Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overheard at last night's jam session...

stoken6

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basic guitar sans theory should be mandatory for keyboard players.

That would be Bm6/G AKA as G to keyboard players.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

how does that make sense?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

:idk My guess is that maybe the guy simply looked at the first chord and thought the flat in Bb looked like a 6........ :facepalm:

Was the next song in F-Hashtag?

Here for the gear.

Horsesh!t.

Established notation theory has been present for decades, every musician have been trained on it for decades. Indolence on a guitar player's part to learn notation that has standard in the industry does not justify the rest of us learning a new language on our part.

I'm tired of guitar players who are too damn lazy to learn theory and notation, and then re-invent the wheel and browbeat that their system should be followed by the rest of the world.

Rant over, had to get that out of my system...

B6 = two B3's

Boom! :laugh:

I play with one band who give out the setlist with the key of each song on...which most of the time is the first note of the song....other times it seems totally random...like F# for something in A...I take my own list...

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Sounds like this new church group is a collusion of musical outcasts from parallel universes. You've got a bunch of real prizes in there.

It's my cross to bear in life. Heavy sigh. :idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Or possibly basic theory should be mandatory every guitar player. :)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I'm just a weekend warrior hacker, but I can't imagine playing even with amateurs, let alone a gigging band, where the players don't know basic music theory like chord names and what key a tune is in. If I was playing with people who said a tune was in F# when it's really in A, I would immediately correct them. If they can't get it right, I'd be outta there.

In order to play music with other people, we have to be able to speak the same language. If people don't understand what key a tune is in or how chords are named, it's like trying to have a musical conversation with someone who only knows Indian ragas ... in a rock band.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Handbags and Gladrags is a lovely piano piece. I'd never heard it but I learned it about a year ago for some schmuck diva lead singer dude who cobbled together a huge cluster-f*** "All Star Jam" charity show with him as the diva singer for a birthday bash in his honor. the cluster was 30 guitar divas, 10 bassists, 5 drummers, and me ...

he's actually a nice and cool guy. i kid about the schmuck. but he is a diva, they all are :)

but he schmucked that song because after I took time to learn it he dropped it from the sets just before the show. so i'm left playing stuff like Come Together or All The Young Dudes, which is cool but not as fun as Handbags to play.

ok, rant over. hey thanks for startin a new rant thread today, guys - that was fun. I like that song, anyway.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm just a weekend warrior hacker, but I can't imagine playing even with amateurs, let alone a gigging band, where the players don't know basic music theory like chord names and what key a tune is in. If I was playing with people who said a tune was in F# when it's really in A, I would immediately correct them. If they can't get it right, I'd be outta there.

In order to play music with other people, we have to be able to speak the same language. If people don't understand what key a tune is in or how chords are named, it's like trying to have a musical conversation with someone who only knows Indian ragas ... in a rock band.

I actually get a fair number of song lists in professional contexts where the "key" listed is whatever the first chord is. I can usually guess that they're wrong, but a simple email usually clears up any questions before the gig.

I don't usually find the "amateur"/"professional" thing very informative. There are careful and educated amateurs (who maybe just happen not to play well enough to make the leap), and there are sloppy and haphazard professionals (who maybe just happen to play so well that their shortcomings don't hurt them that bad). The trick is just to make sure you have whatever information you need to do the best job possible.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I agree I have known many pros, who I would be happy not to work with again

I prefer to work with the better part of the professional musician pool.. and not having the term amateur would just make it all the more difficult to cherry pick.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Handbags and Gladrags is a lovely piano piece. I'd never heard it but I learned it about a year ago for some schmuck diva lead singer dude who cobbled together a huge cluster-f*** "All Star Jam" charity show with him as the diva singer for a birthday bash in his honor. the cluster was 30 guitar divas, 10 bassists, 5 drummers, and me ...

he's actually a nice and cool guy. i kid about the schmuck. but he is a diva, they all are :)

but he schmucked that song because after I took time to learn it he dropped it from the sets just before the show. so i'm left playing stuff like Come Together or All The Young Dudes, which is cool but not as fun as Handbags to play.

ok, rant over. hey thanks for startin a new rant thread today, guys - that was fun. I like that song, anyway.

I used to gig with a guy who did this all the time.....I'd show up for a gig and there would be another keyboard player, 2 or 3 guitarists (in addition to him, he played REALLY crappy acoustic rhythm guitar), two drummers, a percussionist, 2 or 3 chick backup singers and a couple of horns.Also you had some guys in the band that had been playing for years standing next to guys that had been playing for months. All this and he wanted to wing stuff like Steely Dan tunes with no charts.....I uninvited myself from participation after a couple of gigs.....

My guess is that maybe the guy simply looked at the first chord and thought the flat in Bb looked like a 6........

And xKnuckles wins this round - B flat is the right answer! Although for all you geetar-knocking types, he was actually a singer.

Anyway, they decoded the B flat, decided to do it in A instead, and also throw in a sax solo (now that the baritone would conveniently be playing in F# instead of G).

Go figure.

Cheers, Mike.

Horsesh!t.

Established notation theory has been present for decades, every musician have been trained on it for decades. Indolence on a guitar player's part to learn notation that has standard in the industry does not justify the rest of us learning a new language on our part.

I'm tired of guitar players who are too damn lazy to learn theory and notation, and then re-invent the wheel and browbeat that their system should be followed by the rest of the world.

Rant over, had to get that out of my system...

Agree, but I have yet to find a way to suggest that in friendly way.

I do my own charts and only comment if it sounds wrong in rehearsal and then I pick up a guitar and play the chord I think it is.

I find that many self taught guitarists try to teach themselves a little bit of theory with some well intentioned but occasionally bizarre outcomes.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

30 guitar divas, 10 bassists, 5 drummers

He obviously liked Phil Spector, but was looking for something a bit less intimate?

Cheers, Mike.

watching this clusterfab of 30 guitar divas (yes, they were equally divish) bump one another on and off stage, 2 to 4 at a time, every 3 or 4 songs, so they could overplay their bits (because they only had 4 songs or so each so gosh darnit they were gonna make it count!) almost was worth the price of attendance.

from an audience point of view, it was just a trainwreck of a show. i found it all rather amusing. only later did i realize the reason i was the only keyboard player is because most keyboard players are smarter than this.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Theory should be mandatory for guitar players. Then they could call themselves musicians. And Bm6/G = a G major triad (decrypted)? Are you kidding?

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Archived