Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Styx Come Sail Away solo help on creating patch

c4racer

Any advice how to create a decent patch for the middle solo section of Come Sail Away on a Yamaha S90ES?

I am using a performance and splitting the keyboard into 2 sections so I can play the chords underneath with left hand and then do the solo on the upper half of the board.

So far I'm using Feeling lead as my base and tweaked a few things including adding porta to it. Trying to match the live version more than the studio track, and it has to cut through a relatively loud band.

The part that I am tripped up on is the part that has all the overlays to it - seems like it goes through a big delay loop, is that a pedal effect?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its multi tracked, in the studio for sure. Live, not listening to the version you're talking about, I'm sure he's using a delay to eat up some of the sonic space.

You need 3 parts to this, not 2. The key to making the string part work is the Ab in the bass underneath the Ab Gb chords. Grab a Solina/Arp String Ensemble patch, add some phasing, and you're there.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

its multi tracked, in the studio for sure. Live, not listening to the version you're talking about, I'm sure he's using a delay to eat up some of the sonic space.

You need 3 parts to this, not 2. The key to making the string part work is the Ab in the bass underneath the Ab Gb chords. Grab a Solina/Arp String Ensemble patch, add some phasing, and you're there.

Also remember that live these days. JY Young is playing pads and effects from the second keyboard attached to the drum riser during the trippy synth breakdown part that Lawrence is playing.

They do the same after the first verse when the strings/flutey sounds play with the intro riff again before the 2nd verse.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I played this on a Nord Lead and used a delay pedal to get the overdub thing happening. It was a somewhat "horn" like lead sound I created. Take a saw, bring the filter back and add some attack on the amp envelope.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

ya - pretty much what I did, but I used 3 stock sounds - mellow analog, OB horn and the lead horn with some saw and porto in it. Sounds pretty good.

I am going to try the delay pedal, but I am also playing the chords with my left hand while doing the solo from the same keyboard (split patch) so that will likely muck it up too much. But might be able to stop doing the chords underneath in the second half of the solo or something. Guitars are doing the rhythmic 8th note parts.

use a phased string sound and split the board, the effects are not common across a performance like that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

A delay pedal won't work unless you have zone assignable audio outputs. Like Dan says the delay isn't across all zones.

FWIW Dennis in the 80s didn't use the delay. He generally used a saw lead with more edge and noodled more to fill the space. Guitars also twined alot of the leads parts if I remember correctly. The 'new' guys does things more like the original studio parts than what Dennis did, at least in the 80s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Myself, having played this in a cover band in the 80's with two keyboard players, I would not worry about all of the delays going on in the background and just do the split and play the backing chords and lead line and be fine with it. Only the hard cores will know the difference.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

you can condense the Solina chords to one or two keys, which will give you more key range for the french horn and flute parts. I used 4 layers tuned to the triad + bass note. I don't know if the S90 can do this, but I also set the chords to change automatically by making the triad layers(not bass note) from a variation of the Solina patch that shifts down and up a whole step in tempo. You can pedal this and set the other parts to ignore pedal while you play over it.

Dennis' MiniMoog was customized with some sort of oscillator that allowed it to produce a high-pitched tone along with the normal Moog oscillators. If attempting to replicate his MiniMoog sound you may want see if you can add this detail. Keyboard did an interview with Mr. DeYoung many years ago where he mentioned that this modification gave him his trademark Synth sound.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I thought the lead sound was an ARP Odyssey.

Actually, it's a Korg Kronos. (at least in my rig, it is)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 3 years later...

We started doing this song. We are doing a shortened version of the middle synth section. Im using 3 zones for the pads, lead and delay synth.

I would like to add the falling ricochet type sound that comes in right after the first Ab. Ive spent some time trying to reproduce it using the bender to drop the sound, but cant seem to get very close. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Im using a RD-700GX and a XV-5050 live.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Man there is are a few bitchin FM lead factory patches on the Montage. I use one of them for that part and it handily gets the job done. I know FM didn't even exist back then, but if it sounds good, it is good!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I would like to add the falling ricochet type sound that comes in right after the first Ab. Ive spent some time trying to reproduce it using the bender to drop the sound, but cant seem to get very close. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I did this recently. Setup the Solina for LH with the horn & delayed heavy synth lead sounds split for RH. I created the fall / bend that you're talking about, along with the big fall at the end of the solo & then sampled them & assigned them to unneeded, but easily reached keys on my Kronos.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

We started doing this song.

Honestly curious as to why. Does it go over well? I played it while I was in High School when it was current (mid/late 1970's) and then in a classic rock band up until 1995. It's not danceable so I'm curious as to how this song fits in. :idk

:nopity:

We started doing this song.

Honestly curious as to why. Does it go over well? I played it while I was in High School when it was current (mid/late 1970's) and then in a classic rock band up until 1995. It's not danceable so I'm curious as to how this song fits in. :idk

Yeah good point. Nobody is dancing to it. We play great dance tunes and this is an exception. We also have Closer to Home on our list but rarely play it.

The BL decided we should do it a couple months ago and it took me that long to get around to learning and building the patches. We have been getting a good response to it even though they dont get up

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I've played this song for a couple of years now. It either goes over great or is a lead balloon. In a crowded bar if your singer can get everyone singing the opening verses you're golden. If not, it can be very spinal tap comical.

Watch the Styx live stuff. The guitar players actually play some of the keyboard parts on guitar and also add a little bit of keys. Give your guitar players something to do while you're flying the starship.

If you planning to be 100% accurate to the record it will really take some programming. I do it on Mainstage and it takes some creative mapping to get all the stuff. There's 1 or 2 phasey strings, two lead programs and then all the fills that are just one note up or down using either LFO or an envelope assigned to pitch and mapped to a single key or trigger (I think I used LFO's because I couldn't get the envelopes to change the pitch enough).

I've also done a cut down version on a Nord Stage 3 which doesn't come anywhere close to having enough zones but it nails the sound (I guess you could get creative with patch changing to get all the sounds but I haven't attempted it). I don't think anyone notices the difference but me.

It's really a challenging bit to pull off with all the different parts. I almost guarantee the first time you do it live you'll screw something up.

As an aside, I see a lot of guitar players play the 3 chord pattern during the chorus wrong. It's C, F/C, G/C even on the guitars (not just C, F, G you slackers!) index finger barre'd along the 8th fret throughout. Totally changes the sound of it.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

All the best rock came from the midwest.

Please elaborate.

Kansas...questions?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Archived