Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you maintaning technique when on vacation?

Bobadohshe

It seems that every time I go on vacation and have to leave the piano alone for 10 days I come back and have to rebuild my technique for 3 weeks to get it back to where it was. I really really hate that. I am in a great place technically right now and I have a week long trip coming up in April and I know I'm going to come back and will have lost much facility.

How do you guys deal with this? I know everybody is different and some aren't as affect as I am. It's getting to the point where I don't want to take long vacations because of the setbacks I experience playing wise.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, same here. If I don't play for at least 30 minutes daily, my chops deteriorate quick. For vacation, there is no choice but to accept and deal with it.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

It's great when you aren't that good. I can go for a week without playing and not lose a thing!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Take into account that some of the mental/emotional/spiritual benefits of being completely away from your usual routine, indulging yourself in pleasures and experiences you don't always get to have, and really taking time off from (and freeing your mind of, really letting go) your normal responsibilities and duties....might somewhat offset the effects of missing a few days' practice. You're hopefully getting some relaxation, rejuvenation, and joy that will contribute to your level of inspiration and enthusiasm for your music when you get back to the grind. Just a thought!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

It's a common dilemna. My RD64 slips easily into a car for road trips, and the weighted action is critical for maintaining technique.

Flying? What about just slumming it in music stores wherever you find them?

Churches, community centers, and brothels tend to have pianos sitting around and people often don't mind you playing.

I guess piano-ed brothels are becoming an old world item, but you gotta love the idea, a la Pretty Baby, etc.

Other than that, as others have said, just try to relax and allow yourself to press the "reset" button on your mind.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I need a vacation I think. I am developing pain in the underside of my wrist. If I were to draw a line straight up from the pain area through my hand it would line up with my ring finger.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Going to Shanghai. Not bringing an 88 w/ me.

Take into account that some of the mental/emotional/spiritual benefits of being completely away from your usual routine, indulging yourself in pleasures and experiences you don't always get to have, and really taking time off from (and freeing your mind of, really letting go) your normal responsibilities and duties....might somewhat offset the effects of missing a few days' practice. You're hopefully getting some relaxation, rejuvenation, and joy that will contribute to your level of inspiration and enthusiasm for your music when you get back to the grind. Just a thought!

That's certainly a valid point. But a music vacation is not what I need right now. I am not worn out on my playing, in fact I'm at a really happy place with it. I had the same issue when I went to Chicago last Summer. Great trip but seriously derailed for awhile.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Go enjoy your vacation - forget the damned axe for a week or two.

The time away from the instrument will do wonders for your head.

Time - hours and days - is a huge force that can be very helpful. You'll come back with fresh ideas and fresh ears.

Unless you have to perform Wakeman's King Arthur on Ice note for note or a Chopin recital upon your return, I can't imagine the hit to your technique would be very significant.

(And if you're doing the King Arthur thing, you'd be better served by working on your skating chops anyway!)

I just spent two weeks working 16 hour days - all keyboards, all the time. And since wrapping up that project and getting home, I have not even looked at a keyboard for the past 3 days. Personally I'd go crazy without my non-keyboard time.

I never take vacations, not for a day or a week, not because of the reason you mentioned but because I literally cannot bear to be away from the piano. If I'm not practicing/teaching, I feel a kind of boredom that I find intolerable. Not great for my wife, but she takes off from time to time to travel somewhere and then it's...more practice for me YAY!!

Dave Frank

It's great when you aren't that good. I can go for a week without playing and not lose a thing!

+1 Quote of the day!

+2

:laugh: Cleaning sprayed coffee off of my desk now...

Totally me!

+3.

I have a hard time when there is a 6 month break between NAMM shows.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The less I play, the better I get.

I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, a break is always good. But I find I look for pianos in any hotel. If I'm MIA, my wife knows where to hunt for me.

Churches, community centers, and brothels tend to have pianos sitting around and people often don't mind you playing.

Oh yeah, I can REALLY see that happening.

Me:- (to Keyboard Girl) I'm just slipping off down to the brothel darling, you understand, it's for the piano.

Keyboard Girl:- (to me) You do, and you're dead, but feel free.

SSM

Keyboard Girl is my better half btw

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Unless you have to perform Wakeman's King Arthur on Ice note for note or a Chopin recital upon your return, I can't imagine the hit to your technique would be very significant.

Not exactly but some of the stuff we do is really technically demanding. And I hate not being at my best.

Kind of an interesting and deep question implicated by this thread. If being an artist was only a matter of technique, then we should just practice 10 hours a day and stop only for essentials like food, sleep, exercise.

On the other hand, I've known plenty of people who wanted to be artists but felt they first had to absorb enough broadening experiences, and so they just trekked around, having a great time. They have the soul of an artists, but never stay in once place long enough to practice a craft.

Guitarists don't really have this dilema.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I bet that your technique doesn't slip nearly as much as you think or feel that it does, Bobby. I also would bet that it doesn't take that much work to get you back to where you were.

Perhaps one approach is to allow yourself the vacation time, plus, where you give yourself a little time after you get back to tune yourself back up. Plenty of practice time maybe with a few easier gigs mixed in to get yourself back up to speed. I know that may not be possible, but it's an idea to consider.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

One of the only times you'll catch me using an x-stand: hotel room ironing board.

http://slorg.org/kc/xstand.jpg

To be real though, I'm actually on a day-job trip, have a ton of tunes to chart in the evenings, and I'm sneaking up to Austin to play at SXSW before I go back home. If I take an actual vacation, I usually want to throw myself into whatever I'm doing there (or not doing). Plus my wife would razz me to no end.

Kind of an interesting and deep question implicated by this thread. If being an artist was only a matter of technique, then we should just practice 10 hours a day and stop only for essentials like food, sleep, exercise.

On the other hand, I've known plenty of people who wanted to be artists but felt they first had to absorb enough broadening experiences, and so they just trekked around, having a great time. They have the soul of an artists, but never stay in once place long enough to practice a craft.

Guitarists don't really have this dilema.

http://slorg.org/kc/burn.jpg

Going to Shanghai. Not bringing an 88 w/ me.

So...curious what if any size fully-weighted keyboard would you consider travelling with? 76? (something the size of the SP4-7?), 73?, 61?, 49?(not made that I am aware of)

I too hate to miss more than a day or two of not playing myself. I just miss it!

According to Sven if you were in Canada you could just go to a public library where they have practice rooms with pianos. A great idea!

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I bet that your technique doesn't slip nearly as much as you think or feel that it does, Bobby. I also would bet that it doesn't take that much work to get you back to where you were.

Oh yes it does.

Archived