Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leon Russel's kb rig in a piano shell

Mike Davis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like an Alesis QS8.2, painted white.

Yes! Thank you!

I was trying to remember where I've seen that slider and button layout before. Just checked some pictures of a QS8.2 after seeing your answer. That's it!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I still own one, which is how I recognized the button layout. I wonder if he's using any of its internal sounds or just using it to drive the laptop?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Just saw him tonight from the front row. There were several modules between the EV monitors that he tweaked. There was a pedal board with several continuous controllers that he used to bring up varying amounts of layered sounds. The laptop had a setlist (which might have changed patches on the MIDI rig). All Hammond sounds came from his guitarist (no Idea what he used, could only see the end-cap).

The main sound from Leon's rig was layered pianos, any string/synth/etc. tended to be very low in the mix.

His old rig looked like something out of a space movie. This one is a lot more low profile and pleasing to the eye. I opened for him a number of times. That old rig of his was legend. . .it looked like it was devised in Junkyard Wars. It sounded great though. He had about 7 old Roland metal Exp. pedals and he would bring in various layers and drum samples at various times - similar to that Vangelis CS-08 vid. posted recently.

Here is a shot of just the left side of his old one, all I could find right now :

3530337950_0f45b29771.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

What I really like about the rig is the two monitors, positioned perfectly for him to hear his DP just like a real piano, probably in stereo. And just as good for hearing his own vocals.

No, not in stereo! Please say it isn't so! :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived