Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What about roland KC keyboard amplifier series?

lekanout

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have to generally use a line mixer with the Spacestation like most powered PA speakers? Not sure if I read anything about that in that thread which is really becoming a novel to read!

So far no. Like a lot of guys here I have different setups for different gigs. For a single keyboard gig I've used my SK1 and my PC3. Plenty of signal for the SS, no mixer needed. Other gigs I double rack the SK1 and a FA06. For that I need a mixer because the SS only has one set of inputs.

As for that other thread turning into a book, the first half is basically a history of the company and Aspen himself. He's quite well known in the electronic amp design community. There has been an ongoing longshoremens strike at the west coast ports that has thrown a big monkey wrench into the SS delivery schedule which is another reason why that thread is so long. There have been dozens of people there who ordered their amps 6-8 weeks ago who are just now getting their deliveries.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

At lease better than reading about Roland KC amps. Even a 25 year old Peavey Guitar Amp sounds as good or better than a KC (does KC stand for "kinda cruddy" ?

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Bob, no offense but you're starting to sound like Craig with the VR09. Do we also have to read about SS3 even in this thread?

You have a point but he did ask the question. And I agree, the KC's used to sound like crap because a friend had the 500 and I had the dubious distinction of playing a gig through it. I can't say for sure about the new ones because I haven't played through one. It's possible I guess they're better.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I owned a KC 500 for about a year. Absolutely the worst sounding amp I ever played. Sure it had nice casters, but who listens to the freekin' casters?

I heard the SS3. Although it sounded good in a very sound unfriendly environment (NAMM), I was not as impressed as others on this forum (especially considering the $700+ cost). My two EV's sound great to me, and two of them cost $100 less than one SS3. Plus I don't need a subwoofer for great bass (which many SS3 owners are buying to make up for the lack of deep bass from it's single 8" woofer). Add that into the equation and the SS3 system may end up costing more than $1000.

The best sounding amps/speakers I ever owned were a pair of EV SXA360's. They were expensive ($1000 ea) as they used super high quality amps, speakers, and cabinet materials. Plus they were made in the USA. Unfortunately EV could not compete with the lower priced competition, so they discontinued them and came out with their new, made in China ZLX models. Selling those SXA360's was the worst musical equipment mistake I ever made.

But speaker quality is as subjective as any topic here. So try it out for yourself, for you are the only judge that matters.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I always wondered why a renowned company like Roland would produce such crap like the Roland KC300/350/500/550 series for decades without ever improving them. The worst part of these amps were the cheap blatant plastic tweeters. But I think they sold a ton of these amps even though they are completely overpriced. They are advertised as 'Developed in the USA'? Shame on you Roland!

BTW: I still own a KC300 which I bought used for 75 bucks years ago. After I replaced the silly plastic tweeter with a decent Beyma CP16 ring radiator the amp became usable at least. Currently I am using it as a subwoofer for the Spacestation. Due to it's decent Eminence 12" woofer it's pretty workable for that job. It always depends what you make of it...

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I always wondered why a renowned company like Roland would produce such crap like the Roland KC300/350/500/550 series...

Judging by some of their latest models, I am not surprised at anything Roland does. With enough hype people will buy anything.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Unfortunately, I am forced to play through one now and then as my bandleader has several (KC500, KC300, maybe KC100) and there are gigs where he only wants one shared amp on stage.

There is almost no control over tone at all (but bear in mind that I am talking about my bass guitar plugging into it at this point; a keyboard at least can have its presets tweaked with careful EQ before the show).

Beyond the low feature set for the price point, my initial reaction when I saw the topic (before opening it) was standard ROFL. I thought maybe someone decided to poke us all by starting the topic, but it turns out to have been a real question from a prospective buyer.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well,even if it's funny for some answer,i would like to thanks everybody for sharing experiences here in this topic i created.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

We are the hapless victims here.

Often, especially for us stereo nuts, we are the only ones that will ever hear our "sound" at its best...in the middle of the stereo field. And that's what struck me about the KC (500)...stereo?

For me, in theory it would be perfect because I played out of a pair of JBL Eon G2 10's that were ok enough but sorely lacked in bass. Now, the first problem with the 500 is the overwhelming bass "tuning"...which is really all it had, with mids(actually no mids, never mind) and highs (????) thrown in as an afterthought.

Relegated to just bass duties and as a mixed send to the JBL's which I threw out wide to the edge of the stage it kinda worked, but the 500 doesn't give EQ'd outs so even though I got great "field effect" the bass could not be isolated. Oh well.

Then a 550 popped up for $35 because the owners cat started ripping off the rat fur. Snatched it up and could see how the Roland techs who were probably imprisoned and tortured daily for releasing the 500, tried to address it's horrific issues....and failed!

No one has seen them for years and only a select few actually know who they are. Rumors about a Siberian location have been heard.

• 1 month later...

Forget everything said in this thread. Seriously.

Get the new Spacestation talked about here

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602284/Head_s_up_SpaceStation_keyboar#Post2602284

The gig reports started around page 20 or so and they're like 95% positive and not just positive but positively raving. This amp is the bomb.

Bob

Of course, that is the thing to do -- and certainly what I did. Every new product gets talked up, but getting praised for 50 pages of postings [now more than 70] was convincing enough for me -- even though it meant paying twice as much as I had for my KC's, and waiting because Sweetwater was out-of-stock. It was worth the wait (though I did end up buying a bass amp as sub to add more low-end resonance for organ sounds).

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

This rig always gives the old dudes an aneurysm....

http://oi60.tinypic.co/2emk5d0.jpg

show off :)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have been in a couple of " real" music shops in the UK (real as in they sell upright pianos, brass and woodwinds). In the keyboard section, they push KC amps. Apparently, they have "always sold them". Some Roland salesman must have done a great job back in the day.

In one, I asked why they didn't think of nearfield monitors, or p/a. i was met with blank looks all round.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Probably because they're so easy to get hold of?

Yep! Most backline companies around Dallas will supply a KC amp if not otherwise specified in your rider if you request a keyboard amp.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Sweetwater is expanding their retails store. This is a rendering of their new new keyboard area .. Look at all those KC amps...

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2r5rx2r.jpg

a) everyone on the forum is wrong

b) Roland gives SW a few 100 KC amps on loan ( no charge)

I select b)

[70's Songwriter]

Sweetwater is expanding their retails store. This is a rendering of their new new keyboard area .. Look at all those KC amps...

I select b)

:2thu:

Notice that's simply an artist's rendering. If you look closely, all the keyboards are backwards. really noticeable on the Fantoms....pads on left.... ;)

Plus, the "shopper" is being pulled into the KC Amplifier vortex, from which there is no escape, and slowly disappearing.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I select b)

HAHA! I say

c) Those are the only speakers/amps in the AutoCad program.

I select b)

HAHA! I say

c) Those are the only speakers/amps in the AutoCad program.

d) someone is artistically clever ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Archived