Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Close to perfect

Dave Bryce

I'm hosting a couple of jams shortly, and I've been playing around with which keyboard and sound systems to use. In doing so, I think I've built the best sounding most versatile rig I've ever put together - especially easy considering that it doesn't have to move. :D

The keyboards are:

Kawai KG-2C parlor grand

Crumar MOJO

Korg Kronos

Kurzweil PC3

All the synths are running into my Yamaha M06 mixer, which is running into the SSv3. The full range out of the SSv3 is running into one input of a QSC K12 under the piano pointing away from the rig...but only turned up a little bit, and with the filter set so only the highs get through. There's a mic on the piano's soundboard, running into the other input of the K12, also with the lows filtered, but turned up enough so that the piano wil cut over the other instruments (including drums). The K12's throughput is running to a Motion Sound SW15 sub woofer under the SSv3, which is turned up juuuust a little bit.

I've also got a deceptively simple looking guitar rig with a bunch of power. The guitar is a Line 6 Variax Acoustic modeling guitar, which is running into an Alairex HALO for distortion, then an Eventide H9 multi-fx unit (under the control of my iPhone). That whole rig is then run into the audio ins on the Kronos.

Unbelievable sound. :cool::keys2:

The interesting one is the Variax rig through the SSv3 - the stereo effects sound unreal as I walk around the room.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/IMG_4376_zpsea5ahf0n.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/IMG_4378_zpstkpssjwy.jpg

Yummy. :love:

Only missing a real analog.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking forward to the videos! :poke:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Where is your Leslie?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I believe the K12 is made by QSC and not Kawai. Otherwise, looks and should sound great. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah, but what does it sound like in FOH? (literally....the front yard). :rimshot::D

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

dB

If you're truly wanting it part of the setup I'd consider moving the Mojo opposite the Kronos/PC-3 ditching the music shelf. Then go grab one of your Andromedas or Pro2 for on top of the piano. Or not - very nice either way :2thu:

I assume the "other" room setup is still intact?

Which sounds are you using the Kronos for and which sounds are you using the PC3 for?

It's all over the place. My PC3 has all sorts of splits and layers for my live gigs. Same with the Kronos...but on most tunes, the PC3 does piano and piano like stuff, and the Kronos does everything else. Both handle synth duty pretty well, though.

If you're truly wanting it part of the setup I'd consider moving the Mojo opposite the Kronos/PC-3

Can't, really - I'm out of audio inputs. :idk::eek:

Then go grab one of your Andromedas or Pro2 for on top of the piano. Or not - very nice either way :2thu:

Meh...for what I'm doing here, the synth stuff I get out of the Kurz and Kronos is more than sufficient, honestly.

I assume the "other" room setup is still intact?

Entirely. :)

PC3, Kronos, Mojo, SSMK3... Except for the grand, it's my gig rig..! :-)

Three out of four are mine...and if I could justify a double manual organ in the live rig, I'd add the Mojo in a heartbeat. That thing freakin' roars. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Invite?

You're too busy, go back to work!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived