Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

YES IS IN!!!!! (RnR HOF)

HammondDave

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder who will be playing at the ceremony... My vote is for this rhythm section!

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Gee Dave, how many times did you vote? or did you call Putin for help?

:laugh:

I am curious which song Vladimir likes the most the coming Eurovision contest,....or which miss he thinks looks best at the miss world / universe elections.

There is only one successfull way.......the Putin way :laugh:

Steve Howe's comments....

Reaction from Howe...

Some highlights...

On Tupac:

"I'm not quite familiar with him, but there's bound to be artists I'm not familiar with."

On Bill Bruford showing up to play:

"He told me he hasn't played in nine years and he's not anticipating playing again, and I don't see anyone pressuring him to play. I know people would love to see him, of course. He's a friend of mine and I wouldn't want to pressure him at all. I don't want to hold him to it, but he told me he would love to come and be a part of it, but he doesn't anticipate playing."

I liked this one, when asked about songs they might play...

"We'd love to play "Roundabout." We haven't been playing it this year, but "Owner of a Lonely Heart," we know that song"

Funny to hear "the band itself" talking about whether or not they know a hit song "they" recorded! But yeah, you can see where it comes from, since Alan White is the only current "Yes" member who actually played on that record.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Really? ELO?, Chic? Nothing against those bands but cmon. No Vanilla Fudge? Our beloved Deep Purple probably wouldnt have sounded the same without their influence. Rock music might not have sounded the same. No Foghat? Nugent? Trower? I could go on and on. I know you say please dont. I post this comment every year. Next year i will just post #2822434 and a link.

FunMachine.

:thu:

On second thoughts ... does the RnR HOF deserve to have Yes in it? :evil::D

My feelings exactly - glad to see YES (my fav band, although now it is ARW :) ) - but with the current state of the RnR hall of shame, not sure they deserve true musicians that are YES

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Really? ELO?, Chic? Nothing against those bands but cmon. No Vanilla Fudge? Our beloved Deep Purple probably wouldnt have sounded the same without their influence. Roxk music might not have sounded the same. No Foghat? Nugent? Trower? I could go on and on. I know you say please dont. I post this comment every year. Next year i will just post #2822434 and a link.

I totally agree! Blackmore, Paice and Lord have stated in the past that Vanilla Fudge was their favorite band back then, and that they were trying to be "The British Vanilla Fudge".

And Steppenwolf was huge! They should get in for this song alone:

Journey!!! Where is EscapeRocks??? (i'm a big yes on yes, don't get me wrong...)

Same here, cool to see Gregg Rolie in two HOF bands! :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Journey!!! Where is EscapeRocks??? (i'm a big yes on yes, don't get me wrong...)

You rang?? :D

I am excited for them, as I am for YES and ELO.

I don't get overly hyped about these things. That's why you didn't see me leading off any of these discussions once the official announcement was released.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Trevor Rabin's take at

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/yes-trevor-rabin-on-rock-hall-possible-reunion-w456870

Interesting quote:

"For 15 years Chris Squire was trying to get me back into the band, and he'd say, 'Come on, leave your desk job.' I said I wasn't up for it. "

I wonder if that's news to Steve Howe...!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would love to hear Bruford play again... Maybe they can convince him to play?

Shame Squire cant be there , hes pretty much been the only continious member up untill he died. He was Yes.

So true... I wonder who will be playing bass at the ceremony...

Funny to hear "the band itself" talking about whether or not they know a hit song "they" recorded! But yeah, you can see where it comes from, since Alan White is the only current "Yes" member who actually played on that record.

Daryl Steurmer is the Keeper of the Genesis Chords. Whenever they get back together for a tour - and this is going back a couple of decades - Mike Rutherford asks Daryl what the chords are to a piece he himself might have written.

Mike has commented on it several time, the inability to remember songs he himself has written, and how Daryl knows ALL of them.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Shame Squire cant be there , hes pretty much been the only continious member up untill he died. He was Yes.

So true... I wonder who will be playing bass at the ceremony...

Not "pretty much," Funster, he actually was the only continuous member of Yes from the first album to the last!

Dave, I think it's got to be Billy Sherwood, who was Squire's hand-picked successor (and also a member of the group for years even while Chris was alive... he's listed as a band member on two albums, and toured with them).

I am not surprised. Check this out from 5:00 - 6:30... Wakeman: "Obviously it is difficult because we've only been playing this piece for 34 years..."

Gotta go with AnotherScott, as I'd think it would almost have to be Billy Sherwood.

If you're a big YES nerd ( like me ) and have 40 minutes to kill, here's an interesting medley of darn near the full YES catalog ( well, probably an exaggeration, but you get the point ) , with Sherwood on bass---acquitting himself impressively well, copping Squire's lines, and tone, on a Kubicki---along with original keys man Tony Kaye and Alan White on drums:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xkonlAu8Y

That said, Lee Pomeroy, touring with ARW on bass, is no slouch either. But I'd probably go with Sherwood, if I had to make the call.

Gotta go with AnotherScott, as I'd think it would almost have to be Billy Sherwood.

If you're a big YES nerd ( like me ) and have 40 minutes to kill, here's an interesting medley of darn year the full YES catalog ( well, probably an exaggeration, but you get the point ) , with Sherwood on bass---acquitting himself impressively well, copping Squire's lines, and tone, on a Kubicki---along with original keys man Tony Kaye and Alan White on drums:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xkonlAu8Y

That said, Lee Pomeroy, touring with ARW on bass, is no slouch either. But I'd probably go with Sherwood, if I had to make the call.

I have to respectfully disagree. Sherwood is a great player, but so is Pomeroy. I hope that Sherwood plays a Rickenbacker as his bass does not sound like a Rick (IMHO). You have to play a Rick to have it sound like a Rick... That, along with Bruford's snare sound, are iconic sounds for that band.

All that being said, when I last saw Yes in LA (right after Chris' death), Sherwood played well, but the band was as flat as a pancake (understandably since it was close to Chris' passing). ARW played those same Yes songs with so much more intensity and musicianship. Again, the rhythm section is much younger and stronger, and Rabin and Wakeman are superior players right now.

My vote for the celebration performance:

Vocals: Anderson

Guitars: Rabin and Howe

Keys: Kaye and Wakeman

Bass: Pomeroy

Drums: Bruford and White (should be cluttered as all hell)

I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. Sherwood is a great player, but so is Lee Pomeroy. However, Sherwood's bass does not sound like a Rickenbacker.

I don't think the HOF performer selection will be about who sounds more authentic. Sherwood has more Yes pedigree, and I think Squire's "endorsement" would be a factor as well, since he basically hand-picked Sherwood to replace him.

As for the Rick, I happened across this Q&A with Sherwood about that:

Q: Did you ever consider picking up Chris Rick and using it for the current tour? It would have been quite a moment.

A: Yeah, you know that was the biggest conversation going on when all of this broke. I had so many people asking are you going to play the Rick? and even people offering their Rickies to play. The reality is Ive just never been a Ricky guy.

When I was growing up, as much as I worshipped Chris, when I went to go buy my first bass, I finally had enough money to buy a nice bass and there was this beautiful black 4001 at the guitar store in Vegas and I went down there and I played it and for me, ergonomically, right where I like to pick is where that pick guard thing is that covers the pickup. So immediately I was like Oh my god! Wait a minute!

I didnt expect that. Chris was a big guy so for him to back off that thing and pick behind it or in front of it was no big deal for him. But for me ergonomically speaking, I found it was starting to give me a weird cramp just from having to get in position to pick things. So I never really played a Ricky. Ive owned so many different basses. Never owned a Ricky, except for the one Chris gave me the signature model of his but thats more of a keepsake. I dont really even play that one. So, no, Im not going to be playing a Rickenbacker.

One of the last conversations I had with Chris, he said Look, Im watching the temperature out there of whats going on and it seems the YES fans are accepting of you coming in and standing in for me and everything like that and everything seems cool and I said Yeah, theres just one issue and he said Whats that? and I said Well, everyone is asking me, you know, are you going to play a Ricky, are you going to play a Ricky?? and Chris stopped me and he goes Oh my god! That would be so fucking ridiculous!

So I said Im so glad you said that, cause I dont want to play one, its just not my bag and he said No man, I know. You dont need to worry about that. You do what you do. Be yourself and just play the music, you know what I mean? And be comfortable on whatever you want to play. Dont worry about that.

He did offer. He said You can play any of my guitars. Its not that I dont want you playing any of my guitars but I know how you are and youve got your own trip and you always have had. And thats kind of what I dig about you and I said Well, I appreciate that and Im just going to hold right there

from http://yesworld.com/2015/08/askyes-qa-with-billy-sherwood-25-august-2015/

Archived