Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keyboards do you never get tired of hearing?

Ken Beaumont

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vox Continental

Farfisa Compact/Deluxe/Duo.

There are few things in this world that leave a worse taste in my mouth than tranny organs....

Pun intended? :blush:

I know this place is a water-cooler, but... Did we expect any other answers than what we got? :confused:

Well.. that was certainly unexpected! :roll:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

No love here for a CP70 or DX7 I guess :laugh:

Wrong!

Actually I'll just add all my signoff to this.......

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand

love them all!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I get a bit bored with the massive modular lead sounds. All brash and no expression. Compare some of Keith's lead sounds to Derek's Monster Lead for example.

Massive Oberheim OB fan and love Roland pads from JV-1080/JD-990 era though. Very partial to Jarre-style string machines and Radiophonic VCS3 stuff too.

Sorry, you can't beat Fanfare for the Common Man, Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition............to name but a few
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Yes, it's about the player/operator more than the specific keyboard for me too. I bet even a Meowsic would sound great in the hands of someone like Greg Phillinganes
At a K C Mid-Atlantic Hang a few years back, SK brought a tiny little plastic synth in a paper bag and blew away all the rest of our big rigs with expensivo gear. Just ask anyone who was there!

After watching Eric Byrd conduct a master class on a beat-up Roland keyboard (highest 2 octaves completely non-functional), I believe it!

I still like my D-50 a lot.

Everyone I have ever seen play a SY-99 sounded great. Chester used the heck out of one in Santana.

But gear is overrated. Goldy did the first Steppenwolf record on a Leslie that sounded like a broken washing machine and made history with it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I still like how Joe Zawinul got such great organic sounds from his synths.

Favourite example, if you have one?

I'll start with the classic - the "horn section" is Oberheim Four Voice + Shorter's sax.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU '

2nd most adventurous synthesist in jazz after Sun Ra.

Favourite example, if you have one?

I'll start with the classic - the "horn section" is Oberheim Four Voice + Shorter's sax.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU '

2nd most adventurous synthesist in jazz after Sun Ra.

Very cool. Cheers.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

I agree. Even often using such simple methods as a subtle pitch envelope so it sounded less "autotuned". I still remember my disappointment when I got my first synth that I though should be able to make Z-like sounds (SCI 6-trak in unison mode) only to find that the smallest step in pitch modulation was WAY too much (with a mild pitch envelope, you'd hear the steps). Arrgh.

But for an example of the simple organic elegance of Zawinul's playing, I'd pick another tune from the same album:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RKsaRt3PCw

Solo at 4:40, but it would be a shame to fast-forward through it all.

Agreed, Joe on Black Market

To me -that was the apex of his synth work (next to Mr Gone)

As well as the apex of the band--Chester and Al were the ultimate groove rhythm section---

I'm Surprised there's been no mention yet of Jan Hammer circa 1972--77

Imo the most inspired Synthesist (till he went of the deep end) along with George Duke

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Although this thread would then become

"What KEYBOARD PLAYERS do you never tire of hearing "?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I'm with the basic crowd too: Rhodes, Piano, Hammond, Wurli.

I love Joe's synths on anything, Stevie or George Duke on clav.

And like Learjeff, I've never understood the love for the Mellotron.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Archived