Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ear Worm Help!

vonnor

Can anybody help ID this tune? It's some 80's/90's joint that's been in my head for days. It's driving me bonkers!

The pentatonic run-up is a hard oscillator sync sound. The rest is kind of a pad with a chirp attack.

Thanks in advance.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/r96_iOsukA0

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How bout now?

Yep, but I didn't recognize it

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know it. But here in the Netherlands we have a radio DJ which has an item called "dr pop", helping people with this kind of questions. He is insane. People can jus hum a few notes of a very obscure song and he knows what it is.

When you don't find the answer, you could send it to him:)

Rudy

quite a bit different but the hard sync part doing the upward run made me think of this:

[video:youtube]JWsRz3TJDEY

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks - now I've got that worm stuck in my head too!

It's nibbling at the nether regions of my mind - Depeche Mode, Boy George, Yaz/Erasure, or Duran Duran maybe?

Anyway, I (think) I definitely recognize that riff, but can't put a finger (or name) on it.

Sorry

quite a bit different but the hard sync part doing the upward run made me think of this:

[video:youtube]JWsRz3TJDEY

Buffalo Stance it is! J Dan FTW!

The part I had stuck in my head plays under the outro.

You guys are my heroes.

Gear:

It seemed familiar when I heard your version. Later I listened again and was thinking Paula Abdul, maybe. But then I re-read your post - I don't know if you edited it or if I just missed it the first time, but your comment about the Hard Sync line is what made me think of this.

Dan

Yeah I added a textual description in the edit. Thought it might help you real pros ID the song. :)

Gear:

Yeah I added a textual description in the edit. Thought it might help you real pros ID the song. :)

Don't know about the "real pro" part, but it DID help.

Dan

Wow, J. Dan. Impressive recollection abilities there. I would have never figured that out.

One of my many useless skills, LOL.

Dan

Congrats on finding the answer.

I thought of posting this earlier but your guess playing didn't entirely point me to it. It has a similar synth 'run-up' but without the hard sync.

I've always liked this song

[video:youtube]

A better looking singer than you see in most rap songs. I remembered the video if not much about the song for that reason alone.

:like:

Dan

Funny, I listened to my clip and just realized the pentatonic run-up is from Mr. Mister "Is It Love" which I played in a band back in the day. My brain was mixing the two licks together. :P

[video:youtube]

Gear:

Archived