Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Joe Sample

Jazz+

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad that i saw him live, i think it was in 2010 at the Stuttgart Jazz Open with Randy Crawford. After the show i did buy a record by him (personally) which he signed for me. Such a nice person and such a great musician who inspired me so much at the Rhodes! RIP, Joe.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Joe Sample (Feb. 1, 1939-Sept. 12, 2014).

A very soulful pianist has gone.

I'm curious, why do you consider him a "soulful pianist", because it isn't the first thought that comes to mind when I think of his playing or soloing. It's not a color thing, is it? Most of his solo output (albums-wise), including the examples people have posted here, could be considered as being very firmly in the smooth-jazz genre (even before that label existed), a genre I don't really associate with soul or soulfulness. To me, his touch on the piano (or other keys) always felt kind of "lite" and straightforward, for lack of a better word, not particularly funky, even when it was in that idiom.

As always, this is just an opinion, and I'm not certainly trying to "troll" or be disrespectful to his legacy (especially at this time), and just for co-writing "Street Life" he ensured a firm place among the legends. He was also a sideman on a bunch of my favorite albums.

"Soulful" has become a cliche. I mean, when Michael Bolton is described as soulful, it's over.

Does it make more sense to say Joe's playing tasted like butterscotch? I'm not sure that it did, but it elicits a more interesting reaction than "soulful."

Last year it was George Duke and this year its Joe Sample... I guess we're gonna be losing a lot more of our heroes as we and they get older...

I first came across Joe Sample thru the 1979 LP Streetlife. His solo on that cut is fantastic... great changes too. Can you imagine a song like that in the charts these days?

Later in the 80s I came across a Best of CD and loved cuts like "Snowflake", "Nightcrawler" and the like... later I got a lot of their LPs like Scratch, Streetlife, Free As the Wind, Rhapsody and Blues and more.

I loved his approach to Rhodes... very heavy percussive touch (he would apparently put his Rhodes on low volume and hit the heck out of it to get the tone he got...)

Saw him at Lugano jazz festival in 2005... great acoustic jazz playing with Randy Crawford... the old tunes still worked really well...

RIP Joe...

From the NYT obit:

"He also maintained a busy career as a studio musician. Among the albums on which his keyboard work can be heard are Marvin Gayes Whats Going On, Joni Mitchells Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Tina Turners Private Dancer, Steely Dans Aja and Gaucho, and several recordings by B. B. King."

Ridiculous.

From the NYT obit:

"He also maintained a busy career as a studio musician. Among the albums on which his keyboard work can be heard are Marvin Gayes Whats Going On, Joni Mitchells Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Tina Turners Private Dancer, Steely Dans Aja and Gaucho, and several recordings by B. B. King."Ridiculous.

And,"Popsicle Toes - Michael Franks. Joe's Rhodes was a great call-and-response to Franks singing those lyrics. I covered it at gigs when it was popular. Women were giggling and making eyes when we play it at the clubs, I wonder what they were thinking about. ;) Joe "tickling' the ivories" pretty much sums it up. :)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGZ6M6t4vA

Re-posting this one, the essence of Joe's expressiveness can be heard starting at 3:40 :

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I first paid attention to Joe thanks to this from Joni Mitchell's Hissing of Summer Lawns. Skip to 3:30. Evidently this forum's video widget won't handle links to a particular spot.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_ZR0ze4eQ

I'm still trying to figure out some of the stuff he does there. Sounds to me like he was having a great time recording that track!

Every note he plays on that Joni track is basic blues scale. It's his time feel and snappy touch that makes it so marvelous.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I first paid attention to Joe thanks to this from Joni Mitchell's Hissing of Summer Lawns. Skip to 3:30. Evidently this forum's video widget won't handle links to a particular spot.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_ZR0ze4eQ

I'm still trying to figure out some of the stuff he does there. Sounds to me like he was having a great time recording that track!

Soulful! :D

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Live performances of 'The Young Rabbits' and 'Freedom Sound' from the 'Frankly Jazz' TV show recorded in 1962 (Joe was just 23!). I think Jimmy Bond is on bass:

The Jazz Crusaders' earlier 60s material ('hard bop'?) is highly recommended! It's less easier to come by than the 70s Crusaders output, however Mosaic put out a beautiful box set of their Pacific recordings a few years ago.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Every note he plays on that Joni track is basic blues scale. It's his time feel and snappy touch that makes it so marvelous.
True dat! What I'm still trying to learn from isn't the lead so much as the the sound he gets from the crashy chords on rhythm. I have stuff I can play that serves the purpose, but just isn't quite the same. His left hand in particular, though I'm sure it's mostly simple stuff.

Joe made a fairly straight ahead jazz trio album in 1976 with Ray Brown and Shelly Mann:

"Funky Blues" :

To say Joe Sample was a big influence on me would be an understatement. I have been a fan for years and have seen him perform with a trio twice. I've even had my hands on a piano he played just days before in a recording studio. If I could ever play as a true jazzer his would be my style, so tasteful and soulful. I will treasure his music more now. RIP Joe

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived