Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Joe Sample

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this beautiful Steinway B at a Casio dealer today. This piano was signed by him just a couple weeks after I met him and his relationship with Casio began. A dream piano to own. I want more than anything to own this piano....

15170419799_d6f36157af_b.jpgSteinway B - Joe Sample by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

What happens to the 2 Fender Rhodes that Joe Sample owned for decades? And his 2 Yamaha upright acoustics that he wrote on?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What was so melodic about Joe was that he never plays a melodic a phrase without a good resolution at the end of every phrase. Some players I hear leave the ends of their lines to sort of unfinished, sort of like without a punch line, and hurry to the next idea. But with Joe Sample each phrase speaks to the next phrase in a conversational sort of way, each phrase has a clear melodic resolution of some type. He was a master of shaping his melodies in a way that reaches a listener. Add to that his amazing timing and accenting of each note of every phrase.

What happens to the 2 Fender Rhodes that Joe Sample owned for decades? And his 2 Yamaha upright acoustics that he wrote on?

Plus his Wurlitzers... I've probably mentioned this before, but this cut from George Duke features a Wurlitzer that Joe lent to George for the recording. One of the warmest, sweetest-sounding Wurlies I've ever heard. Of course, the touch of the man playing it has more than a little to do with that. :-)

[video:youtube]

Jerry

What was so melodic about Joe was that he never plays a melodic a phrase without a good resolution at the end of every phrase. Some players I hear leave the ends of their lines to sort of unfinished, sort of like without a punch line, and hurry to the next idea. But with Joe Sample each phrase speaks to the next phrase in a conversational sort of way, each phrase has a clear melodic resolution of some type. He was a master of shaping his melodies in a way that reaches a listener. Add to that his amazing timing and accenting of each note of every phrase.

Great point!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived