Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

When somebody wants to get into technical details they MUST go back through this thread. This "what is stereo" and "why is the sub out mono" was explained in excruciating detail by the man himself, Aspen.

Bob

Maybe, but I prefer J.Dan´s and Timwat´s interpretations.

Much more entertaining.

124 pages for an amp is insane anyway.

A.C.

I'm not really a stickler for the terminology. I could happily make the argument that any two separate but related signals are "stereo" if I really had to. I just meant, in response to "how could a stereo box not have stereo outs??" that it's not that kind of stereo box. It's not an "LR-in-preserved-signal-state" box. It's a box that uses L and R to do something else with.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

You can call it whatever you want. I want to know how the hell this thing seems to defy physics.

Mine just arrived a few hours ago, and I had it plugged in and hooked up in a matter of minutes. Messing around a bit, I got the piano eq's and amp settings dialed in to where it's warm but crisp, and there does seem to be enough bottom for the small-mid sized venues I play at. I have the main level at about 8:00, and everything else around 12, and the volume on the keyboard is way down at about 1/3, and it's just nice.

But what I am absolutely amazed at is how the sound carries around corners and through walls. I've got the PX-5S demos going, and I'm walking all around my house. You can hear it downstairs almost as clear as in the same room. You can hear it in the bedroom down the hall at the opposite end of the house clearer than in the same room. Seriously, in a separate room 20 feet away everything sounds fuller.

While I can see wanting to use a sub with it just because I like big bottom(s), I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need one. Cannot wait to get this thing out on its first gig.

Well, it was a long journey for you, but the day has finally arrived! May you enjoy your SSv3 as much as the rest of us ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Well, it was a long journey for you, but the day has finally arrived! May you enjoy your SSv3 as much as the rest of us ...

You've been following this dreadful saga, eh? I guess it couldn't be avoided with all the questions I've been firing out there.

I've got the PX-5S plugged into it now, but at some point I need to unbag the CP4 and see how different that's going to be to dial in. The modern grand on the PX is brighter than the CFX I use 99.9463% of the time, so things could certainly change there. I may have to use one of the brighter variations. Even in this small area, though, I can hear that 'spacial dispersion', or whatever you want to call it. If I can get that pinch of brightness to come through out of the CP4 and fill the room, I'll be a very happy guy.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Another spot the SS3. Rig was SK1 for organs and Muse Receptor for pianos (pianotek) EPs (Lounge Lizard) pads/strings (Omnisphere).

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_181101_zpsyoeyasyc.jpg

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Another spot the SS3. Rig was SK1 for organs and Muse Receptor for pianos (pianotek) EPs (Lounge Lizard) pads/strings (Omnisphere).

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_181101_zpsyoeyasyc.jpg

Nice compact rig -- I like that!

I think we need a 'Spot the SS' thread.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I think it's double-cool knowing that your guitar players can hear you around a corner!

:cool:

Jamb session!

I'm pretty sure you can only play Doors music at Jamb sessions.

I thought that was dB's new band, The Car Doors.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It seems a lot hinges on the SSv3 for a good Doors sound....

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Maybe they could open the Doors with a little swing....

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

THIS, especially the EP's :thu:

Oh yeah -- and pads and strings and that stuff. All the setups I use sound wonderful.

wondering why it took you so long :D

I was coincidentally pondering on that very question myself. The thing is, about 6 months ago when I was last looking to upgrade my live sound, I was in the duo. I did give the SS a close look; but knowing the places and the close quarters we usually play in, if I had gotten a SS at the time, it would almost always have to be situated where my partner would have been getting blasted by the side speaker. The guy is very old-school -- as in stuck-in-his-ways-ain't-never-gonna-change-for-nothin'-or-nobody old school. So I know there would have been nothing but bitching about the sound, because his simple mind would not have been able to comprehend the possibility that it sounds different out there than it does up here, forget trying to educate him on the fact that the amp is designed to do exactly that. So I went the traditional route and just upgraded the active PA speakers.

Then a few months ago I got tired of his crap and sent him packing. My first solo gig was outside, so the two speakers in fairly close proximity to each other (on a double-mount on a single pole) worked pretty well. My second solo gig was inside, in a place that we had played often as a duo (and in fact was the proverbial last straw for me because he kept playing louder and louder all night, despite me and everybody else telling him to keep it down -- but that's another story). So I set up with the two DBR-10's on separate stands, because now I had room for two stands, and proceeded to blow the place out. It was impossible for me to tell how loud it was because I was smack in between them both. After several visits from the proprietor and the usual palms-down gesture, I eventually got it down to a reasonable level, but those two speakers were absolute overkill for that venue.

And that's when I said f@ck it, it's time to take a serious look at the SS3. Fired a few more questions out here in the forum, got the answers I wanted to hear and finally pulled the trigger. My thinking here is, in places like that where people want to be able to talk over the music, the SS will be much easier to control and still sound full. The fact that the CP4 sounds so damn good through it is just icing on the cake.

Now what's really interesting is that I also grabbed a PX-5S for the home music room earlier this week, and it sounds awesome through the studio monitors, where I was never overly thrilled with the CP4 through that same setup. When the SS3 first arrived, I plugged the PX into it, and while it sounded ok, I wasn't immediately blown away by it. It sounded good, better than any other keyboard amp (though I've never run the PX through anything but studio monitors), but I had a hard time dialing the AP's in to where I really liked it. Then last night I unbagged the CP4 and hooked it up, straight into the SS -- no mixer. In a very short time I had it EQ'd to where it sounds like I'm playing a concert grand in my dining room. Blown away.

So the CP4 being not-so-amazing in the studio monitors is fine, because the PX-5S sounds great there, and it was intended for home use. And the CP4 sounding like it does through the SS is just perfect because that's my gigging board.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

So the CP4 being not-so-amazing in the studio monitors is fine, because the PX-5S sounds great there, and it was intended for home use. And the CP4 sounding like it does through the SS is just perfect because that's my gigging board.

all's well that ends well :thu:

:nopity:

I have a question regarding different sounds on the ssv amp. I cannot get over half of my electric pianos to play on it , the sound is so low I can,t here them also with a lot of the other sounds on my 700 gx. The piano comes through nice and clear I was wondering if I have a defective unit or does everyone else experience the same problem?

Mske sure you're using real, actual stereo patches. A mono signal going into the SS only plays the front speaker, the side one is dead. The trick with a mono patch is to simply put a little bit of stereo effect on it, reverb, tremolo, anything like that. If you are in fact using stereo patches already then try different cables. Aspen has said the SS is very sensitive to the input signal and a cable that may be fine with other amps can sound like crap with the SS.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I played around in the back yard and measured the free-field response of SS's mid channel. I did the mid only because when the side channel gets added in there it's going to do all sorts of peculiar stuff to the frequency response depending on angle off-axis and so on, also on what's driving it.

SSV3_ovly_1.png

Yellow curve - Mid control fccw, high control fccw

cyan - mid control @ 1 o'clock, high at fccw

white - mid control @ 1 o'clock, high at 12 o'clock (pic says 1 o'clock).

With both mid and high fully off the response looks sort of like a 122/142 Leslie cabinet, rolling off sharply at 5 kHz. It looks like a 12'oclock to 1 o'clock setting of the mid control brings up the highs to a reasonably similar level to that of the main driver.

I notice a 24 dB/octave roll off below 100 Hz. I have modeled this driver in a sealed enclosure and I get the usual 12 dB/oct roll off for a sealed enclosure. I dunno. Maybe another high-pass internally?

This was plotted with 1/6 octave smoothing, and the dips in the response are pretty typical of many drivers that don't cost a lot, though there is quite a suck out around 5.5 kHz.

I don't see much going on with the HFQ control. I've never heard it do much but had written it off as having to do with my poor hearing above 13k.

When driven with 100W this driver exceeds its 3mm xmax spec at about 140 Hz. I'm definitely using a sub before the SS. I have one in mind that uses a mini-dsp module with the 2 Way Advanced 21 plugin, which has the crossover, sub output and a very flexible parametric EQ.

Thanks Bob, I had the depth knobs to the reverb turned down, when I turned them up the sound came up with it. I have never had this happen with my other speakers so I was unaware of the solution, I normally keep the reverb down when I play.