Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any cool Christmas gifts?

Justin Havu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty well set for hardware for the moment (Don't tell my wife I said that! :laugh: ) so this year it's all about the virtual synths. I pulled the trigger for Arturia's V Collection 4, which includes 13 virtual synths and beat boxes. A few of them I probably won't use much or ever, but getting that many for $99 was kind of a no-brainer - It's almost iPad app cheap!

And as I mentioned on another thread, I also got the virtual Wavestation VST, as well as the iM1 and Gadget for the iPad. That's a whole lot of synthability for less than two hundred bucks! :cool:

><>

Steve

Kind of kitchy, I guess, but I got a kick out this gift my sister gave me. It's a Peanuts snowglobe, with Schroeder driving a black car with his grand piano in the back. So, it's like me driving to a gig with my gear in the back. I drive a black car and I have blonde hair (closer to gray these days). If I had a Nord piano the whole fantasy would be perfect (my piano is black)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIyOVgxNjAw/z/LyMAAOSw4HVWESas/$_35.JPG

I sort of inadertantly gave myself a present by dropping my wife's iPad 2 (which I use for chord charts) at my last gig and busted the screen. It was almost 5 years old so I bought her a new Ipad Air 2. I decided this was powerful enough to be the basis of my couch potato studio (for doodling during NFL and PGA viewing ). Just iPad, one CCK cable, Samson Graphite 25, Cubasis and a few soft synths. Extremely portable and flexible scratch pad for song ideas. Have it on vacation with me in the hotel room as I write this. :thu:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

My girlfriend of just a few months now got me a great gift, the book The Complete Beatles Scores, with full transcriptions of all their songs that are at least reputed to be pretty accurate. (Knows I'm a Beatles fanatic and that some of my favorite gigs are when I get to play with a particular local Beatles tribute band, on some of their rare shows when they are budgeted for and want to use a keyboard player.) Of course I"m cocky/confident enough to think that the parts I've worked out by ear are pretty darn close already, but there are a few that I've found very challenging to "cop" and always wanted to see a good transcription for (including Billy Preston's organ wailing under much of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)") so am looking forward to checking out the book for. Anyway it's just a great addition to the ol' book collection, perfect gift for me!

Enjoy the Beatles Scores.

In the early 1980s, I used to play with a Beatles tribute band (The Mystery Tour). Learned the keyboard parts closely as possible. The most fun keyboard parts were:

Side 2 of Abbey Road - lots of piano, strings and horns.

Sgt Peppers - two simultaneous horn parts (played one on a Moog Prodigy and the other on a KORG DL-50)

Obladi Oblada - detuned piano

Got To Get You Into My Life - horns

Get Back - Wurli piano

Love Me Do - played the harmonica part with the Moog Prodigy

Back In The USSR - white noise cut off and piano

There's likely many more - my memory slips a bit. Fun times indeed.

Steve Coscia

Where I come from, Christmas isn't popular for gifts, but anyhow, the great Xilinx (A big manufacturer of programmable chips) decided to make a free version of their FPGA (programmable logic chip) programming software that allows an EE to take a C program, and "silicon compile" it into a logical chip circuit so as to quickly make efficient chip logic. That should work with my cheap Zynq (dual core 600 MHz ARM processor + potent FPGA) board into a very capable experiment board for accelerating mathematical computations as there's a math library of logic cells too, so as to do various sound synthesis experiments without having to spend a lot of work on creating chip designs from logical building blocks and hardware description languages.

If that all doesn't mean anything, you can wait, maybe I'll make a nice example, or ask, or basically forget what you just read.

It's a pretty cool Christmas gift, though. Especially when it all proves to work without having to get some sort of PhD for getting the various parts to actually work together...

T.

[video:youtube]

Haven´t got it yet but it´s on the way...

Big thumbs up to Metallica´s Rob Trujillo for investing 5 years in making the documentary about the man who revolutionized the electric bass!

Can´t wait to see it!

Interviews with Herbie, Joni, Bootsy, Wayne, Flea and lots of other "first name" celebrities" :)

Jaco Pastorius is one of my favorite musicians and composers.

And THE dude on the bass !!!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I got FleXor3 modules for SCOPE Modular 2 & 3 systems running in SCOPE 5.1 and on S|C XITE-1.

FleXor 3 audio demos

Module List

FleXor3 highlights

it´s polyphonic when needed ...

combinable w/ all the other modules comin w/ S|C stock modular synths 1, 2, 3 and 4 as well as all the freeware stuff available for these modular shells.

A s##tload of great sounding patches already included.

Keeps me busy for the year 2016.

A.C.

I bought myself a Radial D2 and a quality stereo cable with 90-deg connectors on one end, had my wife wrap it so my kids could give it to me.

they didn't get the big deal of it but they get its for my keys and playing shows so they were excited to give it to me. and i guess its not, just gig accys I hate to just buy for no reason.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Easy replacement, two solder joints and one screw. Cheap, too.

Are you in the U.S.? Order from tonewheel general hospital, get house brand Hammond oil too.

Wes

Capacitor has been successfully replaced. Also connected the line out from the expression pedal to an RCA to 1/4" adapter, then to a standard DI for recording. Works well.

Still need to get some oil, though.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

For the few that might be into these things and possibly understand it's meaning: the $99 ZYnq/FPGA board has correctly tested a FPGA-program that was made from a C function! So that makes me a bit happier.

There are so going to be sine waves and oscillators in that programmable logic+fully functional Linux board.

T.

Archived