Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WTF is actually happening here?

Markay

Link to G'N's performance of November Rain where Axl stops the song due to the top octave piano notes.

My thoughts are the 2nd keyboard player has hit the transpose button.

Guitar Player story and vid HERE

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea Axl and Slash were working together again.

This was a pretty horrible glitch. Would not have happened with a real piano! :D I don't know if they still do or not, but once upon a time, Springsteen's crew would mic up the grand piano and then use it to trigger Ivory(?). The backup plan was to cut over to mics if the shit ever hit the fan.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

saw them here in Dallas.. It was actually a great show, and hearkened back to their heyday.

Axl sounded good and was actually fun and funny with the audience.

This glitch did not happen at the Dallas show.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I never heard a keyboard trigger it's own notes. Sounded like a kid tinkering on the high notes.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I never heard a keyboard trigger it's own notes. Sounded like a kid tinkering on the high notes.

Yes, that didn't sound like a transpose button issue. The notes sounded random.

Did I see two backing keyboard players in that video?

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Maybe having guys cover the parts from their rigs frees up axl to concentrate on the showmanship and his vocal parts and he could beat all who knows what on that unmic'd piano and the FOH gets covered by the other players? Or maybe a lot is sequenced and syncd to whatever other stuff they have pre-tracked and the wrong shit got triggered.

There's still something to be said for acts that share the wealth and put enough musicians on the stage to get the studio version happening live. I know small acts can't afford it - but surely GnR can have 3 backup singers, 3 synth players covering orchestral parts, no sequencing or backup tracking needed. Journey and others could do it too, there's a lot of $ coming in from their very popular and well attended shows.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

FWIW, I thought Axl was appropriate and good-natured about it, and "can we stop it at least?" was a pretty sane request.

It did sound vaguely random, but it also sounded like someone who thought he couldn't be heard poking around in half-steps to find the key the song is in. (It's in the "correct" key of B, so maybe the previous song had been transposed...?)

Band sounds great. It's always a minor shame when former rockers get polished and professional, but the flip side is--man, do they sound polished and professional. I'd still go see them any time.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

At 7 minutes you can see the crew bringing in the backup piano.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I had to retire a Moog Source because it would do that. Never could get it fixed. Years later I found help on the internet. Turned out to be a common problem with corrosion messing with a digital pathway. Too bad that by then it had spent 20 years in my parents basement. Now it is a wall hanging.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I thought Axl handle this great, and with humor.

The line about ghost a gremlins, but they could at least learn the effin song was hilarious.

Here's a pic I found of their current stage setup (with Axl's piano still below the stage)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/gunsnrosesstagedetroit2016_638_zpszwzhihlm.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

No kidding. Often if a helicopter is going over my house and the pilot is talking on the radio, I can hear that radio through my computer and head-phones just like I was listening on the other end of that radio!

It continues until they are far enough away, so accidental signal transference very well could be!

:o:wacko:

How's about a MIDI glitch? One of the keyboards possibly responding to some gibberish data sent on another / OMNI channel intended for another piece of gear?

This was my first reaction. They do have three keyboards in the new lineup, but all doing different things - Axl is the piano guy, Dizzy mostly does Hammond and percussion, and Melissa triggers synths and samples I think.

I never heard a keyboard trigger it's own notes.

Oh, plenty of times. Though not the explanation here, if you accidentally call up the wrong patch on some boards or brush against the wrong button, you can suddenly set off an unintended arpeggiation or sequence or rhythm pattern, which I have done.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Had a listen to another phone vid of the song from the Layla segue intro and it sounds like the tinkling comes in at the same time as the synth strings patch.

Curiously after the stop it continues a couple of times even though the strings can no longer be heard.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

How about this? Turn off the power... Turn it back on...

If it's still sounds like shit. Turn it off... Leave it off. And cover with the 30 other keyboards around you.

There are techs on the lighting crew who's job is to watch the moving lights and identify any lights that are not responding. They reset the light... If it still does not respond, they shut it down. It's hard for me to believe that there are no sound techs doing the same.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Here's a pic I found of their current stage setup (with Axl's piano still below the stage)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/gunsnrosesstagedetroit2016_638_zpszwzhihlm.jpg

I'd blame it on the wookie......... :taz:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Archived