Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pink Floyd The Wall

The Real MC

A local theater group is performing Pink Floyd "The Wall" so I offered my services on keyboards. I always loved this music and looked forward to the rare opportunity to perform the keyboard parts live. It is a challenge.

I am using zero sequences, I perform all the parts in real time including Bring The Boys Back Home and The Trial. To pull it off this was the minimal rig I could get away with. I have to play some parts with my feet on the Taurus pedals which is sometimes used as a MIDI controller. Everything is MIDI controlled, with all my MIDI configurations stored in the Kurzweil MIDIBoard. One press on the MB and I am ready for the next song.

All the board and modules (with exception of Andromeda with onboard FX and Taurus pedals) have independent stereo FX. The FX for the analog synths switch on the fly for each patch.

Boards:

Kurzweil MIDIBoard master MIDI controller

Hammond XK3/XLK3

Alesis Andromeda

Moog Memorymoog

Moog Taurus 3

Oberheim OBX

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/tour/epac-pink-floyd-the-wall-rig-6.JPG

Racks from top down:

Rack 1:

FX for OBX: Korg SDD-3300 and Lexicon PCM60

Rack 2:

FX for Memorymoog: Korg SDD-3300 and Eventide 2016

Alesis Datadisk for sysex backups

JLCooper MSB+ MIDI matrix

Rans SM82S

Rack3:

Dynacord CLS-222 Leslie Simulator for Hammond

Rack 4:

Kurzweil 1000AX through Lexicon PCM60 (set to plate reverb)

Kurzweil 1000PX through Lexicon PCM60 (set to room reverb)

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/tour/epac-pink-floyd-the-wall-rack-1.JPG

It is known that PF used the P5 and ARP Quadra on The Wall, but I am convinced that they also used the Oberheim SEM polysynth as my OBX nailed some of those sounds.

Because of the huge bass synth and orchestral parts, I had to haul my Bose PA system to reproduce the sounds.

I offer no apologies for the huge pics :cool:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that's quite the rig. Do your bandmates ever bitch that it takes you longer to set up than the bass player?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Wow...not messing around indeed. Very.Cool.Rig. :2thu:

TRMC, If there are any audio excerpts from the show to post, it'd be great to hear them.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

You're getting payed, right? :2thu:

Nah it's volunteer. But I'm playing with some former bandmates and really enjoying it. Plus I was getting tired of southern rock and this is a good outlet.

One thing I love about MC, he always travels light.....

One thing I love about Marshall, he always goes easy on the respectful ribbing...

I bet 'One of My Turns' sounds great on the OBX.

Fits like a GLOVE

Are you the only keyboard player in the band?

I, for one, wouldn't want to be the poor schmuck called to share keyboard duties, who showed up with a single midrange rompler on a cheap X-stand & share the stage with someone playing THAT rig! I think I'd have to go and hide if I walked in & saw that. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Are you the only keyboard player in the band? Tough job! Very cool setup. Have fun!!

I was hoping they would at least have a second player to do piano parts while I was playing the orchestral parts in stuff like "Nobody Home"... took some thinking how to arrange a MIDI setup to work that out. The SOLO and MUTE buttons on the MIDIBoard came in REAL handy for that.

There are plans to get video of the last show, they have released DVDs in the past. Not sure about quality audio capture... Be nice to have some footage of the band at work since we are behind a wall and the audience can't see us most of the time.

Are you the only keyboard player in the band?

I, for one, wouldn't want to be the poor schmuck called to share keyboard duties, who showed up with a single midrange rompler on a cheap X-stand & share the stage with someone playing THAT rig! I think I'd have to go and hide if I walked in & saw that. :laugh:

Haha yeah can really see that image!

Rudy

Are you the only keyboard player in the band? Tough job! Very cool setup. Have fun!!

I was hoping they would at least have a second player to do piano parts while I was playing the orchestral parts in stuff like "Nobody Home"... took some thinking how to arrange a MIDI setup to work that out. The SOLO and MUTE buttons on the MIDIBoard came in REAL handy for that.

You really managed to play the piano and orchestral parts by yourself "on nobody's home"? wow, must be a real puzzle to figure that one out.

What do you use for the piano in your setup? Or does the Kurzweil has onboard sounds?

Rudy

Archived