Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are we in danger of a split?

Aidan

FB is fine for posting a pic, or a joke, or a link for messing around or whateve......similar to some of the OT stuff here.

Exactly right. As one whom has benefited greatly from this forum (and long before actually joining - felt the high level of musicianship apparent from the posts warranted quietly following and observing for quite some time before presuming to post), and as one whom has benefited oh-so-little from FaceBook, this seems clear:

If you want to see pics of cute, ugly or angry cats, FaceBook is the place; if you want indepth insight from informed, experienced and diverse musicians, this is the place.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to see pics of cute, ugly or angry cats, FaceBook is the place...

One's experience on Facebook, and one's opinion of Facebook, is obviously highly dependent upon the group of friends one has on Facebook.

By the way, here's a picture of my cat. :)

http://www.fototime.com/C0E9A6DD6D1900E/medium800.jpg

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Here's a photo of my dog. She's outrageously intelligent, very hip, and gets rather cranky when I come home late at night.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/Rodie%20222%20%20copy_zpstnopndsw.jpg

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

This forum is almost always running first spot of Safari on my iPad. I've never thought of trying to find this group on FB. I don't even have the FB app installed to conserve as much storage space as possible for all the synths, samplers, effects, and DAW's on the iPad.

FB gets maybe a half-hour, three time per week. I'm browsing this place several time a day. I like it better because I can glance the topics in less than a minute and pick one or two at a time.

Thanks to everyone here that contributes questions, ideas, and silly thoughts.

as much as I like the 'old school' feel of this forum, it pisses me off that guys are still afraid of putting their name out there when stating their views on the open internet. You can't get away with that on Facebook, so I'll have to give the nod to Facebook there.

Uh-oh. Kenny must REALLY not like me; I post to the FB group under my pseudonym from an alternate account set up specifically for groups...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I also didn't know there was a Facebook page... No interest in going there. I like the forum the way it is.

It has been a bit quiet lately, but I figure things just ebb and flow. I still think it's the best forum out there.

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

as much as I like the 'old school' feel of this forum, it pisses me off that guys are still afraid of putting their name out there when stating their views on the open internet. You can't get away with that on Facebook, so I'll have to give the nod to Facebook there.

Uh-oh. Kenny must REALLY not like me; I post to the FB group under my pseudonym from an alternate account set up specifically for groups...

:hand::facepalm:

Let the Facebookification of KC continue!

http://oceanbeach.com/temp/alley_oop_scowly.png

Scowly bastard came with the house. We fed him for years and then one day he disappeared. We choose to believe that he packed up his little kitty suitcase and retired to Florida.

I think they both have their place.

I like the increased activity on the FB page very much, but it wouldn't prevent me from visiting this forum...if anything it inspires me to come here more.

For example I just watched a video on the Crumar orchestrator...pretty cool stuff, and the very next thing I did was come to check out the forum and find this thread.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

There is another aspect to the Forum v FB debate. The forum site is a Newbay asset and if I were selling advertising for NewBay in the KB Mag and online site I would be promoting this forum as the most active keyboard forum on the web and a place for advertisers to get in front of committed keyboard players many of whom regularly buy new gear.

And every time someone searches any Keyboard related subject posts (or sigs!!) on Google posts on this forum are usually on the first page of results. Every click on one of these is another visitor here and traffic is what advertisers look for.

If we head off to FB well FB get to sell our posts and traffic to their advertisers. We all know traditional media's revenue models are getting hammered. This forum represents another way for a print mag to generate digital revenue. Shifting the traffic to FB eliminates any opportunity for Newbay to monetise the value in this forum and offset the costs of running it.

As for the generation debate FB's fastest growing demographic is amongst the over 60's. Good place to swap pics of your cat with with Mum and Dad.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I didn't know there was a FB page until I read this thread. This place is great - for someone (relatively) new like me the advice on here is indispensable. The years of experience that some of you lot have just jumps out at you in the comments/posts. Helped me out on a number of occasions - long may it continue.
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

I'm not sure I could access the FB page anymore. I became part of it when it looked like the KC might be going away, using my MrNightime FB account.

I cannot log in using that account. There was some security issue, and they kept asking me to upload a picture of my driver license in order to reactivate.

No Way In Hell!!!

I go to FB once in a while, but it's very maddening. I'll see something using my tablet, then want to look at it again using my PC, and can never find it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

There are other reasons not to use a real name on a forum. I once had an ex-girlfriend call my boss and tell him about my posting on the Corner during work time. I made a new forum name for a while, but he told me that he has not problem with my production and not to worry about it. He just does not want everyone else at work knowing, so better not to use a real name.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The use of screen names is as old as the internet. I am sure there are many here who, like me are also KB mag subscribers, so SF can track us down in 30 secs if we transgress.

There are also plenty of false ID's with pics on FB. Using a 'name' is no guarantee of identity. All the scam email I get is from someone with a 'real' name.

Every community has a few people that want everyone to adopt their version of the rules, this place is no different.

In a public forum like this we are assessed by other members based solely on what we post. It is up to each member to decide what additional personal information they wish to share.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

FB is OK if you want to look at pictures of a house stuffed full if pianos and cheap keyboards. :D

hundreds of them...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Anybody who's been on here long enough knows my name and that my Avatar has a history related to my bands and this forum. Anybody not on here long enough to know it first hand can easily google it. Anybody who wants to know all there is to know about me can easily click through the link in my profile and figure it out. There are zero attempts at anonymity on my part if somebody really wants to know more about me. My actual picture would make for an extremely boring Avatar - just another balding middle aged white guy. :bor:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Truth be told a lot of people here are friends Facebook anyways so a bunch of us know each others real name anyway..so its not that big of a deal. I use Facebook for the band and have my own account but like some people here. dont use this forums page either, its not necessary. I am not worried about a split. I am more worried of all the new members and this place losing its identity as a place for musicians just not talking about gear.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Honestly, when I saw the title of the topic my first thought was splitting off a forum for Electronic Musician. I spend more time with Live, Reason, and hardware that would fit in the EM vein than I do with keyboards. I've been wondering why there is not an EM forum, or a mention of including it within Keyboard Corner.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I joined the FB group and quickly unfollowed it. It felt...weird.

<-------- This is me. This is where I live. Doesn't get anymore transparent than that.

In the spirit of community, I try not to be a dick. KC is my home. And I will be here until dB turns off the lights.

I am more worried of all the new members and this place losing its identity as a place for musicians just not talking about gear.

New members aren't a problem, surely? And it's up to the people on here to talk about other issues (isn't it?) if they feel there's too much onus placed on gear etc...

Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

I used to have a Facebook account. Then I resigned. People wondered why I had unfriended them.

It's because of security issues. By participating in Facebook, you are agreeing to hand over everything you write, every photo you post, and everything in your personal profile. No strings attached. They can do anything with it and sell it to anyone, legally.

We (our personal information) are the product that Facebook sells to other businesses. With this information, along with information about us from all the other sources that we give this type of permission, our data is aggregated. A very precise profile is constructed of our life, the web pages we read, our sentiments, and things that we probably don't want everyone to know. A case in point is the insurance companies. I don't want to be denied insurance or a claim because of information the insurance company garnered from some silly stuff I may have posted on Facebook.

Of course, if you surf the web, or if you use credit of any kind, or if you walk into a McDonalds and log on to their Wi-Fi, you're being tracked. Data (information) is being gathered, sorted, and summarized.

Frankly, I have known this for quite a while. I realize the cow has escaped the barn.

However, Facebook is creepy. They perform tests on their users without users' knowledge. When caught, they may apologize, but they continue doing it. LINK

I can't trust my personal information to Facebook. You shouldn't either.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'll also add, there are several people here that know my real name.

Ditto.

I've met a number of forumites in person, including our esteemed moderator; without exception (to my face at least ;) ) I've gotten along well with every single one of them, and count them amongst my actual friends, not just "1-click-friends". They've all been good people that I've enjoyed hanging out with, and would readily do so again... to the point that I've been hoping that one of the East Coast hangs wouldn't conflict with a gig/tour or other obligation so I could drive down from Toronto to attend.

The FB group, on the other hand.... well, it's annoying the hell out of me. I come here because I'm not spammed with how many keyboards someone can hoard, or to have someone's music shoved in my face... so while I'm still a member of that group, I doubt I will be for much longer. :(

The nature of the FB group is totally different than this forum.

The occasional post or recently commented-on post will occasionally pop up in your general feed. I find that frustrating; when I want to see what my friends are up to, I go to FB. When I want to read about music/gear/gig philosophy, I come here. Why would anyone opt for the FB interface when they could easy see, on one uncluttered screen, the recent topics discussed here?

The KC Forum is well organized and searchable, and frankly I don't care if it is anonymous or not. Knowing the real name of a poster does not make them credible; seeing three years' worth of their insightful posts does.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived