Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern substitute for QSC K10 ?

frogmonkey

Hi folks, long time, no see.

It's been years since I paid attention to new powered speakers. I've been using a K10, but I imagine the technology has been copied by now, and that there are more economical options by now that produce the same result.

I'm researching for a student, who plays at open blues jams and sometimes has to compete with multiple amature guitarists for volume. It needs to be capable of loudness.

$700 or less (preferably less).

Lightweight.

Can you point me in the right direction?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can find the ZLX 12P online for around $300.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have two of these Alto's (see link). They're great. I previously had the QSC K10---liked it, it was stolen.

I'm totally happy with the Alto's. Usually I only use one---and it's plenty.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts110a-600w-10-2-way-active-speaker

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Been using a ZLX for I think 3 years now. Total work horse that I use for my keys rig as well as the practice/coffee house PA.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Nice!

With the K10, you don't get the full loudness potential out of it unless you use a mixer with a preamp to boost the input signal.

I like the looks of the ZLX's gain knobs, sweeping from line to mic level! Can they get really loud without a mixer or preamp?

This is generally total overkill but...

Twice I have played keys through the new EV ETX series. They eat the old QSC K series alive. They are competitively prices withe the old Ks. They are overkill but a lot of fun.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

With the K10, you don't get the full loudness potential out of it unless you use a mixer with a preamp to boost the input signal.

Wrong, just switch to mic level & back off the gain a bit.

Yeah, maybe I'm being lazy about precisely figuring out my gain-staging, but I usually run into trouble when I try that. And it only works for one of the two inputs.

It needs to be capable of loudness.

$700 or less (preferably less).

Lightweight.

Can you point me in the right direction?

RCF 310 A mk III

$500.-

RCF US website

They are loud and frequency range of 50-20.000Hz is @+/- 3dB point, not +/- 10dB like most others are,- so for a 10" woofer, these have a suprizing low end too.

A.C.

your post is interesting. Your driver seems to be a more economical equivalent to the K10 but you are willing to spend up to $700, although preferably less. There is nothing wrong with the K10 other than its inflated price point. Newer speaker technology does sound a little better, I guess, but not game changing better. For me I couldn't justify the nearly 2x price of the QSC over the EV I purchased. When you can get two for the price of one and the sound quality is identical (or slightly better) why would anyone spend the money on the K10? If QSC would discount the speaker to a competitive price people might not look at other alternatives. The EV ZLX series can be had for $350 and the ELX series for $400; why would anyone spend $700 for a speaker that sounds no better and costs nearly twice as much?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived