Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Joe Sample

Jazz+

Joe Sample (Feb. 1, 1939-Sept. 12, 2014).

A very soulful pianist has gone.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUf4cdaI8s

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2uueXBSdU0

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jam in Peace, Mr. Joe Sample.

We used to play this tune a lot back in Nairobi:

[video:youtube]

I think Joe Sample wrote it for one of George Benson's albums. I remember soloing in Ab minor was harder than you'd think.

But the all-time classic is -of course- this one:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXEnEx-YSNg

This is terribly sad news.

As a (Jazz) Crusaders fan, Joe Sample has been an undeniable influence on my playing and musical tastes. I remember hearing 'Street Life' on an compilation CD as a child, and just loving the sound of his electric piano. From there, I started collecting the early-mid 70's Crusaders albums that were available on CD (some expensive Japanese imports!), and working my way back through the Jazz Crusaders material. Joe's playing was always superb...he leaves behind an incredible body of work. The man was a legend!

I recall Mike Martin mentioning that Joe was not in the best of health recently, but the news of his passing is a very sad surprise.

This is one of my favourite Crusaders tune, and Joe's solo from the 2:25 mark is immense:

RIP Joe.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I had the pleasure of working with Joe a lot over the last few years. Thanks to a chance encounter with his tour manager on an airplane 3 years ago, I was able to meet Joe have dinner with him and introduce him to the PX-350. The rest as they say is history. The fact that Joe loved the PX-350 really inspired everyone including engineers at Casio to make the PX-5S what it is today. Joe was an absolute gentlemen and hysterically funny too. A joy to be around whether he was playing the piano or not. I'm so devastated to hear of this new this morning. R.I.P. Joe Sample.

15202053026_ba186733b4_b.jpgJoe Sample by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

:o Oh my God.....noooooo! Hadn't even heard this and now the numbing feeling of great loss. Joe definitely (as with many others) influenced my style and flava'. To say that he'll be missed just won't even cut it. I feel so lost and at a lost right now......can't even cry

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

So sorry to hear about this. :(

I came to know about Joe in an indirect way, first hearing him on Joni Mitchell's classic album, "Court & Spark" .

From there I went to his work with Tom Scott & the LA Express. I played this record to death.

Further exploration led me to the fact he was a member of the Crusaders. This was right after they dropped *Jazz* from the name of the group. Like Peter, I wore out the "Chain Reaction" record.

At this point in my life I wasn't really ready for Bird, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins, Miles, etc. JS definitely helped bridge my STL rock bar band background into the more sophisticated language of Jazz.

I bought every record of his, in addition to everything he played on as a sideman.

I enjoyed seeing him in later years hook up with my friend, the great bassist Jay Anderson, for a return to his acoustic roots with some trio records and concerts.

One of my favorite Joe tunes, "It happens everyday"

Driving back from Pacific Grove last week I heard the great Buster Williams classic tune,"Firewater", on Real Jazz. These guys were playing their tails off back in 1969 . Nice solo from Joe.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbvU56a3uqU

Joe influenced hundreds of pianists and keyboardists. A true stylist. Again very sad news, but he left an enormous legacy and discography that will be treasured by all for many generations to come.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Wow. Another legendary KB player with a signature style has left us. Thanks for the music and influence. RIP Mr. Sample. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh, man...I remember reading a few months back that he had to postpone some concerts due to illness. I was hoping he'd recover. :(

I had the privilege of meeting Joe back in '90. My travels brought me to his hometown of Mammoth Lakes, CA. and I even got to hang out with him briefly a few times. For such a phenomenal musician he was humble, approachable and a genuine good guy. Rest in peace, Joe. And thanks for all the great music!

><>

Steve

Horrible news. Joe was one of those musicians who you can't help loving. His music always had style, elegance, and complexity, and kept all those qualities in a popular genre - not a easy task if you ask me.

My favorite song is "It Happens Every Day" (already posted by Dave), which I used to play with a big band.

So here's an entire concert with Joe and the NDR Big Band. Simply great!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwtnWo0O8I

I always loved this number from the 1974 live album 'Scratch':

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E0OE4TTRCY

(start from 12m30s)

There's no blazing solo from Joe, however, I just love the intimate live atmosphere, and listening to trombonist Wayne Henderson warmly introduce each band member - especially Joe Sample. I'm not going to transcribe his words...just listen and smile. ;)

I do hope Verve/Pacific Jazz will eventually release a tastefully packaged and remastered version of the 'Live at the Lighthouse 69' album in future. This remains the only Jazz Crusaders album not to have been released, and is significant for being the first recording to feature Joe on an electric piano (a Hohner Pianet).

RIP Joe.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived