Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are we in danger of a split?

Aidan

I can't trust my personal information to Facebook. You shouldn't either.

Tom

I'd go much farther than that and venture that you shouldn't trust you personal information on ANY website at all.

There are a multitude of robots crawling and archiving everything, including KC - not just the major search engine players.

When you google my real name, aside from the things that I am proud to have there - professional achievements, community involvement, etc., there are old USENET posts that I made when I was barely out of my teens in the early days of the internet. These have been archived and reside on a server somewhere which google has indexed.

A silly comment that I may have made twenty years ago is available for all to see and attribute to me essentially in perpetuity... and that is why I will no longer ever post anything unless under a screen name.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am more worried of all the new members and this place losing its identity as a place for musicians just not talking about gear.

New members aren't a problem, surely? And it's up to the people on here to talk about other issues (isn't it?) if they feel there's too much onus placed on gear etc...

Yes true to an extent but this place is better because it has a lot of working musicians at pro or even semi-pro levels posting. I would hate to lose that because I saw it happen over at Harmony-Central in the mid-2000s. There was a huge division over there after a while between guys in the trenches and kids playing in their parents basement.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yes true to an extent but this place is better because it has a lot of working musicians at pro or even semi-pro levels posting. I would hate to lose that because (...) kids playing in their parents basement.

That's always been a white elephant in the (virtual) room about this place for me.

On the spectrum of musicians, I fall more towards the 'kids in the parents basement' side. What I always loved about this place is that I was able to run ideas/questions/thoughts by those of you who have done this for a living for thirty years without ever being made to feel like a nuisance (save from one or two ever-crotchety forumites); I just figured that those who found my comments too elementary would just justifiably ignore them.

The advice and camaraderie I've received here is astounding.

I'd kind of like to know if most of the regulars here would prefer this to be a pro-only boys' (and a few girls') club.

However, Facebook is creepy. They perform tests on their users without users' knowledge. When caught, they may apologize, but they continue doing it. LINK

I can't trust my personal information to Facebook. You shouldn't either.

Tom

* That is creepy; but not at all surprising. If my KC forum posts were sifted and analyzed, keyboard salespeople would be appearing at my front door in person. :crazy:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Fair enough but we were all kids playing in our parents' basement once.... I get your point though.

When I was a kid playing in my parents basement, there was no internet. There was a phone, but I had to have one of those really long coiled cords if I wanted to move around.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Fair enough but we were all kids playing in our parents' basement once.... I get your point though.

Newbies are fine but we have had countless new people come in and throw their weight around. People that have been here for a while eat them up and spit them back out, I have seen it time and time again. The dont always end up staying or get banned. Thats how forums are.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Joe who and why does he break the forum? :idk:

I like FB for what it is, but I really can't do FB groups. Even when stuff stays relatively on topic (and it usually doesn't), I find myself more annoyed by the stuff in groups than anything. In most groups that I'm in, I've turned notifications off. There are some neighborhood groups I'm in and despite the lack of anonymity, some people are willing to say just about anything to stir up crap. Or they just get snarky with each other. Or everyone wants to plug their restaurant. I also tend to think FB's format of the groups just doesn't work for me in that kind of communication like a real forum does.

I suppose if dB wanted to, he could create a new Keyboard Corner FB group, have it be secret from the start, and only approve members who are us, the real KCers. Maybe rename the old one "Keyboard Center" or something.

Another option as a forum backup is to create a forum on one of those free forum sites (some of them aren't bad) and that way those who don't do FB could join too. We'd only use it when this place is down. I know of a forum where I could easily do that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I suppose if dB wanted to, he could create a new Keyboard Corner FB group, have it be secret from the start, and only approve members who are us, the real KCers. Maybe rename the old one "Keyboard Center" or something.

Hmmmm...not a bad idea....

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

can I still post pictures of my 150 casio and Yamaha personal keyboards from the 90s?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

can I still post pictures of my 150 casio and Yamaha personal keyboards from the 90s?

Where is the Like button? :roll:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Newbies are fine but we have had countless new people come in and throw their weight around. People that have been here for a while eat them up and spit them back out, I have seen it time and time again. The dont always end up staying or get banned. Thats how forums are.

Or sometimes maybe the newbies just leave because the regulars here make this place feel like their private club.

That's how forums are.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

That has been true here sometimes but what I said before happens more. Part of it is inflection, you can't always tell from someones posts what their intention is. My post count is nothing compared to other guys because I had an account before I started posting a lot, probably 2 years. I was at HC since 2001 when there was a lot of activity. HC was very hostile for a little while ( I caused it sometimes, ask Eric! :rolleyes::facepalm:) but this place was relatively easy to make your way into.

noblevibes.com

I recall my Business Economics course stating that it's a good idea to distinguish the various phases of profitability of a product. Say when it had just started, this forum was getting attention from pioneers. Probably it would make more sense to somehow make money from the interactive activities going on than a print magazine, and in that sense if people feel free to join an interact, without passing through the rites that come with the powers that be, milking something of KC would make sense. However, there's no money involved, so what kind of economics would be applicable ? Maybe that's why service people have other types of prices, places, product differentiation, etc.

T.

Joe who and why does he break the forum? :idk:

I like FB for what it is, but I really can't do FB groups. Even when stuff stays relatively on topic (and it usually doesn't), I find myself more annoyed by the stuff in groups than anything. In most groups that I'm in, I've turned notifications off. There are some neighborhood groups I'm in and despite the lack of anonymity, some people are willing to say just about anything to stir up crap. Or they just get snarky with each other.

The only reason I use FB is for the Casio PX-5 Group, we have 1800-ish members. The posts are 95% about the keyboard, anyone having problems, and solutions. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Mike Martin drops in on a regular basis, and there are a few people on here that I recognise from there, even though they use different names on here.

I can't comment on any other FB groups, as I have only used the one, and I must say it is excellent.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Or sometimes maybe the newbies just leave because the regulars here make this place feel like their private club.

That's how forums are.

I really haven't seen a lot of that here. Yes there are some inside jokes, but I have seen nothing but goodwill and a welcoming attitude to new members. Of course sometimes a new member may be trolling or being snarky and then gets smacked around a bit, but that happens to anyone who behaves like that -- no matter how long they have been here. As far as forums go, the Keyboard Corner is one of the most friendly and fun ones around... in some forums you can't even post a simple question without getting hit with a sock full of pennies.

... in some forums you can't even post a simple question without getting hit with a sock full of pennies.

Here in Canada we've done away with the penny. I don't have enough of them around to fill a sock...

... in some forums you can't even post a simple question without getting hit with a sock full of pennies.

Here in Canada we've done away with the penny. I don't have enough of them around to fill a sock...

I've always used quarters, makes my point more succinct. ;)

At this point, I figure anyone from KC that was going to join it already has.

Right... I guess I was the only one still missing :D

I've always enjoyed the pace and feel of internet bulletin boards (forums, whatever) a lot more than social media stuff like FB, MySpace, Instagram, etc. Most of the time I cringe as I interact on Facebook, it's uncomfortably lame.

+1

When I was a kid playing in my parents basement, there was no internet. There was a phone, but I had to have one of those really long coiled cords if I wanted to move around.

Hey Dan - we must have been in different basements together. :laugh:

I do remember that at 11:00 PM the neighbors across the street would call the police to complain about the "noise". Cops were always banging on my parents door telling us we had to stop. :cop:

Then they would come downstairs and hang out with us for a few minutes, have a beer, catch a contact buzz, oogle at the pretty teenage girls, and tell us they were very happy we were all there instead of running around on the streets. :thu:

:nopity:

This was the very first forum I ever joined, almost ten years ago. It is the only one where I still use my original password!

I dig FB, it is a great way to keep in touch with friends all over the world. But I never check the KCFB page.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Good to see that KC folks are staying put. If y'all had gone over to FB, I'd miss you -- but I wouldn't follow. I'm from the ASCII Generation -- I remember when 110 baud was impressive, and 9600 baud cost $1000 a month. Heck, I still tend to call KC a "Bulletin Board." :-)

Kenny, I feel your pain. I try to "own" my postings, including the stupid ones.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Oh how I wish that facebook and twitter would dry up and blow away.

I heard the two are merging. :laugh:

http://blog.heyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/twitbook2.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived