Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keyboards do you never get tired of hearing?

Toano88

I've followed the other thread, and have to ask what boards are timeless? I would have to say a Rhodes and Hammond B3 and Minimoog. But is there anything that is fairly recent that the forum feels will be long lived?

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B3's, Rhodes, Wurli's, Clav's , piano's. I will never get sick of any of these sounds, that's why they have been around for so long and will be for years to come. I can take or leave any synth sound, but they're a ton of fun to play though !

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Waiting... :snax:

Who's gonna be the first to say "Accordion"? :roll:

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/517219/517219,1306048889,8/stock-photo-steampunk-accordion-player-77685094.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

A good grand piano (Steinway I happen to dig, some Yamaha's are cool).

I think at some point should (again) own or build a good analog synthesizer, preferably as flexible as possible (PCBs with connectors, matrix connections, all that), because I think that somehow also falls in the category asked about here.

I didn't grow weary of my RD300 equivalent I used for years, I think an SY99 would still interest me, and there are some modern keyboards that would keep me musically interested for a long time, I'm sure.

T.

B3's, Rhodes, Wurli's, Clav's , piano's. I will never get sick of any of these sounds, that's why they have been around for so long and will be for years to come. I can take or leave any synth sound, but they're a ton of fun to play though !

Pretty much this. Synth sounds are cool used in the right context.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

No love here for a CP70 or DX7 I guess :laugh:

I sometimes wonder what modern boards (2000 - Present) will be highly sought after or emulated in 2040? Virus? Prophet? Casio?

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Piano is my #1 by default. It was my starter instrument, but beyond the sound proper, it taught me what it meant to be fully immersed in a sound environment. It still helps me to appreciate synths even more.

The Mellotron. Its uniquely narrow spot in the spectrum isn't plumbed broadly enough. The full library offers much more than choir and strings. Sure, I'm hip to its grainy, prog-y reputation, but all the more reason to deliberately play it outside that perception. Like a Clav or B-3, where it rocks, it rocks mightily. I don't mind the small 'cheat' of the Chamberlin/Optigan/Birotron triad in software one bit, either.

In addition, I could almost marry the two classical guitars in MOTU's Symphonic Instrument. They're intimate and near-perfect for my purposes.

For synths, my Korg 01Wfd and TR61. I love the company's programming team above all others (praise Hotop), but those two instruments allow me to readily use everything I've learned from the beginning. Korg is where I cut my secondary analog and primary wavetable teeth. :keys:

"What's the password?"
"'I have bourbon.'"
     ~ Joe Hill, "Full Throttle Stories"

My all time fave sounds are -

1. Steinway Grands that sound like this >

2. Tony Bank's Synclavier (which we sadly hear no more) >

3. The yamaha CP70/80's >

4. All Kurzweil overall (even the early ones) > http://youtu.be/DeDDOu6Lgm8

5. Mellotron on full throttle >

6. I love some of the Roland sounds too >

(love that gritty Roland piano :) ) and big sweeping pad .

Brett

Rhodes

Hammond

Clavinet

Wurlitzer EP

Any Synthesiser by RA Moog especially Model D Minimoog

Arp Odyssey and 2600

Mellotron

Any quality Acoustic Piano

Any quality Harpsichord (especially Flemish)

Clavichord

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I never get tired of hearing KBs that are played extremely well. That's how I got hooked on the instrument in the first place. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I am a fan of all of the vintage gear mentions - Hammond and Wurly in particular. I also cherish the Yamaha CP70 (as evidenced by all my recent posts on this topic). I also really like the Roland JX-8P, the first synth that I acquired new back in 1985. I still enjoy certain patches on this synth and it has a very nostalgic vibe for me.

I never get tired of hearing KBs that are played extremely well. That's how I got hooked on the instrument in the first place. :thu::cool:

Better answer than mine! Yes, it's about the player/operator more than the specific keyboard for me too. I bet even a Meowsic would sound great in the hands of someone like Greg Phillinganes

I never get tired of hearing KBs that are played extremely well.
That was my first thought!

The following work even if they're only played adequately:

Grand piano

Hammond + Leslie

Rhodes

pipe organ

I don't really understand all the Mellotron love. I mean, it was way cool back in the day, but a good sampler/ROMpler does what it did better, IMHO. Feel free to hurl rotten tomatoes at me now.

Yes, it's about the player/operator more than the specific keyboard for me too. I bet even a Meowsic would sound great in the hands of someone like Greg Phillinganes
At a K C Mid-Atlantic Hang a few years back, SK brought a tiny little plastic synth in a paper bag and blew away all the rest of our big rigs with expensivo gear. Just ask anyone who was there!

Vox Continental

Farfisa Compact/Deluxe/Duo.

These were heard on so many classic recordings and are still used today by artists seeking a retro/timeless vibe. Modeled emulations can be found on modern clonewheel keyboards such as Nord and Hammond SK series.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Archived