Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Effect Pedals - Who Uses What?

Pigmeat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropbox not playing nicely with KC code.

I use lots of pedals.

MoogerFooger 101 and 102

MiniFooger Delay and Ring Mod

Electro Harmonix Stereo Poly Phase, Slammi, Memory Man Deluxe

Vox Wah

Line 6 M5

Fulltone Custom Shop FullDrive 3

Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run

Menatone Top Boost In A Can

MXR M 161 Commande Phaser (1981)

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus(1995)

:nopity:

I was thinking of getting a few. Anybody try a whammy pedal on keys? I was also thinking about the EH cockfight . Also thinking about the eh talking machine but it is input level triggered . I dont know what might happen at near line level.

Dropbox doesnt work with this forum. Ive tried.

FunMachine.

I run The World's Sexiest Nord Electro2 and various upper tier synths into a CE2, Phase 90, Crybaby, Holy Grail nano, MXR Boost through a Pro-145. I've been meaning to add a delay for years but haven't yet for some reason.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p551/ClavAnother/IMG_1179_zpsedf540e9.jpg

I've stopped using them, because the ones I like are mono-only and I'm finding that the majority of patches I use (or make myself) on Moog and DSI synths need the stereo thing going on even before applying phasers or delays and the like.

I'm talking synths-only though; I am currently 100% in-the-box when it comes to electric piano family instruments, and am happy enough with the built-in effects of my Hammond XK-1c.

I may sell my EHX Deluxe Memory Man, as I don't care for it on guitar and recently switched to the Moog Minimooger Analog Effect for guitar and bass. Ironically, I don't like that one on my Minimoog Voyager. :-)

For keyboard phasing, I love EHX Small Stone. But it's mono so I stopped using it -- though I may keep it for that rare mono patch. It really has "that" sound that we can immediately connect with, having heard it on so many 70's/80's albums.

The EHX Neo Clone was pretty good for keyboard chorusing and also was used a lot in the 70's/80's, but I'd just as soon use my TC Electronic SCF. I sold the Clone quite recently as I prefer the Anadime Chorus from Providence on guitars and TC on bass.

If I had a real Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, or what have you, I'd definitely be interested in experimenting with effects and amps as part of the recorded sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I use a couple of pedals in my live rig.

Rhodes MKII > EHX Stereo Pulsar > EHX Small Stone Phaser (Russian version) > Xotic EP Booster > EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO > T-Rex Room Mate Reverb (room) > TC Hall of Fame (reverb w. heavy modulation) > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Roland Juno 6 > Strymon Timeline > second input on Fender amp.

Moog Sub 37 > EHX Memory Boy > DI.

Very happy with the setup. Need some sort of dirt pedal for the Rhodes though.

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

Pedals are great to build signature sounds. I still have a nice collection of analog pedals. CM95 Wah > Mesa Tone Burst > MXR auto Q > Maxon AD999 analog delay > MXR analog chorus > MXR stereo tremolo. Great chain for e-piano, esp. when amped through a good guitar amp (I have a Twin for Rhodes and Wurli ;). Some of these effects a still way ahead of there digital counterparts, esp. the filter fx like wah and the auto q. The Mesa is also very good for a bit of crunch.

It's huge fun to play with effects but it can be an expensive hobby and tedious to set up. Also I think that some boards now offer very good digital fx models, like Yamaha VCM. I think that good FX has been an afterthought of manufacturers for a long time. It's not necessary the digital technology that falls short but the quality if the algorithms. For example, I use a lot of real time FX and amp models on the UAD platform, like the Fender Tweed 55 or the tape echo's. This level of performance is still rare in keyboards but would make a huge difference imo.

Easy for me for Genesis - stick the MXR100 on the SK2 and everything else is done with built in effects.
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Pedals are great to build signature sounds. I still have a nice collection of analog pedals. CM95 Wah > Mesa Tone Burst > MXR auto Q > Maxon AD999 analog delay > MXR analog chorus > MXR stereo tremolo. Great chain for e-piano, esp. when amped through a good guitar amp (I have a Twin for Rhodes and Wurli ;). Some of these effects a still way ahead of there digital counterparts, esp. the filter fx like wah and the auto q. The Mesa is also very good for a bit of crunch.

It's huge fun to play with effects but it can be an expensive hobby and tedious to set up. Also I think that some boards now offer very good digital fx models, like Yamaha VCM. I think that good FX has been an afterthought of manufacturers for a long time. It's not necessary the digital technology that falls short but the quality if the algorithms. For example, I use a lot of real time FX and amp models on the UAD platform, like the Fender Tweed 55 or the tape echo's. This level of performance is still rare in keyboards but would make a huge difference imo.

This. :like:

I'm really thinking about selling off my collection of pedals and getting a Line 6 Helix for general use around the house and studio. You have to be careful with using guitar pedals on keyboards. Many have built in filters to cut out bass tones before processing. This is especially true of digital pedals. Pedals made for bass generally work better for keyboards if you want the effect on the full audio range. That is why I want the Helix. Line 6 finally added more bass suitable effects. I have an HD500 but the selection of bass effects on that unit is minimal.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I run The World's Sexiest Nord Electro2 and various upper tier synths into a CE2, Phase 90, Crybaby, Holy Grail nano, MXR Boost through a Pro-145. I've been meaning to add a delay for years but haven't yet for some reason.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p551/ClavAnother/IMG_1179_zpsedf540e9.jpg

I can't get authentic Phasers in Native or DSP so I use a Phase 90 also.

But do have a DSP Programmer making a Phaser collection for me.

Discrete audio and CV signals are important and unless you have the actual effect to A/B the sound while programming the emulated schematics are Poodles vrs. Shepards.

Dogs must Hunt or they become eye candy...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I used them back in the day. I don't use them now unless for some reason I have to. In general on board effect work better. Signal to noise ratio is lower. There is no hiss. If I want to use one of my old analog boards I will run it through some rack effects. Usually just a Lexicon verb. With digital boards I want clean audio chains. I use guitar pedals on guitar and even on guitar if I run too much grease I need to run ISP noise reduction.

Back in the day I was fond of Wah pedals and the Dr Q.

PS - well I do run a vent but that seems different to me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The only pedal I use is a Boss digital delay for my Moog Phatty. Mono in and can do stereo ping pong delay out. Now that I have my Nord Lead A1 with the build in effects, the Moog is not in the rig anymore.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I used to use a Phase 90 when I played a real Clavinet back in the late 70's and a chorus/delay by roland on my Moog. I haven't used any effects other than on board effects in a long time. In some cases I could see it making a difference but on board effects have come a long way.

This is my current pedal situation.

Clavinet D6 > Vox HW Wah > Mu-tron III > Mu-tron Phaser 2 > Strymon El Capistan > 1965 Fender Vibro Champ

Minimoog Model D + Korg MS04 + Moogerfooger MF-102 > Boss Flanger > ProCo Rat > Boss RE-20

Access Virus KC > Strymon Big Sky

As far as new pedals, I am loving the Strymon stuff!

For live playing, I only use the built in effects on my MOXF8 and SK1-73. Less to worry about.

Eventide H9 Max

Moogerfoogers (Phaser, LPF)

Two Notes CAB

Alairex HALO Overdrive

TC stereo chorus/flanger

CatalinBread Echorec

Electro Harmonix Stereo Polyphase

GSi Burn

Mostly studio. I have used the Halo, H9 and CAB as a live guitar rig, but not much.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Only pedals I have are the Moogerfoogers (LP filter, Ring Mod, Phaser, 2x analog delays, MIDIMurf, ClusterFlux).

Being an EE familiar with circuit design, I generally stay away from pedal FX. If I spot a DC wallwart or battery compartment, that tells me they are designed around a single power rail which results in worse noise and dynamic range then a proper dual power rail system. Not all circuits will work in single power rail systems. If it uses a battery, even more compromises have to be made to keep the battery from being drained too quickly.

Guitar players may never notice because most guitar amps top out at about 6Khz. But in a full bandwidth system like keyboards - I can't tolerate the compromises.

I almost never use onboard FX.

I've been experimenting and stumbled upon a great combination - Korg SDD-3300 (triple digital delay) combined with Lexicon PCM60 (digital reverb). The 3300 is a tweaker's delight and very configurable box, has been a favorite modulated delay box for my analogs. The PCM60 is a poor man's Lexicon that gets the classic reverbs but has no programmability.

Since the 3300 has a flexible matrix system I thought "what if" I patched the PCM60 into this matrix. It is also known that the PCM60 is a "crippled" 224 so I could re-enable some processing with the 3300. Now I can program the reverb level, process the reverb through the 3300's delay processors, vary the predelay, etc all over MIDI. Can't configure reverb time and size parameters of the PCM60 over MIDI, but the stereo results sound great. Very flexible arrangement. I loved the results so much that I standardized on this FX system and built four duplicates of 3300+PCM60 for my analogs, ready for gigging or studio.

I'm a bit of a pedal junkie. I leave my RHodes setup all the time, patched into a homemade Rat Clone, an EH Small Stone, and a Voodoo Labes Giggity. The Giggity is a weird pedal, I actually won it as a door prize from a local music store event, it's a pre-amp/EQ pedal with a bunch of pre-programmed EQ curves, it sounds terrific on the RHodes. My Minimoog is usually running through an MXR Phase 90, and a Way Huge delay pedal. And I move my Eventide H9 Max between my modular rig, the studio and my live rig so much I'm considering getting a 2nd.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

> patched into a homemade Rat Clone

Very nice!

Yeah, but in the interest of transparency, I should say I didn't build it, a friend did. He made it so you can switch between diode types from the front panel, and get several different flavors of fuzz. One setting is totally perfect for Rhodes.

Interesting how many of us have H9.

dB

Well, your review probably sold a bunch of us on it. it did me. If I had to just keep one pedal, it'd be the H9. Still feel like I'm discovering more stuff with it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Interesting how many of us have H9.

dB

I'm thinking about putting up some stuff for sale (I've mentioned previously I don't like selling stuff) to finance a H9 as I've not the funds for one right now. General consensus seems to be that's the way to go.

:nopity:

Working with the H9 via the Control App and an iPad is really nice....it's a very solid software, great interface, and just fun as heck.

Also they are doing a cool upgrade deal right now for Core and Standard owners to upgrade to MAX.

By the way, the H9 Control App works just fine with any of their "factor" boxes as long as you update the O/S.

Well, your review probably sold a bunch of us on it. it did me.

Me, too! :boing:

The cool thing about a killer piece of gear is that the review really does kind of write itself.

If I had to just keep one pedal, it'd be the H9. Still feel like I'm discovering more stuff with it.

Agreed. Plus - updates! :2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived