Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Roland Engrish

torhu

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked the succinct explanations of parameters.

"The filter cutoff is used to adjust the filter cutoff"

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Ever see the Roland D-70 manual? An instrument I'm sure designed by people downing large amounts of sake and a manual written by people doing the same.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Copylight :)

Recently browsed the JUNO-106 manual, it's classic too.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Are you referring to the term "earthed"? Earthed = grounded in the UK

Your post caught my eye, because I met a local (i.e. Edmonton, Alberta) jazz drummer who told me that in the years that he worked for Roland, he wrote the fp-8 manual.

Someone told me that the reason Roland manuals were so incomprehensible back in the '70s was that they were transliterated from Japanese to Dutch and then on to English. No idea if this is true, but it would explain a lot.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I remember hearing way back that the manuals were translated from Japanese to French and then into English. Don't know how true that is now, but the Jupiter 50 manual I'm now reading is complete garbage. There are some YouTube videos with Scott Tibbs and Steve Fortner that have taught me more than the printed swill.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Sensei may he Rest in peace, was in one of his moods and running us ragged about 15 years ago. We were doing a bunch exercises and running. There were these 3 poor white belt 20-somethings from Rockford who came to this 3 day workout we were having in Chicago. Sensei had lived in the US since 1968 but his accent never improved much. He asked these guys to recite the Dojo Kun while we were doing push-ups. The Dojo Kun is a form of poetry that outlines the basic philoshphies and principles of our particular school of Goju Ryu. Those poor dudes had no idea what he was saying. Sensei never liked having to repeat himself. He yelled at them 'Whata Matta You No Speaka Engrish!.

This was going on behind us. All us senior blackbelts were upfront on our knuckles in the front leaning rest position trying to not laugh because he was in one of those moods and if he heard us seniors laugh we all would have really paid for it. He was tempermental but my God that little Okinawan was the best Karate Man I have ever seen and I trained under some of the best in the world.

Kompai Sensei!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Please explain to me (step by step, "like i'm five") why the subject line is racist.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I'm not really sure and I have been involved as a gaijin with the Japanese community through Japanese koryu budo, Judo and Okinawan martial arts for 42 years. Poking jabs at stereotypical accents isn't polite.

Different cultures are overly sensitive to different issues based on their history. In US you have an oversensitivity to anything racial due to her history.

In Russia you will find the same over sensitiveness in religious issues based on her history involving various forms of religious persecutions. It was never a question in Russia of whether the band Pussy Riot would go to prison. The question was just for how long.

In Hungary you may have your own set of sensitive hot button issues based on the past.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'd like to know which sentence in the manual is being poked at. I didn't notice anything myself, and my English is pretty good. This manual is an incredible improvement over Roland manuals from the 80's!

I always liked the succinct explanations of parameters.

"The filter cutoff is used to adjust the filter cutoff"

Yeah, me too! Especially for those parameters where I had no idea what they meant (unlike filter cutoff). These days with google we at least have a way to figure that out, but back in the day, it was a lot more work. What I remember was something like this, from say JX10 manual:

"The xxxx parameter adjust the xxxx of the tone."

Repeated ad nauseum for most of the parameters ...

p. s. Sorry to say , but I am uncomfortable with the subject line.

would have to agree that one grammatical error should not cause a racist subject line as it does in this case

Indeed, I avoided this thread for a few days that very reason.

Same, and in fact only clicked over right now when I saw you were the last poster, because I wondered if you might be calling this one out...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

p. s. Sorry to say , but I am uncomfortable with the subject line.

would have to agree that one grammatical error should not cause a racist subject line as it does in this case

Please take your disgusting accusations elsewhere, let's keep this forum civilized. Thank you.

For those who are not clear on why this isn't "racist", let me elaborate: For starters, it's not about race, it's about language. Obvious, right? "Engrish" is a very real phenomenon, it's caused by differences in Asian languages and English that mean they will sometimes mix up the English R and L sounds. Google it. It's kind of like when Germans prononounce the V's as F's when speaking English. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Claiming this is "racist" is like telling a Japanese guy it's racist of him to laugh at the Swedish Chef.

Let's get back on topic, please?

Please take your disgusting accusations elsewhere, let's keep this forum civilized. Thank you.

well, since you directed this at me, tell me , what exactly is your topic? I'm anxiously waiting your answer. :snax: (not really)

:nopity:

For those who are not clear on why this isn't "racist", let me elaborate: For starters, it's not about race, it's about language. Obvious, right? "Engrish" is a very real phenomenon, it's caused by differences in Asian languages and English that mean they will sometimes mix up the English R and L sounds. Google it. It's kind of like when Germans prononounce the V's as F's when speaking English. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Claiming this is "racist" is like telling a Japanese guy it's racist of him to laugh at the Swedish Chef.

You should quit while you're behind. :cop:

And all this could be fixed by changing the subject line to "Classic Roland English". :pop:

The poorly worded/translated Roland manuals speak for themselves.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Poor translations are always something that irritated me. It really can't be *that* difficult to find a tech writer native to Japan/China/Whereever who has basic English skills. At the least, get some English-speaking college student who will work for peanuts or as an intern to look over the document. A professional company, especially one the size of Roland, shouldn't put out Engrish (or Frenchish or whatever). It's like having typos in a resume...on one hand, you might say "what's the big deal"....but even a small thing like that indicates a lack of attention to detail. It would make me wonder what *else* they couldn't be bothered to get right....

When I visited China some of these were hilarious. Restaurant names like "Cheer" or "Happy food" etc. (I think they just look for positive-meaning words and tack them on everywhere!) My favorite was a warning sign in a restaurant showing a mop and bucket and a person slipping on them. The caption was "Landslide" :)

Well, at least the OP didn't title it "Crassic Roland Engrish." God knows the crap-storm THAT would have elicited.

I'm one of those weird throwbacks that enjoy ethnic humor, as long at it's not over-the-top mean-spirited. Hell, I'm Polish, so I'm used to it.

When I was a kid, we had a saying that went something like, "sticks and stones may break my bones..."

Some folks say Asians invented bigotry and racism, so there you go.

Lighten up, Francis.

And don't get me started on Canadians...

I'd better put on my flame-retardant suit now...

I promised myself I would stay out of this, but I just want to say that I want the old Keyboard Corner back. This is turning into a politically correct minefield. Everyone is so damned touchy.

WTF?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Back on topic: My recording platform is the Roland VS2480. I actually love it---have four of them. BUTthe manual is beyond useless. Its enough to drive you Earl Battey. Ironically there is a VSPlanet forum which was a great resource. AND the folks on that forum NEVER get bogged down in the bitchfest that often occurs here. Everyone helps each other figure out the machines. Ive been helped and I have helped. Helping is actually more rewarding than venomous snark.

There is a steep learning curve to suffer through on the VS machines----one guy actually wrote his own manual and shares it with whomever.

Bottom Line: For the most part, Roland has always done an extremely poor job with manuals.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Archived