Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How was your 2016 ?

Song80s

FYI, and this is my old school mentality, I am not into bragging. This topic is reflection or a progress check in.

I prefer to not absorb the external events, the politics, the many deaths of musical legends.

From a life management perspective, these do not alter my day to day life.

I ( and my wife) had a good 2016. When you and the spouse are on the same page, it makes a big difference.

Musically, I made good progress on my youtube project . I am half way complete with my recording of tunes. In addition I made good progress delving deeper into the Kronos.

Financially, on track. If you are into the stock market , have a 401k, investments, you feel good. There was lots of gloom last February, and it never came to fruition.

While the home/house is not considered an 'investment ' you can look at it long term as your most important asset. Here in California, real estate is off the charts. Our 2 year new house has increased nicely. We re-fi'd to 15 yrs at a 3.10% fixed rate. This will be paid off early as my wife would like to retire in 5 years.

I cannot lose this extra 25 pounds. I have frequent knee sprains which impairs daily exercise. Its 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Have worn out cartilage from decades of running.

My small business had a good year. All bills are paid. Have a reserve for taxes. I plan on-experience returns/refunds in January since 90% of what I offer are gifts.

My inventory is low and cleaned up, as I start out every new year as a new beginning.

Feel free to post your high points or those fast curves that life throws at all of us.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really buy or sell any gear in 2016 which is unusual for me. I did, however, finally get a Macbook Pro and properly learn Mainstage (something that has interested me for a few years). At this point it's just a toy, but it's a lot of fun.

I "retired" from playing live music in April due to the amount of work vs. my return on investment. I couldn't spend 1-2 hours in the basement practicing every day and my wife and I wanted to do a lot more traveling. We did do a bit of traveling this year, including several road trips on the east coast and one big trip to Europe. We have major travel plans for 2017 already, so that's a good thing.

Like Greg, I can't seem to unload an extra 25 pounds. I've just cut out excess refined sugar and carbs, so we'll see where that goes.

As 2016 winds to a close, I find that I really miss being in a band and playing with other musicians so I might have to come out of retirement at some point.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I didn't really buy or sell any gear in 2016 which is unusual for me. I did, however, finally get a Macbook Pro and properly learn Mainstage (something that has interested me for a few years). At this point it's just a toy, but it's a lot of fun.

I "retired" from playing live music in April due to the amount of work vs. my return on investment. I couldn't spend 1-2 hours in the basement practicing every day and my wife and I wanted to do a lot more traveling. We did do a bit of traveling this year, including several road trips on the east coast and one big trip to Europe. We have major travel plans for 2017 already, so that's a good thing.

Like Greg, I can't seem to unload an extra 25 pounds. I've just cut out excess refined sugar and carbs, so we'll see where that goes.

As 2016 winds to a close, I find that I really miss being in a band and playing with other musicians so I might have to come out of retirement at some point.

that sounds like a very good year. I am still fussing over getting a MBP and then MainStage plus VI's.

A few years ago, wife and I spent 3 weeks in Europe, a fabulous trip. Flew to Milan, proceeded to Florence, Venice, Lake Como, Nice/Monaco, and a week in Paris.

[70's Songwriter]

Fortunately, I had plenty of VIs already (Omnisphere, Trillian, Arturia V-Collection, M-Tron Pro, VB3, Komplete 8, SampleTank, etc). Those things can really add up cost-wise, but I've had most of them for a very long time and have kept upgrading along the way.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I was pretty busy this year with elder care involving my parents. My dad's alzheimers is advancing and I took charge of the finances. We had the disease under control and he was still holding up good, until this summer when he went missing for two days when he left to get pizza for dinner. That was a big ordeal and I pretty much had to be a pillar of strength for mom. We had to put him in a nursing home after it was obvious that alzheimers did more damage, and it was fortunate that we did as the disease is now progressing faster. Getting the Medicaid paperwork filled out was an ordeal because Dad had lost his organizational skills and no one knew he was misplacing records (and losing mail) all over the house. Mom is handling herself OK at home, once a week I drive an hour to do chores and get the trash out. I have accepted long ago that there was going to be a day my parents wouldn't be around, but Mom isn't ready to let Dad go yet.

Musically, I really enjoyed going to NAMM and seeing many friends. I had extra vacation this year and elected to travel by Amtrak to NAMM as I love traveling by train. The only gear purchase has been Anvil cases. There was some great new gear introduced at NAMM, but I have everything I need and don't need more stuff.

I left the southern rock band out of frustration over guitar dominance. I'm not anxious to play out again right away and would prefer to work in my studio writing/recording songs and developing the next project, possibly a "switched-on" ensemble. It may not be lucrative $$$ but bar bands are no better, I'm tired of late nights, and I have other ambitions I have been itching to get out.

And after a very long healing period from my divorce, I'm ready to meet someone. That's a goal for 2017.

Musically, I had a good year. Financially the best ever as a weekend warrior, and I only did 50 shows. Bought some nice new "red" gear (E5d and NLA1). The Floyd tribute I'm in had a bunch of great shows. I got to play with some fine blues players at jams and then gigs I picked up from the jams. My 2 other bands had good years as well including a sold out show at a nice theater last night.

Personally, on the negative side, I lost a couple friends and my 12 year old German Shepherd, who was my companion his whole life. On the plus side, my daughter got engaged, we got a new Great Dane pup to replace the GSD, and my health and life in general is good. Looking forward to 2017.

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

We had big life changes this year after retiring last summer from the 9 to 5. We moved back to my home town, which took several months and many trucks as I cheaped out and did it myself.

I was a self declared musical slut this summer and played with 6 different bands after years of living in a musical wasteland. The bones are older now and it aches more, but I still need to scratch the live performance itch!

Bonus - I moved south and winters are much milder. No more of this:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/misc/winter.jpg

Moe

---

Family: lost an uncle over the summer and an aunt this week. Still have mom and pop but I see their generation starting to fade and it worries me. Need to enjoy their company while they're here. Kids are healthy and happy. Seeing them do Christmas was great. Lots of photos.

Work: gigs were steady, teaching schedule steady too. wasn't a bad year. actually, probably best year since 2007 if you know what I mean. Got my VR-700 which I'm enjoying playing - although since music is work, rarely get time to play what I'd like to spend time on. But that's a weak complaint.

Health: personal health is ok. need to get more active, break a sweat doing something. weight is more than it ought to be and energy level is lower than I'd like it to be. that's what sedentary work gets you. I've seen those new office desks that raise the computer station to standing height and in some cases have a treadmill below. LOL I wonder if they can do this for the piano. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I was pretty busy this year with elder care involving my parents. My dad's alzheimers is advancing and I took charge of the finances. We had the disease under control and he was still holding up good, until this summer when he went missing for two days when he left to get pizza for dinner. That was a big ordeal and I pretty much had to be a pillar of strength for mom. We had to put him in a nursing home after it was obvious that alzheimers did more damage, and it was fortunate that we did as the disease is now progressing faster. Getting the Medicaid paperwork filled out was an ordeal because Dad had lost his organizational skills and no one knew he was misplacing records (and losing mail) all over the house. Mom is handling herself OK at home, once a week I drive an hour to do chores and get the trash out. I have accepted long ago that there was going to be a day my parents wouldn't be around, but Mom isn't ready to let Dad go yet.

I went thru similar experience about 10 yrs ago. Very difficult. My Moms alzheimers went on for 2 years before she died. There are no easy answers.

It might be a time to capture and record family history. I was amazed by my Mom's ability to explain family events from long ago.

[70's Songwriter]

I went thru similar experience about 10 yrs ago. Very difficult. My Moms alzheimers went on for 2 years before she died. There are no easy answers.

It might be a time to capture and record family history. I was amazed by my Mom's ability to explain family events from long ago.

Yeah we are in memory capture mode now with family history, going through old photos and making notes. Mom's memory is very good. Up until he went missing Dad's long term memory was remarkably solid, but not anymore. He has focus problems and his ability to get the thought process from brain to mouth is starting to go.

Never an easy disease to deal with. With Dad placed in the nursing home, he can no longer be in obstruction mode and we can manage the house better. There comes a point when you have to ask for help.

We had big life changes this year after retiring last summer from the 9 to 5.

Bonus - I moved south and winters are much milder.

I have a very good job in wintry upstate NY, but southern living is looking more attractive for retirement. Besides the milder weather, cost of living is much cheaper not having to heat the house. And I can tolerate hot weather without AC.

My oldest son started college, my younger son was awarded his Eagle Scout credentials, I have a false sense of security at work (as opposed to no sense of security), and my wife is loving her switch to teaching STEM courses at the middle-school level. I can't complain.

and you cannot beat that tropical Chicago weather.

I bet it's 78 degrees and the beaches along Lake Michigan are crowded

;)

[70's Songwriter]

Family - boy is at University in New Zealand, and loving it. Wife still puts up with me - win.

Health - bones getting creaky. Price of being an action figure, I guess. Still not sure if playing Disc Golf every morning helps or hurts. :idk:

Work - really good. I play with gear and talk with people about it - my kind of good time, to be sure. Put out the best record I've done to date this year as well. Pretty sure I retired from playing live as well, though...but I imagine the jury is still out on that.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

How was your 2016?

Mmm.

Better ask again in 12 months or so...

which reminds me. I like the slow pace of Italy.

Wife and I should move there. Do you see a lot of Americanos residing there ?

[70's Songwriter]

Both my parents have been gone for about 8 years now, and I find myself going thru periods from time time where I dream about them or start thinking about them and missing them. Lately I've been thinking about them a lot, get all teary eyed if I start talking about my mom, she sang around the piano like she did with her sister growing up, the one who got me interested in music in the first place. Life is short!

Gear wise its been the year of speakers. I enjoy playing in outdoor jam sessions in Golden Gate park in SF, it's an expansive feeling to be playing in the great outdoors surrounded by trees, green grass and open skies! For years I played my flutes and various through a Crate Limo amp, rechargeable battery, and finally upgraded that POS to the Roland Street Cube EX, which is a surprisingly good battery powered speaker, can even run my keys thru it with a reasonable amount of bass and volume, considering.

I also got and kept the SS V.3, tried out and returned/sold the Mackie Freeplay, the Turbosound IQ 12, a Yamaha DXR 15, bought and kept a QSC K10.

Now I have an A rig and a B rig, all of which I can play off the grid. I often bring one of my boards out to play in the "guitar circle" (during the week, mostly guitars and my keys and a few drums). For someone like me that's reluctant to deal with being in a band, this is a fun musical outlet. I find myself naturally going into band host mode, I load up my van and bring 3 congas, a guitar, mic, good sound system, my keys and flutes, most of this for others to play. Good times!

Also got two live condenser mics this year, the Rode M3 and the Blue Encore 300, both of which I've really enjoyed, big upgrade from the lousy dynamic mic I was using. AND I got a VoiceLive 3, at $355 for a refurb unit, I couldn't pass it up. As a wanna be singer and fun-with-loops guy, I bought this as an encouragement to develop my voice. I can do the low and high throat singing, but the real challenge is the regular singing voice, which is an elusive sometimes thing for me. Having a good quality mic thru a nice pedal and thru a good speaker means I get a lot of positive reenforcement for what I can do, even a whisper or speaking voice sounds good.

Tried once again to add guitar to my repertoire, but now more than ever my hands are too stiff to play that lovely instrument. I get guitar envy sometimes, being able to strum and have your fingers on the strings themselves, and the wonderful responsiveness of fx and amps to your playing, its something I love, but unfortunately don't have the physical prowess for.

Have been more conscientious about working on the technical stuff and developing my chops. Like with the VoiceLive 3, there's a lot to know and program before its something I could use reliably in a live situation, have been more willing of late to put on that thinking cap and work out all the technicalities of the various pieces of kit I've got. Technology is definitely part of learning most of my instruments these days.

Was in a band the last couple of years that broke up this year. Although this band didn't work out, I'm ready to be in one again. I've never thought that a band was a way to make good money, that seems more like a remote possibility that could happen over time. My main desire with a band is to have other good musicians to work with and play where people are dancing and having a good time.

Work wise I notice I don't have the get up and go initiative I once had, have definitely slowed down. Health wise I'm doing OK, no major issues, just don't have the energy I used to.

It's really interesting to hear a bit of everybody's story. Seems like there's a lot of us older guys that still really enjoy their music!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

This was a BIG CHANGE year for me. After 5 years of rehabbing my old house, I finally sold it. Bittersweet for sure. Spent 20+ years there. First thing I moved in was my band equipment. Back in the day it served as a rehearsal space. it was not unusual to find band mates sleeping on the couch, on the deck (weather permitting). Raised my son there. I could not bring myself to paint the doorway to the kitchen. This would have erased the growth lines drawn in pencil.

It was an absolute nightmare bringing the old place up to current codes. A total time vampire and money pit. At last it is over, still kinda shell shocked about the whole thing.

I have been phoning it in with my band. Thanks for not kicking me to the curb guys. I look forward to concentrating on music again.

Best Wishes to ALL you musicians out there!!

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

2016 has been fine on my end. No aches or pains therefore no reason to complain.

Musically, 2016 has been OK. My band has picked up a few gigs. I believe we will get tighter and business will ramp up in the New Year.

Gear-wise, I had been content with my rig. Yet, my minimalism has flared up. Now, I'm looking for a way to consolidate if at all possible. In fact, that will be the subject of a new thread. ;)

I'm expecting 2017 to be a great year on all fronts. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Gear-wise, I had been content with my rig. Yet, my minimalism has flared up. Now, I'm looking for a way to consolidate if at all possible. In fact, that will be the subject of a new thread. ;) l:

Maybe its because I don't gig. The Kronos covers the bases IMO.

