Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key B Organs, what's happened to them ?

Chris Towns

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I'm complaining but, why is the Legend so much cheaper than what I paid for my Duo MK111 ($5k if I remember right). Isn't the Legend supposed to be an upgrade? Confused.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Actually, if it's true I AM complaining :).

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Not that I'm complaining but, why is the Legend so much cheaper than what I paid for my Duo MK111 ($5k if I remember right). Isn't the Legend supposed to be an upgrade?

AFAIK, because of totally new internal architecture (= more effective design of hardware...) and larger quantity of production.

There will be so much empty space inside of the Legend they just can't ask more $$ for it... ;)

Was KeyB using off the shelf PC parts in their original line as well? Is his collaboration with Ultra Funk all about getting his code onto a DSP platform? This, a streamlined assembly line, volume of orders and proper distribution ought to bring it down in price to somewhere competitive. If you ask Crumar, a single manual clone with with one set of drawbars and a few extra EP sounds is $1499. Hammond SK1 is $1899, Hammond Xk-1c = $1395 and the Studio Logic Numa Organ 2 is $1099. So, I think Crumar is right. So what is the right price point for the Live Mk2 - I'd say $1399.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I am a huge fan of Key B. After 5 years the sound engine in the Numa 1 continues to amaze me, so I am eagerly awaiting being able to hear these new offerings.

The Mojo is a great clone, but I lean toward the Key B. Perhaps there is not so much "cut", but the emphasis is on a warm fat sound. I was always impressed by this. Key B has what I look for in Hammond emulation.

I would like to see a definitive price quote. 1800 for the Key B Live sounds outrageous. Actually I would opt for not having the rocker switches. The buttons that Numa uses have been fine.... no issues for 5 plus years.

The KeyB Live Mark II is dual manual so your price estimate may be a bit optimistic:

https://www.facebook.com/166116646869/photos/pb.166116646869.-2207520000.1462955805./10154060560661870/?type=3&theater

Fair enough, my bad. I guess I meant whatever their single manual is going to be called... KeyB Solo mkIII was the previous incarnation, right?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If an organ can do jazz, it can do anything.

I don't know about that... I don't think you can necessarily get a great Emerson prog rock sound out of an organ that does great jazz..

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Emerson got it out of an L100 as I recall. I am pretty sure that most current clones can get pretty close to an L 100 sound.

I think a lot of that prog rock thing is in the speakers and amps. John Lord used Marshalls to do what he did. The organ he used would have done jazz, but he did the grunge thing with it.

I actually have not heard many clones with a great overdrive feature. My favorite was probably the Roland VK8m with 4 different amp types.

So I go back to the amp/ speaker thing. A few years back people were buying tube preamps with master volume function etc. There were some youtube videos incorporating tube mic preamps being used for overdrive.

I think the best way to get a "prog" rock sound is to go outboard with an instrument that would be good enough to do jazz.

Archived