Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh, boy. Is this a new Kronos?

sherry

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The USB keyboards are most beneficial for entering text for the improved SET LIST mode. Set List has a number of significant enhancements. Start around 20:00

[video:youtube]

Busch.

If I was starting from scratch and needed a main board I would get this if I thought I could use the RH3.

I hate replacing primary hardware because I have to recreate all my setups. .... But SET LIST looks friggin cool. Like Master Mode on steroids. It looks like you could maybe even use the Comments section to store basic number notation charts.

Long reboot times scare me a little though.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

T

definitely something to work around. Lots of owners that gig have a UPS.

Plus its wise to have some type of backup board if there is any other crash or lockup.

The iPad app might be part of the backup solution

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

IIRC, boot time is also supposed to be significantly improved with the new OS.

According to part 1 of the video manual, it takes about a minute and a half.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I like the aesthetic refresh. And it will probably grab them more attention than if they just announced the new features as an OS upgrade for the existing Kronos/X. And they may have made internal changes based on parts availability, or improved quality, or lower cost, who knows. But if the OS is fully (or at least largely) backward compatible, I think that's a GREAT move by Korg. One of the biggest marketing advantages of Nord is that they are better than most at not leaving current owners in the dust, routinely coming out with updates (of course most notably, new samples). The underlying PC architecture of the Kronos and the fact that the OS is stored on rewritable SSD lends itself to being able to be kept current more easily than most boards (even Nord), so I think that can be a similar selling point for Korg, that the platform is one that can be updated and kept current. You can't turn your old Motif into a new Motif, or an old Roland into a new Roland... but you can turn your old Kronos into the new Kronos.

Hmm, maybe not as groundbreaking as it looks..

It's funny, people complain when a company comes out with such big changes to their board that they can't upgrade their existing gear ("I want the Electro 4 features in my Electro 3!"), and people complain when the changes are minor enough that you can ("Why didn't they do something more revolutionary? Same old, same old."). ;-)

Well stated.

Busch.

From what I understand, all previous Kronos models will be able to update to the new OS, which will give them all of the new functionality except the SGX-2. The SGX-2 will be available for purchase from Korg.

My understanding is SGX-2 is a part of the new OS and as such, will be included in the update. The Berlin Grand though is said to be a pay-for option.

Busch.

T

definitely something to work around. Lots of owners that gig have a UPS.

The iPad app might be part of the backup solution

Thats me!

I do hope there is an upgrade path (the Korg rep over on the Korg Forum is not denying it) because that Set List fix - with zoom - would make this a near perfect workstation for me.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Of note:

- The 61 is heavier and slightly wider. Presumably, this is due to the wood end caps.

- They're now called Kronos6, Kronos7, and Kronos8.

- There's a perforated grill on the top back edge. Perhaps this helps with the heat?

Pricing up at Sweetwater. Looks like a nice price drop on the new ones as well:

61-key $2,999

73-key $3,399

88-key $3,699

Busch.

Hmmm? The X73 is still $3,699. What hardware compromises is Korg making or is there a KronosX fire sale coming?

so I could find a deal on an original Kronos(although reading the posts on the korg forum show a lot of issues) or an X and update for basically free?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

61-key $2,999

73-key $3,399

88-key $3,699

Busch.

Hmmm? The X73 is still $3,699. What hardware compromises is Korg making or is there a KronosX fire sale coming?

I would hope so, why buy a 61 key x for 3199 when the kronos 6 is 2999???

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

61-key $2,999

73-key $3,399

88-key $3,699

Busch.

I would hope so, why buy a 61 key x for 3199 when the kronos 6 is 2999???

No reason at all unless they pulled a Roland and cheapened to crap out of the hardware.

From what I understand, all previous Kronos models will be able to update to the new OS, which will give them all of the new functionality except the SGX-2. The SGX-2 will be available for purchase from Korg.

My understanding is SGX-2 is a part of the new OS and as such, will be included in the update. The Berlin Grand though is said to be a pay-for option.

Busch.

That makes sense (i.e. the engine itself is part of the OS update, but the content of the new piano is something a user would need to purchase) - good clarification.

Too damned heavy.

Dang .... you are right. It weighs more than my current Yamaha aircraft carrier.

No reason at all unless they pulled a Roland and cheapened to crap out of the hardware.

new phrase is coined :roll:

so instead of getting BORKED, you can get ROLANDED??

SpaceStation V3,

The USB keyboards are most beneficial for entering text for the improved SET LIST mode. Set List has a number of significant enhancements. Start around 20:00

[video:youtube]

Busch.

Busch this is great. I am late to the thread but I may have to get one of these. I like the setlist features. It would help me live.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Set List has a number of significant enhancements.

One of the things I don't like about Set List mode is that after you select a slot, and then use one (or more) of the controllers (e.g., a slider), you can't return the slot to its original status by simply re-selecting the active slot. You must first select another slot, and then select the slot you were previously using. Does anyone know if they addressed this in the new Kronos/OS?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

On the Set List screen, instead of having to hit the forward/back buttons repeatedly, I'd like to see tabs (preferably user-nameable) to directly navigate to any of the 8 pages.

Definitely!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

One of the things I don't like about Set List mode is that after you select a slot, and then use one (or more) of the controllers (e.g., a slider), you can't return the slot to its original status by simply re-selecting the active slot. You must first select another slot, and then select the slot you were previously using. Does anyone know if they addressed this in the new Kronos/OS?

It is possible to reset the controls to their stored values without selecting a different sound. Do a search for the Reset Controls button in the Kronos Parameter Guide.

Keven Spargo, Sound Designer

www.ksounds.com

Quality sounds for Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and Kontakt formats

Busch.

This is all very good news, and I look forward to updating my Kronos 61 to OS 3.0. I like AnotherScott's suggestion of having page-directing side tabs on the Set List page.

While I have a bunch of great B&B VA sounds, I'm still hoping that Korg will include some of the synth-specific filters from the KingKorg in a future Kronos OS update. Would especially like to see 2-pole and 4-pole state-variable filter models available. Some of the Oberheim emulations are quite good, but having those filter models would be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'd also like to have per-patch velocity curves. Of course you can modify that in some of the engines, but not piano/EP stuff.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

While I have a bunch of great B&B VA sounds, I'm still hoping that Korg will include some of the synth-specific filters from the KingKorg in a future Kronos OS update. Would especially like to see 2-pole and 4-pole state-variable filter models available. Some of the Oberheim emulations are quite good, but having those filter models would be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

That's probably #1 on my list as well. That would be worth so much to add the KK filters.

But after the Ivory announcement with the iPad I can hope that Ivory comes to the Kronos in the SGX-2 engine. With SGX-2, it could really do the Ivory pianos justice. 12-velocity layers, damper resonance, string resonance, key off, noises and now support for una corda samples. One can dream.

Busch.

I'd also like to have per-patch velocity curves. Of course you can modify that in some of the engines, but not piano/EP stuff.

Within SGX-1/2 you can use velocity bias (timbre) and velocity intensity (dynamic range) to fine tune the curve. There is no direct equivalent in EP-1 but if you get resourceful you can make it happen. Still, I agree, it would be nice to have velocity curve setting in the common area of each of the engines.

Busch.

EP-1 is where I need it the most. I find I have to dig into the keys really hard on the wurli patches to get the sound I like on the velocity setting that works best on all the other patches. So really, just an adjustment in EP-1 would make me happy.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It is possible to reset the controls to their stored values without selecting a different sound. Do a search for the Reset Controls button in the Kronos Parameter Guide.

Hey thanks a bunch, Kevin! BTW, I've really been enjoying the Epic Grand in my Kronos. :thu:

- George Bernard Shaw

I wonder if that venting along the top rear means they might be able to use a smaller/quieter fan.

I like AnotherScott's suggestion of having page-directing side tabs on the Set List page.

I was thinking even simpler than that (less redesign), the direct navigation buttons could go along the bottom, where there is plenty of space. Like where the graphic EQ or cut/copy/paste buttons appear when needed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived