Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Organ Riffs

RABid

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some that come immediately to mind...

Grand Funk - Flight of the Phoenix:

[video:youtube]

Grand Funk - Footstomping Music:

Grace Potter - Big White Gate (not really a riff, but love the tone):

Niacin - I Miss You (Like I Miss the Son):

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Thank you for making me aware of this group. I always love when the Hammond organ is used in a more mellow, softer way. I honestly prefer it instead of genres where the Hammond is screaming and loud. Now I have to go get myself a Niacin album. Any recommendations?

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

These are all awesome! But even the simplest little riff can be quite effective. I couldn't imagine Don't Worry without the signature organ riff.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Nice one Dave! Didn't think I would see some Joe Walsh-era James Gang mentioned here on KC. ;)

Why not? Joe played Hammond on this one. He is a very good player. I use these two songs as a good example of Leslie overdrive.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thank you for making me aware of this group. I always love when the Hammond organ is used in a more mellow, softer way. I honestly prefer it instead of genres where the Hammond is screaming and loud. Now I have to go get myself a Niacin album. Any recommendations?

Blood Sweat and Beers. Live Niacin with killer arrangements of Birdland, You Keep Me Hangin On and Miss You Like the Sun. There is a live DVD of this concert as well. Great performance. Billy Sheehan, Dennis Chambers, and John Novello are all monsters .

Here is the live concert.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

These are all awesome! But even the simplest little riff can be quite effective. I couldn't imagine Don't Worry without the signature organ riff.

Not organ but a synth. I thought the same thing as I have been playing this for 20 years. It's the same sound on "Who the Cap Fit"

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Nice one Dave! Didn't think I would see some Joe Walsh-era James Gang mentioned here on KC. ;)

Why not? Joe played Hammond on this one. He is a very good player. I use these two songs as a good example of Leslie overdrive.

Ah, please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your selection - I love those two tracks too, and the way they're played back to back on the album. ;) I remember listening for the first time after getting hooked on 'Yer Album' and 'Rides Again' albums and just feeling so satisfied that these two great organ-led songs were combined.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Joe is a great player. James Gang rocks!

Archived