And minimalism is very real. I watched this documentary a few notes ago:

http://images2.laweekly.com/imager/how-two-guys-known-as-the-minimalists-ar/u/original/2445130/minimalism_live_a_meaningful_life_thumb_300x481.jpeg

[70's Songwriter]

2016 was a pretty good year for me.

I did a LOT of live sound work this year. The company I've worked with for several years has really stepped up its game, and we did a number of large local festivals this year, and will be doing more next year. We just bought 24 X-Array boxes and 8 Bag End Quad 18 boxes for the big outdoor festivals, really excited to hear wht this system can do! Also signed on as the house soundguy at a new venue in town run by an old friend, we just installed a house system there yesterday and I'll be doing shows there 2-4 times a month. Did a fair amount of studio work this year as well.

Due to the above, I feel like I am in better shape than I have been for a while. The work is pretty physical at times, and this is great for me, as I will virtually never go to the gym. I like being active and busy. Could stand to lose 25-30 lbs, though.

I didn't get to gig as much this year as usual, but had a number of very cool shows, my Bob Marley tribute got to backup Jamaican singer Norma Fraser for some festival gigs, plus played a few big shows on our own. Got to play keys on a Led Zeppelin tribute gig that was very much fun, especially getting to play the string parts on Kashmir. And I got to do a free-improv synth-noise show with Keyboard editor Gino Robair, got some video of that that I hope to be posting soon.

My original band Xenat-Ra didn't gig as much this year, and I didn't finish our 2nd record as I'd hoped, but I'm looking to get it out in 2017.

Got some big projects done on the house that I've been meaning to do for years, but, as always, there's more to do.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Also, as far as gear this year, it's been pretty good. Picked up an Eventide H9 Max, and that thing still blows my mind, it's like this is the effects box I've been searching for my whole life. And I got a Make Noise 0-Coast semi-modular, which has triggered a trip down the Eurorack rabbit hole from which I may never emerge.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My oldest son started college, my younger son was awarded his Eagle Scout credentials, I have a false sense of security at work (as opposed to no sense of security), and my wife is loving her switch to teaching STEM courses at the middle-school level. I can't complain.

and you cannot beat that tropical Chicago weather.

I bet it's 78 degrees and the beaches along Lake Michigan are crowded

;)

Ouch! You saw through me! :)

Great thread! 2016 was probably the biggest change for me since my kids were born.

Retired as of Jan 1 I completed quite a few maintenance projects, both music related and home improvement. Still hooked on electronics (as many of you well know) and I look for ways to get my fix; Memorymoog refurb, Minimoog modifications, Speck Xtramix/Leslie repairs etc. Unfortunately it's been somewhat to the demise of my music improvement efforts. I find these "distractions" allow me to stay in my comfort zone. There's been some musical progress but looking for way more in the coming year(s). I did accomplish learning one real piece of music; Eruption by Keith Emerson; seemed a most fitting goal for this year.

Equipment: 1 skiff of cool Eurorack modules and a new Akai controller for additional modulation capability; that's enough modular for me as I'm still not into the bloops and bleeps.

Family:

Our son graduated and landed a great job this summer (posted on this separately). He continues to do well and is moving out next week. Not that he's here much now but I'm going to miss having him around. I think we'll be meeting up quite often as he'll be close by.

Our daughter landed an internship with Goldman Sachs for this coming summer in Salt Lake City. Unbelievable opportunity although another summer of no daughter before her senior year :cry:. Such is life.

Not so good: 30 year old niece (with 2 little kids)- almost sure she's addicted to drugs hanging with some real bad people causing all kinds of family problems, money being a big one.

Always end on a good note: Still happily married, maybe more so than ever (someone's got to support me :keys:)

Travel: Iceland, New Zealand/Australia; Meeting Markay and his wife was the highlight of the NZ/Australia trip and 2016.

Friends: My biggest concern approaching retirement was my social life. Still maintaining a small core of friends from work along with many of you folks here for which I am extremely grateful :cheers: . Great turn out for the summer MAKCFH, visits from Jimmy (BluesKeys), Jim (cedar), ProfD and Paolo, and met up with Dave Doerfler at least 2x. Also got to see Eric, Kevin (Kanker), Bill (Vonner) and Justin(Havu) play live.

Health: Still running 4.25 miles 3x/week; Still Huffing; Still Puffing :pop: . All in all my health not too bad other then chronic back/neck fatigue, flare-ups.

How was your 2016?

Mmm.

Better ask again in 12 months or so...

which reminds me. I like the slow pace of Italy.

Wife and I should move there. Do you see a lot of Americanos residing there ?

well, frankly, my little post had nothing to do with living at a slow pace... :idk

btw yes, a few Americani (and Brits) definitely around. Mostly in the historical cities, or on the hills of Tuscany.

Internaly, not bad...

Externally, The worse year of my life....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived