Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord

stev77

Opinions??? best Piano? it sounds great I find it expensive

KURZWEIL PC-3/KORG KROME 88/YAMAHA MOTIF XS SOUND MODULE/ROLAND I7 MODULE/ROLAND VK8M ORGAN MODULE/ROLAND A8OO MIDI CONTROLLER...UNFORTUNATLY WISH MY TALENT COULD MATCH MY GEAR:(

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:snax::snax:

there have been maybe, one or two posts on this very subject

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Our newest member seems to be in output-only mode. Hopefully read mode will be engaged soon so he can immerse himself in all of the answers to his many questions that have been discussed at length, so he can become an informed and valuable member of the community. :cool:

Our newest member seems to be in output-only mode. Hopefully read mode will be engaged soon so he can immerse himself in all of the answers to his many questions that have been discussed at length, so he can become an informed and valuable member of the community. :cool:

What took you so long?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Red stuff. The Lead 4 looks like a lot of fun.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Sure, but he does allow me to say. Nord - overpriced. does everything well except acoustic piano. trendy. top end action - NOT.

Let the flaming commence. Won't be the same without dBon. :Python:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Severely over priced. But unique in weight, size, simple one-function-per user interface, aluminum and redness. Nord's intellectual property delivers nice organs and synths, but the sampled sounds leave something to be desired. FX are decent. Action is same Fatar sourced as most everyone else that doesn't build their own keyboard actions.

But they can charge what they like because none of the big boys have made an honest attempt to compete with Nord. Roland put out the VR-09 but cut corners to keep it under a grand. Hammond doesn't offer any actions other than ones best suited for organ play.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The black ones are pretty cool.

http://www.iheartsynths.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nord.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Nord - overpriced. does everything well except acoustic piano. trendy.:

I couldn't disagree with this more. Nord AP's are superb - try listening to them through a good set of headphones.

You do need top class amplification to get the best out of them, (I mean $$$$$), and most people don't spring for it, they go for the tried and trusted K10, or EV.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Nord - overpriced. does everything well except acoustic piano. trendy.:

I couldn't disagree with this more. Nord AP's are superb - try listening to them through a good set of headphones.

You do need top class amplification to get the best out of them, (I mean $$$$$), and most people don't spring for it, they go for the tried and trusted K10, or EV.

SSM

the space station changed all that for me... I have fallen in love with my nord AP's - specifically the fazioli XL - WOW, just WOW... who'd a thunk?

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Are Nords actually built/assembled in Sweden ?

If so that probably goes a long way towards their high end price, as the cost of living and hourly pay rate in Scandinavia is amongst the highest in the World.

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

Won't be the same without dBon. :Python:

What happened to dbon?

I think he is on a break. There was a thread about it, but I can't find it anymore. I believe he is doing fine.

Rudy

http://www.lamborghinimontreal.com/img/global/photo_lamborghini_01.jpg

Lamborghini - overpriced. Does everything well except haul gravel. :cool:

You guys crack me up. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If so that probably goes a long way towards their high end price, as the cost of living and hourly pay rate in Scandinavia is amongst the highest in the World.

Oh yes, they are indeed. Cool place to work, no?

[video:youtube]

What happened to dbon?

I think he is on a break. There was a thread about it, but I can't find it anymore. I believe he is doing fine.

He's not really gone if we find a way to remember him. For me, I think of him every time I watch the Muppets...

http://i62.tinypic.com/ncy1zn.jpg

There's some funny stuff in this thread!

Nord overpriced? I've owned a bunch of them. Never felt they weren't worth the money. But that's everyone's decision to make for themselves. The point was made above, and I think it's valid, that while the other manufacturers make keyboards that tend to line up head to head with each other, Nord occupies it's own niche. The closest I've seen is the Hammond SK as competitor to the Electro.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

What happened to dbon?

D seems to take breaks from time to time. Some are voluntary, some are not. Either way it's probably good for him.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

He's not really gone if we find a way to remember him. For me, I think of him every time I watch the Muppets...

http://i62.tinypic.com/ncy1zn.jpg

I woulda thought he was more of a Waldorf guy. Or does he not like the filters?

ummmm... If he does have a filter, I've never seen him use it. :laugh:

Once you go red you never go back.

I had a Nord Electro 2 73 for years. Had one of the very first Nord C2's in the USA, bought it sight unseen from the dealer, they hadn't opened it either. Had a Nord Wave for a year. Don't miss any of them. YMMV :snax:

:nopity:

What happened to dbon?

D seems to take breaks from time to time. Some are voluntary, some are not. Either way it's probably good for him.

After his last contradictory reply to one of my posts, I sig'd him. Could it be the reason? What d'ya say, Dana?

Here for the gear.

Oh yes, they are indeed. Cool place to work, no?

[video:youtube]

They are assembled in Sweden, yes. The keyboards come from Fatar Italy and the main circuit boards are made elsewhere (you can see the guy pulling out the completely assembled board attached to the front panel). The assembly resembles building a PC, if you've ever done that. All keyboards are hand assembled--no big deal. A very few are handmade. What difference does it make that it's done in Sweden? Tokyo is probably the most expensive real estate in the world. Workers in China make Apple products for a fraction of the cost to do it elsewhere. Does that impact quality? It all comes down to quality control standards.

I was amazed to see the Electro 5 HP selling for $3,500 US. That's a bold price tag considering the CP-4 can be had for $2,000 and $3,500 is Kronos 73/88 price range. Also consider the US dollar is the strongest it has been in ages, which should bring DOWN the price of imports. The Electro is their entry level keyboard, with an entry level action and it now sells for as much or more than everyone else's high-end boards.

Busch.

No argument here. Severely over priced is how I feel about them new. But until Yamaha and Korg get serious about bringing weight down (CP4 is a proper effort), without resorting to completely plastic build, and refining the user interface to one knob/button per function and dropping multi-level menus... And styling them with a little eye for desirability (that the guitar manufacturers have known about for years).... Well then, they can charge what they like and it appears the market will bare it.

While we're on the topic of the big boys and missed opportunities, why is Roland so stingy with their Super Natural library?. They need to rethink strategy. Here Nord is saying take what you want from our sample library (wether you think it's good or not is another debate) just buy the keyboard and the sounds you want are yours to use. While Roland is passing their sounds out piece meal, fewer and fewer of them as you go down the product line. And they don't even have an Integra keyboard with sizes and actions to choose from. Where is the 88 or 76k weighted action Jupiter? I know the heritage of the name is very synth-centric but at least that board is loaded with Super Natural stuff.

Anyway, it's a stretch to consider dropping over $4k on one keyboard, red or otherwise, even during refund season, even if it's deductible on top of that.

FWIW, the price thing really doesn't enter into my calculus for a variety of reasons, the primary one being you only live once. On my deathbed, I'm not expecting to say "well, I got a really good deal on XYZ keyboard".

Music is my passion, period.

I tend to look at this as I do a sports car: you can go cost-effective, or you can make a lifestyle choice. I show up to all my gigs all-red, and I never have a second thought as to the equipment I've brought.

Your mileage may vary.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

FWIW, the price thing really doesn't enter into my calculus for a variety of reasons, the primary one being you only live once. On my deathbed, I'm not expecting to say "well, I got a really good deal on XYZ keyboard".

Music is my passion, period.

I tend to look at this as I do a sports car: you can go cost-effective, or you can make a lifestyle choice. I show up to all my gigs all-red, and I never have a second thought as to the equipment I've brought.

Your mileage may vary.

no longer all-red here and I will find the best price available, but could not agree more...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Archived