Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick 3 vintage analogs

J. Dan

Ok, purely hypothetical. You have AP, EP, Hammond, all that. You can have ANY 3 vintage analog synths, but ONLY 3. Tuning and maintenance doesn't matter, weight and size doesn't matter, but performance does.

You want to cover as wide of a range of possibilities as you can with these 3. Think of all the various scenarios - mono/poly, hard sync, FM, filters, single/dual OSC, patch storage, modular......3 synths to cover everything.

What do you pick and why?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ARP 2600 - One of the most versatile MonoSynths without going fully modular. Enough keyboard range to cover most any solo.

Oberheim OB8 - Has that lush Oberheim sound with the most advanced features of the OB series.

Roland Jupiter 6 - Contrasting sound character to the OB8 with so many functions and performance features rarely found on other Polys.

I considered several other vintage Synths so without getting into GX-1, CS80, Moog Modular, or rack-mount territory I picked real world gear with patch-storage (where applicable) that I could actually conceivably obtain and make use of. Here are some of those considered and why they were ruled out:

Sequential Prophet 5/10/T8 - Great sounding, classy-looking, but low voice count so no splitting or layering on the 5. The 10 and T8 are major improvements in this area but most Sequential Synths lack staple Synth functions like Sample and Hold and VCA Modulation. As good as they sound I think the OB8 can cover this territory and exceeds in versatility.

Sequential Pro-One - Love this Synth but not enough versatility and short Keyboard.

Korg MS20 - Not fat enough sounding, short Keyboard, lacks important Synth functions even with patching.

MemoryMoog - The fattest sound around and the only three-oscillator-per-voice Poly.

They should have made this a mono synth as it is often just too fat and brassy sounding for chord work. It is also big in size with no split or layering. Kind of a one-trick pony but if you need the absolutely fattest in-your-face lead solos there is nothing that comes close except maybe a MiniMoog. I prefer the OB8's softer less fat sound.

Oberheim Matrix 12 - The only fully multi-timbral vintage analog Poly. Not quite as ballsy as the OB series but incredibly versatile. So I didn't pick this mainly because of the user interface. All functions are called up on pages so it is difficult to quickly change parameters on the fly.

Roland Jupiter 8 - A great all-time classic sound. I could be very happy with one of these but am choosing the Jupiter 6 for several advanced features not found on the JP8 which allow a wider range of sounds.

Oberheim OBX - Best sounding of the OB series and in general an all-time great sounding poly but I'll settle for the more advanced OB8.

Yamaha CS70M - The only Yamaha poly with patch storage and keyboard split. Fairly big sound and unique CS voicing architecture. The OB8 beats it out for big lush sound.

ARP Odyssey (white)- Love the sound and versatility of this Synth. Chose the ARP2600 because of three oscillators, four octave Keyboard, and patching capability.

MiniMoog - Love the sound, look, and feel. Better Keyboard length than many monos. Does certain things extremely well but I'm looking for more versatility.

EML Electrocomp 101 - Maybe the only four oscillator vintage mono. I could probably be happy with one of these but choose to go with the ARP 2600 mostly for the greater Keyboard range.

Elka Synthex - This a seriously versatile contender but I'm still sticking with the OB8 and Jupiter 6 combination.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

You have AP, EP, Hammond ...

You can have ANY 3 vintage analog synths, but ONLY 3...

You want to cover as wide of a range of possibilities as you can with these 3. Think of all the various scenarios - mono/poly, hard sync, FM, filters, single/dual OSC, patch storage, modular......3 synths to cover everything.

a)

Minimoog D (w/ Lintronics MIDI),- as my lead synth.

b)

Oberheim Matrix 12,- all in all the for me most versatile analog poly even there are some disadvantages compared to earlier OBies,- like software generated modifiers (most of the VCAs, the ENVs, LFOs and ramp generators).

But it´s dead-on functional for almost any poly-synth stuff, comes w/ 12 voices and there´s the Multi-Patch Mode most other vintage analoges lack.

2 Xpander is the alternative when someone wants CV/Gate as an option and when the right controller is available.

c)

Roland Jupiter-8 (w/ some MIDI retrofit),- it has faster ENVs and overall more complete analog signal path and significantly different filter sound than the Matrix-12/Xpander,- but lacks the Matrix/Xpander modulation abilities.

IMO, they complement well.

Well, a Roland MKS-80 rev4 did it for me too in the past and together w/ Xpander and Minimoog D.

I´d choose a 4th synth just only for the Oberheim State Variable Filter and fat tone,- the Oberheim OBX (poly) or the SEM module (mono).

And when I could have 5, the 5th would be a MOOG Taurus (1st edition) for me,- just only for the deep bass.

I always regret I sold mine too early and assuming I´d never need/use it again.

But when I can only have 3, it would be a), b) and c).

A.C.

Only 3. That is hard because vintage thingies have their little specialties that each are great at.

1) Jupiter 8 - It is the Jupiter 8. The brass is killer. I like the filters and the arpeggiator is killer. Roland's slider based interface was always my favorite. It does big slow layers and GREAT fast reactive sounds.

2) Memorymoog Plus - 18 Moog oscillators in unison is an awesome shredding machine. And a lead synth should have 61 keys.

3) PPG Wave 2.3 - It's a hybrid not just true analog but the sounds it could do were unique. It was a concept before its time because there was no affordable way to produce it at the time. But none of the modern iterations of wave table synthesis seem to have 'it'. Maybe I'm over romanticizing something I could never afford.

Others - I really want a Prophet on the list. It rules on softer pads and I like the Curtis. But the Jupiter can cover everything. I really want a ARP also because they do awesome edgy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Wanting synths that are new to me

Nord Lead

Nord Lead

Nord Lead

:hitt::D

OK seriously

Oberheim OB-SX (love the SEM based more but far from immediate to program in real time)

Waldorf Wave (well if CEB can have a PPG...)

Prophet T8 - always wanted one of these

Memory Moog Plus

Prophet 12

Oberheim OB8

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Minimoog Model D

Prophet 10

Yamaha GX-1 - you said weight is no object, right? :-)

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Yamaha GX-1 - you said weight is no object, right? :-)

In that case...this one will suffice:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nB0q3LdKET8/VmklG8Z40FI/AAAAAAABJjA/KkVwz2IK4FM/boardwalk-hall-organ-17%25255B6%25255D.jpg

:like: If you're gonna gig that thing, though, I'd hate to see the roadcase!

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

MiniMoog

Oberheim four voice

CS80

This, but make mine a 2 manual 8 voice because sometimes more is more.

:D

...or, as my friend Erik Norlander is fond of saying: "If less is more, just think of how much more more should be."

Tough to argue...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

JP-8 because it's enormous and versatile

Moog Modular - 'nuff said

Arp Odyssey - contrasting tone to the ones above

While I'm at it: Synths I wish I'd never bought, but that's all I could afford in the 80s

Sh-101: pretty useless, except it could make a good frying eggs sound with the noise generator

Korg Mono/Poly: what the hell was that?

DX9: a bit like a flat chested Halle Berry.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Memorymoog.

Matrix-12.

Prophet T8.

And of course I had to look up the Prophet T8, just to see what they're selling for; and there are two on reverb.com, at $4300 each :cry:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I won't consider the Minimoog Model D as a vintage analog any more since you can buy one brand spankin' new now. (How stinkin' cool is that! :cool: ) So I'd already have a new one, and my three vintage analogs would be;

CS80

Memorymoog

Matrix 12

><>

Steve

It's been fun reading your responses. Really hard to go less than about 5, isn't it? Although in reality, back then most of us couldn't afford more than one!

My initial thought befor I really thought about it was a mono synth, a polysynth, and a modular.

But then you realize all the pros/cons of each choice. Then I started thinking, do I really need a mono synth, or could a good polysynth or modular handle it? Well, technically a modular back then was typically mono or duo phonic.

I pretty much immediately decided I need either a JP8 or JP6. Pros/cons to each in sound vs features and midi/nin midi. Maybe a good compromise would be an MPG/MKS80 with a controller. So I suppose that's one pick.

Matrix 12 or Xpander certainly has to be in there for the modulation capabilities, multi ode filter, etc. of course an older SEM based or OBXa would be better in some sonic regards, but I think the Matrix 12 offers enough that it would be a great choice.

But what about the CS80? Man, hard to pass in that - after touch, sonic goodness, some pretty unique features. But I think with the other 2, I would instead go for a modular.

So modulars....thinking MS20, ARP2600, but then why settle for a semi modular? How about an ARP2500, or a Moog Modular so I could cover mini territory? I think I settled on the Moog Modular.

So there you have it:

Roland MKS80/MPG80

Oberheim Matrix 12

Moog Modular

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

...or, as my friend Erik Norlander is fond of saying: "If less is more, just think of how much more more should be."

Tough to argue...

dB

:D Hmmh, I see what you mean by more being more.

http://www.eriknorlander.com/img/erik_clr_modular_2016-900x600.jpg

I'll take a Mini because Rick, a Moog Modular because Keith, and a four voice because Josef (and Lyle). Who needs patch memory anyway?

Archived