Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I bought the CPS monogrammed cover from Sweetwater when I bought my SSv3. It works great, fits snugly and I'm sure it will be fine. Somewhere in the first 20-30 pages of this massive thread someone recommended this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-Gal-Storage-Tote-17200553/204774811?keyword=husky+20-gallon+storage+tote.

That person said you can put the material from your original box inside that tote and it fits great. I've got one on my shopping list but haven't got it yet so can't comment. I would think that would be a little more protection than just the cover. Around the same place in the thread someone else recommended the case that Raymb1 mentions above. Me, I may consider that too but someone said it fit almost TOO tightly in that case.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I originally purchased one of the first CPS covers offered, and although very durable and form fitting, I suffered some bent knobs from transport.

I have since purchased and am using the gator mixer case mentioned in this thread. It offers great protection, and when not using my bass amp, provides just the right height to set the SS on .

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Thanks Bob, I had the depth knobs to the reverb turned down, when I turned them up the sound came up with it. I have never had this happen with my other speakers so I was unaware of the solution, I normally keep the reverb down when I play.

you could try some chorus when reverb doesn't seem right for the patch, if you need tones to end a bit cleaner / more abruptly. that should also "bloom" out the sides.

for most things I do, I don't like alot of reverb. I probably use too much chorus, thats just me.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

You can call it whatever you want. I want to know how the hell this thing seems to defy physics.

Mine just arrived a few hours ago, and I had it plugged in and hooked up in a matter of minutes. Messing around a bit, I got the piano eq's and amp settings dialed in to where it's warm but crisp, and there does seem to be enough bottom for the small-mid sized venues I play at. I have the main level at about 8:00, and everything else around 12, and the volume on the keyboard is way down at about 1/3, and it's just nice.

But what I am absolutely amazed at is how the sound carries around corners and through walls. I've got the PX-5S demos going, and I'm walking all around my house. You can hear it downstairs almost as clear as in the same room. You can hear it in the bedroom down the hall at the opposite end of the house clearer than in the same room. Seriously, in a separate room 20 feet away everything sounds fuller.

While I can see wanting to use a sub with it just because I like big bottom(s), I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need one. Cannot wait to get this thing out on its first gig.

Well, it was a long journey for you, but the day has finally arrived! May you enjoy your SSv3 as much as the rest of us ...

+1, welcome to the family SB, and to our National Lampoon's excellent summer stereo adventure and holiday!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

My "Spot the Space Station" photo from last night at Oh Grady's in Northridge:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/Dave%20w%20band_zpsylfv2dbi.jpg

Why my pic is extra cool - Aspen took it.

dB

Have to chime in here, this shot taken w/my Droid phone..but after hearing Dave's band...I wish I had brought my Canon XA10 w/ serious stereo audio recording potential because Dave's band was shit hot, and the SS3 even surprised me!

DB had a very shallow (read; cramped) stage footprint and so had his SS3 set sideways on that amp stand technique popularized on this thread. This was also the first chance I ever had to hear my SS3 "sideways" with a shit hot band in a Rock setting. Very impressive, and it more than covered that venue; big but not loud, and sat really nicely in the mix...no matter where you sat. The guitars, Bass and drums were "perfect", and the vocalist in this band was amazing. I only wish I had heard him in the PA as well as Dave and his band mates...but this was a hard venue for a band (and a PA) as the audience was basically 180...a thin long room w/the band in the middle. Still, under the challenging circumstances, a job well done!

They played a (very) wide variety of 70's and 80's Rock and even some obscure Beatles tracks...and they nailed them all.

Next time. I'll be sure to bring a recording rig and capture that energy...and DB and his band are definitely not lacking in energy!

Here's a pic I took showing the way Dave had his SS3 set up "sideways" on that cramped stage...it worked VERY well...and now having heard I can highly recommend it! Also, in this position, there is not complaints from anyone who is on axis with the Side speaker...and I heard absolutely no "down side" to this approach (ooops, pun intended).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/DB%20doing%20SS3%20Sideways_zpsri2y2oep.jpg

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

...showing the way Dave had his SS3 set up "sideways" on that cramped stage...it worked VERY well...and now having heard I can highly recommend it! Also, in this position, there is not complaints from anyone who is on axis with the Side speaker...and I heard absolutely no "down side" to this approach (ooops, pun intended).

photo.php?fbid=655968911205839&set=pcb.655969127872484&type=1&theater

Looks great !

A.C.

I see from Aspen's photo that the SSv3 is sideways with the speaker firing down. Are the rest of you positioning it this way, the opposite way, or does it matter?

11057370_655968911205839_2350602675467282551_o.jpg

Here for the gear.

What I'd like to know is: When you position your SSv.3 sideways, do you always set it with the side speaker firing down? Does it make any difference which direction the side speaker is firing, up or down?

Here for the gear.

What I'd like to know is: When you position your SSv.3 sideways, do you always set it with the side speaker firing down?

Yes.

Does it make any difference which direction the side speaker is firing, up or down?

Again, yes.

When it points down, it reflects off the stage and radiates outward into the room really nicely. Obviouly, results can vary depending on how reflective the surface of stage itself is...

I tried it pointing up once - didn't seem to work anywhere near as well. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Pianomike, your keyboard must have real stereo patches in it. Check the manual and try those. They probably sound even better than adding 'verb to a mono patch.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

When the ss is sideways like that on a stand it is no longer in contact with the floor. Aspen always recommended that it be on the floor (tilted) for best bass response. Do u have the same bass response on a stand sideways?

It's hard to say, because I typically roll deeper frequencies off a bit on my rig to try and stay out of the way of my bass player.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

When the ss is sideways like that on a stand it is no longer in contact with the floor. Aspen always recommended that it be on the floor (tilted) for best bass response. Do u have the same bass response on a stand sideways?

When any amp is acoustically coupled to a floor or wall that can vibrate, you will arguably get a bit better bass response. How much? Depends. Will it matter? Depends again.

The potential of a bandmate getting an earful from the side-facing speaker can be a real issue. I had one gig where the drummer justifiably complained until I figured out what was going on. If you scroll back dozens of pages, you'll see discussions of various baffles and folding ears to focus this sound forward.

For me, the better/easier solution is sideways on an amp stand. I don't think I give up hardly any bass in the process. Besides, I don't do heavy bass (leaving room for the bass player!), and -- if it was a concern -- I'd schlepp along my Behringer B1200-D 12" cheapo sub.

As always, adjust width to taste :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

So I got an amp stand, and wouldn't you know it, when I try to use it on it's side, the support arm for the stand goes right in the side speaker opening! I have to put it way offset to get it to work.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

What's so bad about the sound of the side speaker? Am reading about it being aimed away from other band members.

My impression is the side speaker is very mid-rangey by itself -- no lows, no highs. But that could just be the nature of the R-L signal that's being pushed through it. If somebody on stage is in direct line of it and not getting any of the front, it's gonna sound like crap to them.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

What's so bad about the sound of the side speaker? Am reading about it being aimed away from other band members.

The way the SSv3 works, the front speaker gets a nice R+L signal, the side speaker gets a rather contrived R-L signal -- essentially the "stereo differences". Essential to how the SSv3 works.

That R-L side speaker is not a nice signal to have driving in your ear all night, as I've been told by a few. Pity the poor drummer, bassist, etc. who's lined up in the firing range, and that's what they hear all night.

This is not a hit on the SSv3, just something to be cognizant of.

It's completely manageable if you're aware, e.g. face the side-firing speaker downwards, use a deflector, position the side-firing speaker so it doesn't fry innocent people, etc.

All sorts of easy, clever solutions exist.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm curious about additional opinions regarding using a bass amp vs a dedicated subwoofer. Timwat was very positive about his GK bass amp - most others (who want more bass response) seem to have gone the subwoofer route. Any additional experiences with bass amps out there?