Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key B Organs, what's happened to them ?

Chris Towns

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Vanderschoot,

Top man sir.

Next time you are in London, contact me via this Forum and I will take you to see an English soccer game (on me of course).

Which team ? The clue is in the Avatar !!!

Chris

Hi Chris, that is very nice of you !!!! I love to see the Spurs in action hahahahaha.No i am a big fan of Arjen Robben and i read somewhere he was playing for your club. Sorry but i am in a funny mood during a little brake. Get rid of John Terry and the likes and you will be more than fine next season with your new gifted Italian coach. Hope Guus will at least give your players a more positive mindframe after Maureen and his escapades of this season.....

André

One thing about the KeyB. You turn it on and it sounds great and the Leslie sim is incredibly good. Point is you don't need to spends hours, days, weeks, twerking or tweaking it. Kudos to Elvio there.

One thing about the KeyB. You turn it on and it sounds great and the Leslie sim is incredibly good. Point is you don't need to spends hours, days, weeks, twerking or tweaking it. Kudos to Elvio there.

That was certainly my impression the one time I played one at NAMM a couple years back. Even through headphones, it was damn inspiring.

It IS good. But for the type of music I play, I need more of a closer miked vibe Leslie sim. I asked Elvio Previati if it would be possible to download a different Leslie algorithm in a firmware update . The answer was unfortunately no. The amplitude modulation is just a hair better than my Nord Electro 3. That one NEVER gets played without a Vent.

So for me, and I know I´m by far the only one, it IS a big issue not being able to tweak it. Also asked about adding sustain (heresy I know if being a purist) as I need it for a Pink Floyd Tribute thing where I need to cover a lot of parts sometimes. The answer was no here as well.

So what happens? BOTH sustain and a close miked Leslie setting is featured in the new KeyB Legend. Very nice that they take note but that won´t help me.

That´s why I´m extremely impressed with HX3 and Carsten & Co.

They are really in touch with their customers. They listen, implement and improve the thing all the time.

Yeah, and you can tweak it.

KeyB seems like the only company who thinks that EVERYBODY will love their settings written in stone.

Big mistake IMHO, as everyone has THEIR idea of the ideal Hammond sound.

A shame as the core sound of the KeyB is killer.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The new sound engine is a vast improvement over the original KeyB engine. The top octave is killer now , full and balsy. I will creatie a new topic with close ups of the controles and more. Not all great foto's , but Elvio was so nice to let me take them while explaining all i asked. I went to his booth for the second time, because i had forgotten to ask a few questions. It seemed he was very pleased with the interrest from all you guys.... again stay tuned ... I am typing this from my brother's car on the autobahn back to Holland.

Hi,

I hope the players on the Key B stand at Frankfurt are sorting out some (good quality) videos to be posted on Youtube for us all.

If Vanderschoot see's this post could he ask them nicely.

Chris

So far no Musikmesse 2016 videos of the Legend (or Live Mk II).

In the meantime, here are some links to prior Legend videos:

Valentina Bartoli 2014:

[video:youtube]

Francesco Lo Giudice 2014:

Alberto Marsico 2015:

There are also 2 Legend videos by Pat Bianchi at his Facebook site:

June 3, 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/patbianchijazz/videos/10206555043020045/

June 17, 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/patbianchijazz/videos/vb.1390206437/10206653892211213/?type=3&permPage=1

Nice sounding. It will be interesting to hear and feel who has the most authentic sound + touch among the clones (including the Hammond XK-5 clone). Possible if DLQ gets into some US stores via Viscount.

I will creatie a new topic with close ups of the controles and more..... again stay tuned ... I am typing this from my brother's car on the autobahn back to Holland.

We're looking forward to your in-depth report!

Dennis

Hi all,

I shot short cellphone vid of the Legend at Messe:

https://www.facebook.com/juhapekka.palmulaakso/videos/1019436671424900/

There is *lot* of overall noise in exhibition halls of the Messe, so it's impossible to make any further decisions. But I have to say that even without real leslie and thru this lousy phone audio path it sounds absolutely great.

J-P

Hi J-P,

Thank you for posting this video of the new Key B Legend from Frankfurt. It is the only video currently on any Forums and despite the background crowd noise is a great effort on your part. It's really appreciated.

I rang Elvio last week and he told me that videos had been made and were going to be posted up for everyone to see. My only issue is when ? Most other Manufacturers posted their videos within days of Frankfurt Messe ending. It seems strange that it's taking so long for Elvio to get his posted.

I also spoke to the owner of Viscount in the U.K. at their Bicester distribution centre (the Italian Company that has signed a deal to assemble and distribute Key B organs around the world). He told me that he did not know Viscount Italy had signed this deal and was not aware of Key B organs !!! I gave him some information about Key B and he said he would get back to me.

You could not make this up, it's comical !!!

Chris

....other Italians do it better ! (-> Crumar !)

Let's say "typical Elvio" ?

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

.... The exception proves the rule (correct english?):

Uhl Instruments -> VERY professional !!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Hi,

I have ordered a New Key B Live Mk2 from the current U.K. Distibutor (Musicworld, Northampton) and I'm hoping it will be available in September, although I'm not confident they will be ready by then. I'm in no hurry, as long as I get one eventually.

The KeyB (DLQ) website is up and running, although it appears to be several years out of date. They list models like the Duo and the Live Mk1 which as Elvio pointed out to me in a phone call are no longer made, and he has no more stock of. I am wondering how difficult it would be to update the site, and to include the new Legend and the Live Mk2.There are some photos of these models, but they appear on the Facebook page.

Chris

Seeing the KeyB is like seeing a rare white tiger. It shows up at the trade shows and "poof" disappears! And the "Legend" goes on and on and on.......

Yeah, but what a magnificent Legend it is!

Even the recording through the cell phone (thank you Valotus) shows the organic quality of the sound and the fullness of the tone.

But there's also a business side which needs to be taken care of, and the website of DLQ is definitely one of the things which is in dire need of an update.

See but again like everything else it's not that accessible. I had a bitch of time buying one a few years ago with email's and phone calls. How much of that is worth it. IF you can't buy it off the shelf it doesn't matter how good it is. No offense to Pat or anyone.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Are y'all suggesting that Elvio is the guy actually writing the DSP code behind the KeyB organs past and present? That he also currently assembles the hardware components himself to put together the instruments he drags to the shows? If that's the case, I'd be more than shocked that a guy this bright can't slap together an up-to-date website with info on what's happening with his company and products. No? Wouldn't actually having closed a deal with Viscount be something he'd be broadcasting?

I'm on the KeyB facebook page right now. We have a shot of Valentina Bartoli and Alberto Mariso, then a "glad the show is over" pic of a nice bowl of pasta - well earned I am sure - but not exactly, "I just closed a major deal and everyone in the world is going to be able to get their hands on a KeyB soon."

On the upside, it sounds really good!

And on another positive note, Viscount Instruments does have a US presence,

http://www.viscountinstruments.us/

I assume this is how the Physis Piano and K controllers are getting to US dealers. In fact, they recently named Joshua Dove (Stony Point, NY) new US Director of Sales, http://www.viscountinstruments.us/news/salesdirector/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Are y'all suggesting that Elvio is the guy actually writing the DSP code behind the KeyB organs past and present?

The new DSP platform is developed by norwegian company Ultrafunk which supposedly also have ported the code written by Elvio. Besides that I think this has been a single man operation.

Are y'all suggesting that Elvio is the guy actually writing the DSP code behind the KeyB organs past and present? That he also currently assembles the hardware components himself to put together the instruments he drags to the shows? If that's the case, I'd be more than shocked that a guy this bright can't slap together an up-to-date website with info on what's happening with his company and products. No? Wouldn't actually having closed a deal with Viscount be something he'd be broadcasting?

He almost certainly is bright enough but if I were doing all that product development, coding, manufacture and everything else besides I'm not sure where I'd find time in the day to put together a website, let alone update it!

Having owned and played CV's, C2's, C3's, and B3's, I am totally and completely happy with my DUO MK111. However, the thought of it ever breaking down sends me into a cold sweat. I'll be moving to a new house soon and I'll be transporting this thing by ambulance on a bed of cotton balls sandwiched between two memory foam mattresses. Other than that......

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Hi,

Just like London buses, you wait for one for ages then loads arrive at the same time !!!

After speaking to Elvio, he say's that there is a small problem with the recording sound which they are trying to sort out.

Chris

p.s. The Key B Legend and the Live Mk2 have exactly the same sound engine therefore will sound identical.

I'm privy to some of the business struggles that Elvio has been through in the last few years, including the terrible treatment of him by DMI. The fact he is still in the game is remarkable - what a resilient human being.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Archived