Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiatus Kaiyote

Steve LeBlanc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd for sure go if they were at the HOB. They're at Insert Coins and it's like a video arcade type place. it's like Chuck e Cheese for people in their 20's. Someone could slip me a roofie or I could at least hope. I'll have to get the skinny on the venue. Never been there. I like to sit and listen, but so much stand in a crowd for a couple hours to see anyone. This would be a fun band to check out though.

Damn, I like this....they're playing here in May. I should go, but I'll look so outta place....what to do? lol

GO! They put on a great show.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

New track!

no longer on Vevo, Phillip. I can only assume this is not your fault.

:cop::D

It was actually the studio version of this track.

[video:youtube]

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Damn, I like this....they're playing here in May. I should go, but I'll look so outta place....what to do? lol

me too Linwood. Coming to DC early May and Baltimore late May. Probably gonna catch the DC show. Why not, right? ;)

:nopity:

I stumbled upon them on Youtube about a year ago and have been a big fan ever since. Great keyboard player!

I'm in NYC for three months right now and have tickets for their show at Gramercy Theatre in May. Can't wait. Will post a report after the concert :)

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

• 4 weeks later...

I had tickets to their concert last night at Gramercy Theatre in NYC.

My first comment: Great show! You really have to admire the level of musicianship that these guys have.

They played a lot of new material from their newest album 'Choose your weapon'. It's really groovy with a lot of polyrhythm and breaks - as a musician I find it really interesting to listen to, but my girlfriend - a self proclaimed Taylor Swift lover - found it a bit to "weird" at times. However, she really liked some of their older tracks like 'Nakamurra', they are a bit easier to follow rhythmically.

I would have to say that I like the older and more 'simple' stuff more as well. The newer songs with eight meter changes and breaks every fifth bar can be a bit to much after a while - a bit ostentatious and showy.

But all in all I really liked the concert! :)

The keyboardist, Simon Mavin, was playing a Korg Kronos and a Korg MS2000. On the second tier he had some kind of Roland keyboard, perhaps just a controller. I couldn't make out what model. On top of the Kronos he had what looked like a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal that he ran the MS2000 through. It sounded really great but had a tendency to get lost in the mix when the reverb was dialed up.

Lead singer Nai Palm was playing a Korg SV1 for one or two songs as well. She showed of some really impressive LH bass skills in one of their first songs. She was playing a pretty complex bass line while comping with the RH and singing - in meters that shifted between 11/4 and 10/4 as far as I could tell/feel. Very impressive - especially since I didn't know that she could play keys.

If you have a chance to see them live, I would definitely recommend it. Money well spent (except for the 9 dollar beers).

David

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

Oh, and I have to give it up for the drummer. He has great chops and played some really interesting percussion-type rhythms with his right hand while keeping the beat going with the bass drum, snare and hihat.

Endorsed by Casio.

I had tickets to their concert last night at Gramercy Theatre in NYC.

If you have a chance to see them live, I would definitely recommend it. Money well spent (except for the 9 dollar beers).

David

Markyboard and I are going to see them Saturday May 09 here in beautiful downtown Washington DC. :D

beers here are $9.00 also :taz:

:nopity:

Archived