds from the jp80/fa/integra7. Then all it needs are the super naturall synth sounds from those series to.. then it would definately blow the Nord stage of its socks at that price...

Also would have loved to see aftertouch and d-beam..

I have heard some arpeggio's on the demo's... can anyone confirm there are arpeggio's inside the RD2000? (Not just drum but more like the FA series ). Having arpeggio's for every voice would make it even compete with the Yamaha Montae..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

If it has all the super naturall sounds from the jp80/fa/integra7. Then all it needs are the super naturall synth sounds from those series

The JP80, FA, and Integra 7 are substantially different on what SuperNatural (non-synth) sounds they have. The JP80 has a lot, the Integra has the most, and the FA has only a few.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

SuperNATURAL = marketing gimmick. I've never been impressed with any Roland "supernatural" sound on their boards.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

SuperNATURAL = marketing gimmick. I've never been impressed with any Roland "supernatural" sound on their boards.

Its definately not a marketing gimmick... its a combination of sampling and physicall modeling... now you might not like the sounds, thats another question, but it is definately not a marketing gimmick, but the description of a sound engine..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

I have heard some arpeggio's on the demo's... can anyone confirm there are arpeggio's inside the RD2000?
What Scott Tibbs played are not arpeggios in the sense of having an arpeggiator on board; but single patches where a powerful feature of the sound engine, called the Step LFO, is used. You can modulate the pitch of the four voices with a predefined 16-step sequence. But you cannot hold a chord and expect it to arpeggiate that chord.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I have heard some arpeggio's on the demo's... can anyone confirm there are arpeggio's inside the RD2000?
What Scott Tibbs played are not arpeggios in the sense of having an arpeggiator on board; but single patches where a powerful feature of the sound engine, called the Step LFO, is used. You can modulate the pitch of the four voices with a predefined 16-step sequence. But you cannot hold a chord and expect it to arpeggiate that chord.

So if you hold down two notes, it'll play the same 16-note sequence for both of them simultaneously?

My only concerns would be if the V-Piano engine is tweakable, like on the original V-Piano, and whether or not the PHA-50 action would pass the "Angry Young Man" or "Spider Fingers" tests. If so, I'd definitely be interested in this board.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

So if you hold down two notes, it'll play the same 16-note sequence for both of them simultaneously?
Yep. Or only one of them if the patch is set to monophonic.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I talked to Roland's tech support. The V-Piano in the RD-2000 IS a V-Piano not the HP - LX piano. He also said that the V-Piano in the RD-2000 will have less adjustments then the original V-Piano.

He also mentioned that the RD-2000 Integra-7 sounds were almost exclusively keyboard sounds.

The RD-2000 is be available in March.

The videos mentioned that there was 10 tones in the V-Piano section.

Roland RD-2000 Stage Piano

Stage Revolution

Equipped with two independent sound engines, premium action, and advanced controller features, the Roland RD-2000 delivers unmatched performance on stage and in the studio. Blending evolved piano technologies with extensive modern control, this next-generation instrument takes the industry-standard stage piano series to new levels of inspiration and creativity.>

Performance Powerhouse

The RD-2000 is a dream come true for the performing keyboardist. It features dual sound engines that power our best acoustic and electric pianos ever, plus the finest action weve ever put in a stage piano. Theres a massive selection of top-quality ensemble sounds to cover any musical task, as well as two wave expansion slots for adding even more sounds. And with its innovative modern interface, the RD-2000 is the perfect master controller for working with todays software-based instruments on stage.

Gorgeous Acoustic Pianos Powered by V-Piano Technology

In a word, the RD-2000s acoustic piano sounds are magnificent. Incorporating Rolands very latest piano technologies and long-running V-Piano research, the acoustic voice is incredibly natural, responsive, and richly detailed. The dedicated acoustic engine features full-keyboard polyphony, allowing you to realize authentic piano performances without absolutely no compromises.

Historic Electric Pianos

Via a second SuperNATURAL-based sound engine, the RD-2000 gives you access to a wide range of classic electric pianos from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Included are newly developed recreations of the RD-1000 (the very first RD stage piano) and MKS-20 sound module from the 1980s. Driven by Rolands milestone SA technology, their unique musical voices are instantly recognizable from that eras hit records. Vintage effects are also on hand for processing your EPs, including the famous BOSS CE-1 Chorus and Roland SDD-320 Dimension D. Visit our special RD history page for more background on these and other classic instruments and effects, plus sound demos of the recreations found in the RD-2000.

Superb Playability

The PHA-50 progressive hammer-action keyboard with escapement is the ideal platform for playing the RD-2000s responsive acoustic and electric pianos. This innovative keyboard features hybrid keys constructed of wood and molded materials, combining classic feel with rugged durability. Together with Rolands advanced sensor mechanism and hammer-action design, the PHA-50 delivers authentic grand piano touch thats right at home under your fingers.

Designed for the Stage

With its intuitive interface, navigating the RD-2000 during live performances is a breeze. Eight knobs and nine sliders provide instant control for sounds, effects, and more, and the knobs feature LED indicators for precise adjustment with instant visual feedback.

Zones and Scenes

The RD-2000 features eight assignable zones that allow you to map sounds to different key ranges, or create combination sounds with up to eight layers. And with the new Scene function, you can save 100 different snapshots of the entire keyboard setup and recall them with a quick button touch while performing.

Bender and Wheels

Equipped with Rolands classic pitch/mod lever and two modulation wheels, the RD-2000 provides expressive options for any performance style. The dual wheels are useful for detailed sound adjustment on external synths, and are independently assignable per program.

Powerful Encoder Knobs

The RD-2000s dynamic encoder knobs bring a new level of control to your live performances. LED indicators show the current knob value at a glance, even on the darkest stages. They also respond to velocity, allowing you to execute precise edits with slow movements and quickly move through tones and parameters with fast movements.

Ensemble Sounds for Every Genre

In addition to its world-class pianos, the versatile RD-2000 includes over 1100 additional sounds for covering any style of music with just one keyboard. Rolands SuperNATURAL technology provides highly expressive Virtual Tone Wheel organs, modern and vintage synths, clavinet, orchestral strings, brass, and many other sound types. At Rolands Axial sound website, youll find even more sounds to load into the RD-2000s two wave expansion slots, including selections from previous RD instruments. And if youre stepping up from the RD-800, youll be pleased to know that all your Live Sets are fully compatible with the RD-20

Command and Control

The RD-2000 offers the most extensive controller features of any RD piano to date, making it the perfect solution for commanding a large-scale setup. With the ability to seamlessly integrate internal sounds, software-based instruments, hardware sound modules, and more, the RD-2000 is mission control for the most advanced stage shows.

Connect with DAWs and Performance Software

Via the RD-2000s USB audio/MIDI interface, its easy to integrate software instruments with a studio DAW or a laptop running your favorite host software on stage. You can control soft synths with zones along with internal sounds, and route their audio through the RD-2000 to create a powerful hybrid rig. The interface supports 24-bit audio at rates up to 192 kHz, allowing you to access your highest quality sounds.

High-Res Control with RAINLINK

The RD-2000 supports Rolands newly developed RAINLINK protocol, which provides high-resolution velocity control for compatible software instruments. This ability is particularly effective for deriving the subtlest tonal nuances out of supported software-based pianos.

Flexible Audio Outputs

With its versatile outputs, the RD-2000 is ready to connect with any stage or studio setup. Main stereo outs are provided on XLR and ¼-inch jacks, and theres also a sub output that allows you to route internal sounds and USB audio independently.

Built for Professional Performers

Combining the traditional RD-series appearance with elements of the V-Piano, the RD-2000 embodies both tradition and innovation. Its designed from the ground up with the working pro in mind, with careful consideration of details regarding the interface workflow, sound organization, and physical layout of connectors, switches, knobs, and sliders.

Light and Durable

While the RD-2000s feature upgrades are significant, its weight hasnt changed from the previous RD generation. Its still easy to transport from gig to gig, and the aluminum body is both handsome and extremely durable.

Extensive Foot Controletail: Pedal

The RD-2000s four pedal inputs can be configured for damper pedals, expression pedals, and more. A DP-10 pedal is included for damper pedal operation. The optional RPU-3 provides a real grand piano pedaling experience, combining three pedals into one compact unit.

Matching Stand

For solid support on stage or in the studio, the optional KS-G8 stand is a perfect match for the RD-2000. It features an open design for a sleek look, plus durable steel piping and rigid bracing to ensure maximum stability. The KS-G8 folds for easy transport, and its height can be adjusted for sitting or standing positions.

Specifications

Next-generation RD stage piano with two independent sound engines and modern controller features

Dedicated acoustic piano sound engine with the latest Roland advancements provides authentic, richly detail tone with full polyphony

Second SuperNATURAL-based sound engine with 128-voice polyphony for electric pianos and additional sounds (compatible with RD-800 Live Sets)

Eight knobs with LED status indicators and nine sliders for real-time control of sounds and effects

Eight fully assignable zones for combining internal sounds and external sources (including software instruments)

PHA-50 keyboard features hybrid wood and molded construction for premium touch and lasting durability

Classic electric pianos on board, including Rolands legendary RD-1000 and MKS-20

Recreations of vintage analog effects, including the BOSS CE-1 Chorus, Roland Dimension D, and more

Over 1100 non-piano sounds, including organs, strings, brass, synths, and many others

Two wave expansion slots for loading additional sounds from Rolands Axial website, including sounds from previous RD-series pianos

100 Scene memories for saving and recalling setups with one touch

Traditional Roland pitch/mod lever and two assignable wheel controllers

24-bit/192 kHz USB audio/MIDI interface with support for high-resolution RAINLINK velocity control

What's it take to get the V-piano engine paired with the Avant Grand action?

A MIDI cable and a bunch of money.

^^^

You said it.

Pianoteq owners... how's it compare to what Roland has been working on with V-Piano? or Physis? If modeling is coming of age and it's going to surpass multi gig sample libraries, one can hope Yamaha and Korg have a horse in this race.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The disappointment for me is with the non-piano sounds, which are largely same old-same old.

2.5k is a lot of dough for an incremental piano update that most of the audience won't be able to discern (this is a stage piano after all)

The disappointment for me is with the non-piano sounds, which are largely same old-same old.

2.5k is a lot of dough for an incremental piano update that most of the audience won't be able to discern (this is a stage piano after all)

True that the non-piano sounds are nothing new. But the V-Piano sounds (purely modeled, no samples) were previously only available in instruments that were more than double the price (and had no other sounds at all). While I agree that most audience members won't be able to tell the difference, that's true about most of the stuff we buy. ;-) I think it's really about player satisfaction, and based on some reports, at least for some people, this might be the most satisfying $2500 piano you can buy (combination of action and sound). And at least the controller functions should make it easy to integrate other sounds you might like from laptop/tablet/whatever.

Oh, so that's good to know that this is the first version to included modeled V-Piano sounds.

I recently re-tried a current Roland Digital Piano though, and couldn't get on with the phasiness -- has this been corrected? Granted, it is a problem in most digital pianos, but software VST's have gotten past this by now.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived